Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 06:20 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
...The westerners or white people never look at Asians as their equals even today. I don't blame them as Asians do have a long way to go to catch up. ...
Wow. Do you speak this freely with your many Asian friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 06:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
He did what a lot of white conservatives do if you let them talk long enough...he came outta his face.

That's why I like to wind up conservatives. They ALWAYS come through.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He did what a lot of white conservatives do if you let them talk long enough...he came outta his face.

That's why I like to wind up conservatives. They ALWAYS come through.
Sheeesh. & I guess it clarifies & provides a context to this post:

Quote:
Which brings up my point. If I do that, would you think I would be able to live to tell you?
Fear is a funny paralyzing thing.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:46 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Sheeesh. & I guess it clarifies & provides a context to this post:

Fear is a funny paralyzing thing.
Are we even being rational here? The question is if I would go to some poor black neighborhoods where police won't even go alone. Would you?

Old 03-18-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Of course. It's ignorant and insincere not to recognize the achievements of the westerners.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Working in a factory is different than working in STEM. The nature of it is different. STEM requires strictly using your brain, and you get trained for it. Work ethic helps alot, but with STEM, its nature is different.

I have rarely met incompetent Asian persons, and most of the time, I have met them in the service industry. As for factory work, I imagine it attracts many people who would otherwise be perennially unemployable. Also, many have no idea what factory work is like.

As for causes for discrimination, the same could be asked of why people committ crime. The persons affected by it don't care. They just know it's wrong and it's hurting their lives. Same goes with discrimination. I have work thankfully. However, I was unemployed for a long time. If someone is being discriminated against, and it prevents them from getting a job, said person will not care why. All that matters to said person is lack of a job and a hard life.
I work in STEM. :-) It doesn't work like you said. :-)

I met plenty incompetent Asians. Some are really book smart but can't do much in the real world.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You won't get the job just by being a referral, but you will more than likely get the interview. After that, if you're qualified, you will more than likely get the job. This system isn't going anywhere b/c it works. At the end of the day the qualifications for most jobs that aren't technical are at the place the MOST people can do it, if they're given the chance, training, and support.

I guarantee that 50% of mid-level managers could do as well a job as 50% of people who are VP-level or higher. Companies rarely get bitten in the ass from their referral hires b/c most jobs can be done adequately by anyone who's qualified.

Do you know who are among the highest academic achievers, along with Asians? First generation Nigerians and Haitians. Yet they suffer the same unemployment woes that the rest of Black American suffers. Why is that, if education is the end-all-be-all?
Got anything to support that claim?

Old 03-18-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I know plenty about Asians. I have worked with many Asians, hired some and fired some. Many of my friends are Asians. I even worked in a few Asian countries.
Read the history books. Asians have always been discriminated. The westerners or white people never look at Asians as their equals even today. I don't blame them as Asians do have a long way to go to catch up. ...
Quote:
Of course. It's ignorant and insincere not to recognize the achievements of the westerners.
Didn't you just say, "The westerners or white people never look at Asians as their equals even today."

I wondered if you consider Asian people to be your equal? & I wondered if you're as honest & sincere with your friends.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Are we even being rational here? The question is if I would go to some poor black neighborhoods where police won't even go alone. Would you?
This was the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since you so want to tell them how to vote, why don't you step away from your computer and go hang out in an all-Black neighborhood, stand on a corner or outside a convenience store and approach real Black people and tell them what you blather on about here. Please, go, preach, and revel in all the praise you'll receive.

Or, go to the same place and start asking Black people why they don't vote Republican. You might learn something other than what you hear on your right wing radio and television stations.
Quote:
Which brings up my point. If I do that, would you think I would be able to live to tell you?

Old 03-18-2016, 07:06 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
I know plenty about Asians. I have worked with many Asians, hired some and fired some. Many of my friends are Asians. I even worked in a few Asian countries.

Attack? There's no attack. My question is if Asians can do it, why can't you?

Asians have been heavily discriminated. Just look this Oscar! If anybody did that to blacks, Hollywood would be burnt to the ground! But hey, Asians are free target!

Read the history books. Asians have always been discriminated. The westerners or white people never look at Asians as their equals even today. I don't blame them as Asians do have a long way to go to catch up.

Here's link for you to read discrimination against Asians

The number one reason for Asians not be able to get into management ranks is their lack of communication skills not their race.

Any reasons blacks can't do the same?

You sir are mistaken. Many Asians came here dirt poor. Even you are right, don't you just prove my point that focusing on education is good to improve one's situation?
I happen to be Asian (and a 2nd generation American born), and I've lived and worked in Asia, so your whitesplaining is duly noted and unwelcome.

While Asians have experienced discrimination, their experience compared with African Americans is not comparable. Apples vs. Oranges. One particular issues that is a bit unique to Asians are usually being seen as the perpetual foreigner - and being scapegoated for economic or social ills, or in situations or economic or political competition with Asian countries. Think Vincent Chin, 1983. Think Wen Ho Lee in the late 1990s. It's no accident that after 9-11 when Muslim Americans started getting targeted, among the first organizations to speak out against the stereotyping and hate were Asian American organizations such as the JACL.

Media representation in the arts is of course an issue of concern but that's a different issue.

Another explanation for few Asians in management ranks, particularly for American born ones - not being part of the old boy network, as well as stereotyping - the bamboo ceiling. http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...506-story.html

Anyway, trying to play the model minority explanation here is quite spurious - and does cover up the fact that while many Asian Americans are of high socioeconomic status, there are also many who are in poverty and have high unemployment, and school drop out rates:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/administra...ritical-issues

Last edited by silverkris; 03-18-2016 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies