Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 10:10 AM

854 posts, read 586,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
OK, you're a guy with a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She decides she's going to abort the child. You say no. But you have no right to that child no matter how you want it. She has the abortion. Case closed.

Well, new scenario.

You're a guy and a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She wants to keep the child, you don't. She's going to have it no matter what you want and you are forced to an obligation of 18 years to support this child at the minimum - monetarily.

What if you could abort the child legally? She still gets to have the child, only you are now legally disconnected from the obligation. This would come at a price of no rights of visitation also.

So what's wrong with it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...al-group-says/

I would support this freedom of choice for men. After all, welfare exists for a reason and single moms have unmitigated access to that. Men should have an opt-out period, too. No one should be forced to become a parent.

I am for equal rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 10:12 AM

854 posts, read 586,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Beautifully written!

I agree.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Since you quoted me, let me expand the part that is "punishment", in my definition. Having been on both ends of the equation, my viewpoint probably is influenced and biased by my experience though..

Anyway, it costs some amount to provide for the necessities of a child: housing, clothes, medical, food, education. This can vary by geographic location, but it should be relatively easy to determine for your area: difference of cost between 1 and 2 bedroom apartment..that is the "cost" of a child's housing (plus some minor amount of utilities to heat and provide light to that room, hot water for bathing) as an example. Same for the other items. Mind you, this should be limited to "basics"...ie, the minimum necessary, not Nike shoes, "dinner" at McDonalds, cell phones/data plans, TV's for Xbox, etc., as none of them are requirements. Once we've determined the basic necessities, a monthly cost can be calculated, let's call that $X.

So, we've got our basic figure, and mom should pay half of $X, and dad should pay the other half, regardless of income. I'm perfectly fine with that, and I do not view that as "punishment". But anything above that 1/2 $X? That's punishment for the person being forced to pay beyond the minimum need. I'm NOT advocating that person not provide extra..but it should be at their discretion, and they should be albe to control what it is spent on, and how it is spent, as it is their money, and the child should know that that person provided it. That way they know that the other spouse is not using it on themselves, which is NOT what child support is for. The current income based model more often than not, far exceeds the basic necessities, and is wasted on an ex spouse using it for personal luxury.

Like I started out with..I've lived both sides of the issue, and have seen this happen with my own two eyes.
Frankly, I think that you are being way too generous here. Indeed, if a child's custodial parent has enough money to take care of this child by himself/herself, then this child's non-custodial parent certainly shouldn't owe this child any child support if he/she wants to give up all of his/her parental rights to this child.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
They can also choose not to get pregnant.
Actually, all non-drastic forms of birth control can fail.

However, other than in cases of rape, women can avoid having sex with men who don't share their views on abortion, adoption, and child support.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
As a stepmother who has a spouse who pays child support, I find this to be absolutely ludicrous. It's not a punishment, it goes towards caring for the child. People who resent child support and having to pay it are people who generally don't want to be responsible for their choices.
Two things:

1. If child support is genuinely for the child, then if a child's custodial parent refuses to seek child support from this child's non-custodial parent, then this child himself/herself should be able to go to court after he/she becomes an adult, demand that his/her non-custodial parent pay 18+ years of child support, and always win in court in regards to this issue.

2. Why exactly should children have a right to financial support from their parents if their parents want to give up all of their parental rights to these children of theirs? After all, causing children to exist isn't a harm and having consensual is neither negligent not illegal.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
I would support this freedom of choice for men. After all, welfare exists for a reason and single moms have unmitigated access to that. Men should have an opt-out period, too. No one should be forced to become a parent.

I am for equal rights.
Frankly, I at least mostly agree with you, but not for the same reason.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I agree.
Good.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Have you personally abstained from penis-in-vagina sex for your entire life, though?
You got hands don;'t you?

Use them,and you do not have to worry about a child,ever!

Or rent a robot

Old 03-21-2016, 04:22 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
OK, you're a guy with a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She decides she's going to abort the child. You say no. But you have no right to that child no matter how you want it. She has the abortion. Case closed.

Well, new scenario.

You're a guy and a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She wants to keep the child, you don't. She's going to have it no matter what you want and you are forced to an obligation of 18 years to support this child at the minimum - monetarily.

What if you could abort the child legally? She still gets to have the child, only you are now legally disconnected from the obligation. This would come at a price of no rights of visitation also.

So what's wrong with it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...al-group-says/
Yes, women have vastly superior rights in current American Law over men but what's missing from your scenario is what why the rights of the child are given zero credence...unless someone murders the child in the womb in which case they are given the rights of a human? We are messed up with our hypocritical laws in this area.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
No one should be forced to become a parent.

I am for equal rights.
WHAT??? "Forced??

What an odd take on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, women have vastly superior rights in current American Law over men but what's missing from your scenario is what why the rights of the child are given zero credence...unless someone murders the child in the womb in which case they are given the rights of a human? We are messed up with our hypocritical laws in this area.
Everyone should read this and let it sink in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies