Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times

Advertisements

As a black man, I think one of the worse ideas to ever come from Liberalism is affirmative action. Now the reality of affirmative action is that it has been used to benefit white women moreso than black people. But the narrative that blacks benefit from affirmative action is an important one. Because the reason why affirmative action is not meant to benefit blacks at all. It's meant to shape a black inferiority narrative. What affirmative action does is try to downplay the achievement of black people. So it would look like they're so much worse than their white counterpart, that they need the system to work in their favor. All this does is make black people look dumb. And that is really the entire purpose of liberalism.

Every single liberal social program concerning blacks has been done to reduce the overall credibility of black people. Every single liberal policy has been purposely put there to make black people look dumb. And every single Liberal social policy has been put forth to make white people look like the savior and put them in a position of superiority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times
Oh, get off of it.

This is a never ending, cyclical, race bating argument that pops up every 2-3 months.

Regardless of what you think about it, it's here. It likely isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:56 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
if you get something for free, why complain

Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Oh, get off of it.

This is a never ending, cyclical, race bating argument that pops up every 2-3 months.

Regardless of what you think about it, it's here. It likely isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
This is true.

I'm beginning to think you are one of the most self hating negros that the internet has ever seen lol!

Affirmative Action was put into place as an opportunity to minority groups. As you stated, white women have been the primary benefactors.

However, I always laugh when libertarians and conservative black people in general think that Affirmative Action has been hurtful to black Americans as a large amount of the conservative black elites (Clarence Thomas and Ben Carson come to mind) can 100% place the affirmative action program as the primary reason for their success being that they would not have been accepted to the colleges/universities of which they attended if it had not been for the program.

Back then, like now, Affirmative Action programs target the highest achieving minority individuals and provide them with opportunities for considering at schools and public employment. Without AA, the black professional middle class (not working the working class in regards to manufacturing) would not exist in the same way it does today.

Today, it is not as beneficial IMO to the black demographic, but when it was put into place it was highly beneficial especially to my grandmother's generation. She graduated high school in the mid 1950s. Blacks of that era were systematically denied admission to colleges/universities solely because they were black and they were denied employment opportunities because they were black.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
As a black man, I think one of the worse ideas to ever come from Liberalism is affirmative action. Now the reality of affirmative action is that it has been used to benefit white women moreso than black people. But the narrative that blacks benefit from affirmative action is an important one. Because the reason why affirmative action is not meant to benefit blacks at all. It's meant to shape a black inferiority narrative. What affirmative action does is try to downplay the achievement of black people. So it would look like they're so much worse than their white counterpart, that they need the system to work in their favor. All this does is make black people look dumb. And that is really the entire purpose of liberalism.

Every single liberal social program concerning blacks has been done to reduce the overall credibility of black people. Every single liberal policy has been purposely put there to make black people look dumb. And every single Liberal social policy has been put forth to make white people look like the savior and put them in a position of superiority.

Stop making sense... You'll get kicked off of the Democrat plantation.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:08 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
The OP has a point,but not for the reason he claims.

AA has helped more white women than anyone else,yet black people are the face of AA.

I am not quite sure why white women are considered a minority group,i guess we would have to ask Hillary Clinton.

So AA helps more white women,but Asians are not,even though they are a true minority....strange.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:

As a black man in his mid 30s, working in IT, without a degree, you should seek out opinions of your elders about what it used to be like.

Some quick history:

July 1941: America is gearing up for war. Millions previously unemployed are finding employment in the defense industry. Black people (mainly men) flock to the Big Cities, even in the North, for jobs, but are met with violence and discrimination. A black man, Mr. Randolph, President of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters (hey! there was a job you could have done back then!) as well as other leaders in the black community, meet with Eleanor Roosevelt and members of the President's Cabinet, demanding that President Roosevelt issue an Executive Order to stop discrimination in the defense industry. President Roosevelt complies with EO 8802:

"There shall be no discrimination in the employment of workers in defense industries and in Government, because of race, creed, color, or national origin."

In 1961, President Kennedy issued a new EO, ordering that federally funded projects "take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and employees are treated during employment, without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin." Thus, the phrase 'affirmative action' is born. President Johnson expanded on said EO by saying it applied to women.

Of course, that was followed by Congress enacting the Civil Rights Act, signed into law by President Johnson, and President Nixon added some time frames and 'goals' (which evolved into quotas).

Ah, the evil of liberals! Back then, black men had plenty of equal opportunities to be porters, butlers and such! Sorry that history worked out so poorly for you.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:29 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
Quote:

I do not think Liberals supported affirmative action back in the 1960s because they wanted to "downplay the achievements of black people". I think they were honesty trying to find solutions to centuries of discrimination, not just culturally but actually written into law.

People of my generation (Generation X) and younger, simply do not know what it is was like to live as a Black person before the Civil Rights movement. Even many Baby Boomers were too young to understand it. Nor do they understand the discrimination that Catholics, Jews, American Indians and Asians faced. Now we have Catholics and Jews running for President and actually have a Black American President. That is unimaginable 50 years ago.

I am not saying I agree with affirmative action these days (in most cases I don't) but I am just saying you have to understand the history of why it came about.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Middle class and lower white males are now the only ones were it is perfectly legal to discriminate against them. The upper classes have their own little operation going and have little need of da guberment intervention and can more or less side step da guberment action. While I would prefer equality and merit based placement, the second most desirable position to be in is where white males are now. Light discrimination legitimizes everything they do just like it was for blacks. In the 50s if a black was doing something you could be darn sure he was probably good at it. They were no long trapped in slavery, but were well conditioned in body and mind from resistance. Then the liberals destroyed them. Now I am not so sure. Who know why protected classes are there? Even minority owned business like the freedom to hire and fire the only unprotected class. I have heard many come out and say it.

I am quite satisfied with the current regime. I do have concern about it going to far. Light resistance and discrimination I find as welcoming as any hill to clime. However if failure is forced, then there is a true problem. That is to say a hill to clime, not broken legs. Of course many in the rural areas will be hit quite hard. However it is a far better fate than the "help" I have seen go to blacks and native Americans....

Find the resources. They are there. Discrimination is nothing compared to the obstacles people faced just a 100 years ago.

If you are a minority, seek as much resistance as you can. Privileges are ephemeral things unless you have truly royal connections.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:40 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Here's the core issue...

Many don't understand why NOT doing anything can be more beneficial. They assume that not intervening = not caring, or not helping. If someone in your family is having issues, people keep giving money to them, and the problem continues, some will say "well they just need MORE" and others will say "no, the problem is CAUSED by intervening, because it gives them just enough comfort to not go out and improve their own life."

It's about incentives and pressure. I didn't get a job right out of college and my mom wanted to keep letting me live at home, not make me pay rent, not make things harder on me, and my dad wanted to give me a deadline for when needed to start paying rent, get a professional job, or some other goal. They argued over this, but my dad was ultimately right, and I knew it all along. I was sapped of motivation when I could just be comfortable where I was. Having that risk of being on my own gave me the boost I needed to take more action. I now have a very good job and my own place. I'm much happier now, but at the time there was that temptation to get mad at my dad for not "helping" or "caring". That's actually exactly why he did it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-18-2016 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies