Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Most of the time they only have to worry about real blowback, not political blowback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Do something?

It's radical decentralized ideology, no single leader, political force or country.

70,000 Muslim clerics gathered in Asia to condem terrorism last year.

How 70,000 Muslim Clerics Are Standing Up To Terrorism

ISIS probably got a kick out of that and put them on a hit list.
70k outta 1.6 billion is weak sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Were you this passionate when a guy shot up an elementary school? Or when another guy shot up a church? Or any other instance of mass murders committed by non-Muslims?

Didn't think so. Your selective outrage is noted. I bet you haven't even thought of the victims since the tragedy took place.

Most of what I'm hearing and reading is a bunch of vein popping, foaming at the mouth, keyboard smashing nonsense that doesn't offer any realistic, practical, palatable solutions to this problem.
But then when people like me write posts that are coherent and provide clear examples on why we should be concerned, they get ignored. Which leads me to believe that Lefties don't want to hear why we shouldn't welcome Muslims with open arms since it doesn't fit their agenda. Some of these Righties are over the top with this "nuke them blah blah" sensationalized foolishness, but Lefties don't want truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'll be sure to let my rockstar muslim ex know this. He'll get a nice chuckle out of such an idiotic statement.
Of course they didn't care. They don't care about gun deaths, just bombs.
Nobody cared about San Bernardino?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. The idea that 1.6 billion people want America destroyed is preposterous, especially given close to three million of them live in the U.S.

How many of those 1.6 billion have engaged in terrorism? Talk about utter nonsense.
It would be closer to 15mil, which is still under 1%. Regardless, this (unbiased) article reveals some interesting facts from various studies:

Quote:
Our 2011 survey of Muslim Americans found that roughly half of U.S. Muslims (48%) say their own religious leaders have not done enough to speak out against Islamic extremists.
Interesting. Half of the US Muslims actually admit that their religious leaders aren't doing enough about ISIS.

Quote:
More generally, Muslims mostly say that suicide bombings and other forms of violence against civilians in the name of Islam are rarely or never justified, including 92% in Indonesia and 91% in Iraq. In the United States, a 2011 survey found that 86% of Muslims say that such tactics are rarely or never justified. An additional 7% say suicide bombings are sometimes justified and 1% say they are often justified in these circumstances.
Hmmm...so at least 8% of the Muslims in the US believe suicide bombings can be justified. That leaves another 6% that can be swayed. Out of the 86%, 5% said that it is "RARELY" justified, which still leaves room for the possibility that it can be considered ok in extreme circumstances (no pun intended on "extreme").

Out of approx 15mil Muslims in the US, 195k can consider jihad killings justified. That shouldn't make anyone cautious? It's all in here: Muslims and Islam: Key findings in the U.S. and around the world | Pew Research Center

Quote:
When it comes to political and social views, Muslims are far more likely to identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party (70%) than the Republican Party (11%) and to say they prefer a bigger government providing more services (68%) over a smaller government providing fewer services (21%). As of 2011, U.S. Muslims were somewhat split between those who said homosexuality should be accepted by society (39%) and those who said it should be discouraged (45%), although the group had grown considerably more accepting of homosexuality since a similar survey was conducted in 2007.
I'll just let this paragraph speak for itself. Watch out, gays.

Now according to this other study (which covered a plethora of polls), 13% of Syrian refugees have a favorable view of ISIS/ISIL/whatever. That should raise a red flag as well. You can see for yourself on page 19 here: http://english.dohainstitute.org/fil...8-7c8a077e522e

I'm not even gonna get into Sharia law, but that's definitely not democratic by any stretch.

Last edited by veezybell; 03-23-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 12:53 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
But then when people like me write posts that are coherent and and provide clear examples on why we should be concerned, they get ignored. Which leads me to believe that Lefties don't want to hear why we shouldn't welcome Muslims with open arms since it doesn't fit their agenda. Some of these Righties are over the top with this "nuke them blah blah" sensationalized foolishness, but Lefties don't want truth.
I engaged a couple of posters yesterday in another thread about actual potential solutions. I didn't totally agree with their proposed solutions, but at least they were sensible and possibly practical.

I'm not a liberal, but I'm not going to waste my time having a discussion with posters that refers to fellow Americans as brain-dead idiots with a mental disorder called 'liberalism', that wish terrorists would destroy America.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:00 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Were you this passionate when a guy shot up an elementary school? Or when another guy shot up a church? Or any other instance of mass murders committed by non-Muslims?

Didn't think so. Your selective outrage is noted. I bet you haven't even thought of the victims since the tragedy took place.

Most of what I'm hearing and reading is a bunch of vein popping, foaming at the mouth, keyboard smashing nonsense that doesn't offer any realistic, practical, palatable solutions to this problem.
This is an on going problem with only MUSLIMS!!;

Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times
Quote:
1. I engaged a couple of posters yesterday in another thread about actual potential solutions. I didn't totally agree with their proposed solutions, but at least they were sensible and possibly practical.

2. I'm not a liberal, but I'm not going to waste my time having a discussion with posters that refers to fellow Americans as brain-dead idiots with a mental disorder called 'liberalism', that wish terrorists would destroy America.
1. I think we should put a hold on Syrian refugees for the time being. I think we should withdraw from Iraq/Afghanistan because we have exhausted too many resources for too few results. I think we should refrain from getting involved in any new conflicts in that region. I think we should monitor Leftie-dominated cities more closely, because they are the ones most at-risk due to strict gun laws and "gun free zones". People have to understand the nature of these extremists. You would think that some would take their heads out of the sand after San Bernardino, but they insist on being PC and dismissing any jihad attacker as "mentally unstable" instead calling a spade...a spade. So let's just sit around and wait for the next attack, then clamor for stricter gun control, stricter bomb control, more gun-free zones, etc.

2. I'm down the middle, so I call it like I see it on both sides. It just seems like Lefties make less and less sense as time goes on. But I agree; any ad hominem and name-calling is not constructive at all and should be ignored. I don't think Lefties want extremists to destroy America, but they give out too many passes all around, not just for Muslims.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:25 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
This is an on going problem with only MUSLIMS!!;
Your selective outrage, again, is noted.

Quote:
1. I think we should put a hold on Syrian refugees for the time being. I think we should withdraw from Iraq/Afghanistan because we have exhausted too many resources for too few results. I think we should refrain from getting involved in any new conflicts in that region. I think we should monitor Leftie-dominated cities more closely, because they are the ones most at-risk due to strict gun laws and "gun free zones". People have to understand the nature of these extremists. You would think that some would take their heads out of the sand after San Bernardino, but they insist on being PC and dismissing any jihad attacker as "mentally unstable" instead calling a spade...a spade. So let's just sit around and wait for the next attack, then clamor for stricter gun control, stricter bomb control, more gun-free zones, etc.
I don't think too many people would object to the above. My biggest concern are the people who are natural citizens, assimilated and don't give off any red flags. But, not a lot we can do about those attacks, unfortunately. It's all about striking a balance, do everything we can to prevent these tragedies from happening, without unreasonably infringing on one's rights.

Quote:
2. I'm down the middle, so I call it like I see it on both sides. It just seems like Lefties make less and less sense as time goes on. But I agree; any ad hominem and name-calling is not constructive at all and should be ignored. I don't think Lefties want extremists to destroy America, but they give out too many passes all around, not just for Muslims.
Yeah, each side has some real...I can't think of anything nice to say, so I'll say characters.

I do think those on the left who can be too tolerant have good intentions, but sometimes those good intentions backfire, badly, and we've seen it before (San Bernardino). Whether it's those who are too tolerant on the left, or also those who are so angry and intolerant on the right, both of those extremes at work can contribute to the problem.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What if I am? That's irrelevant.

What you do to terrorists isn't my concern. But I will defend innocent Muslim American citizens against bullies looking to attack defenseless people.
What happened to the "not my problem " attitude? Now all of a sudden you care about something?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Yeah, just like you white people should be standing up & saying something about all the rapes & murders & domestic abuse done by white people. But you don't, do you?
What's this "white people" bit? "Muslim" ain't a race and; if talking about Islamists like Osama bin Laden and other Arabs, they're also "white'. Sheesh!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:

Agreed about the 2016 kind of "liberal". Def sad because MOST mild conservatives now would be far left "libs" by the rules of 1964.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I saw this quote on another forum and thought it would be interesting to get the perspective of others on it:

"There are good muslims and bad muslims. The bad ones want to kill us. The good ones want the bad ones to kill us."
So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I saw this quote yesterday:

"There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. If they all wanted to kill us, we'd all be dead already."
Nope.

We have the nukes, ICBMs, and nuclear armed submarines.

They don't.

Quote:
Yeah, just like you white people should be standing up & saying something about all the rapes & murders & domestic abuse done by white people. But you don't, do you?
White people commit a far lower percentage of violent crime than non-white people in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Maybe we need more "blowback" and less walking on eggshells and apologizing. Close down all radical mosques in Europe and raid that area where these muslim extremists were hiding.
Exactly. Kick them out of Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Stop with the "handful" of muslims that are terrorist. It's this kind of PC nonsense that keeps America from facing the truth. Islam hates America and wants us totally destroyed. Any ideas contradicting that are lies from PC bleeding heart liberals.
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Stating we "condemn" muslim terrorists sa merely empty words, just like Obama saying "we stand with the victims families" in Belgium. If words are not backed up by action, they are worthless.
Exactly. "Sorry" is two syllables. So is "condemn." Everyone knows they mean nothing in this case.

Quote:
So what are you going to do then? Other than pound on your keyboard in poutrage of course?
Keep Muslim foreigners out of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed about the 2016 kind of "liberal". Def sad because MOST mild conservatives now would be far left "libs" by the rules of 1964.
Yes!

The lying lib media say Republicans have moved to the right.

If anything, they've moved to the left, while the Democrats have moved into the loony bin -- supporting open borders, giving sanctuary to illegal aliens who commit felonies (like the murderer of Kate Steinle), letting un-vetted Muslims into this country even after an un-vetted Muslim immigrant (Tashfeen Malik) was let in here and shot people to death in San Bernardino....

We should strengthen our laws against treason and strip those who commit treason (which is what I just mentioned above) of their citizenship.

This country could use a house cleaning -- about 100 million deranged liberals need to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies