Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 06:37 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
OMG here we go again. Here I am clamoring for the OPPORTUNITY to purchase a tiny home and to thereby join those who have invested in the community and are responsible for making saure the property taxes are paid. The property rules are written by and for property owners who do not want competition from those they consider inferior.

And since you brought up funding the schools, you just hit another one of my Hot Buttons.

When I lived in Michigan my rented home was taxed at 4x the school property tax rate on owner-occupied primary residences.

IOW, renters in Michigan are paying way more than their fair share to fund schools while homeowners are simply not carrying their weight.

And, no I am not free to join that group because the property owners have by law prohibited owners from selling property in an increment I can afford.

As for once I invest, as a lifetime renter I have paid more for housing than the average homeowner who has owned the same house for decades - and they became wealthy while I got squat to show for my dollars.
You've invested nothing. You've paid an agreed upon price for a service. You haven't "invested" in a grocery store by virtue of the fact that you've paid for groceries for decades. Same with renting.

You've had ample opportunity to purchase a home. As much as I have had (more in fact, considering you actually have a degree and are a man), and I own a home. There are lots of tiny homes out there. The fact that you want your cake and to eat it too isn't the homeowner's problem.

One more time: please show me EXACTLY where the "rules are being written" to keep out folks they consider inferior. And kindly make your example more current than 100 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Says someone who does not live in reality that is clear. If there is no job for them to move up to or they are not smart enough to do much it does not matter you do not care you just want to be ignorant and blame them probably so you can pat yourself on the back and pretend you got where you did by yourself.
The reality is quite clear. There's always opportunities to move up... or move on to where better opportunities exist. Move across the country alone if need be. If they're not smart enough is another issue and one not resolvable through legislation which enables stealing from the capable. I guess they just have to blame their parents for raising an idiot. I don't need any back pats. And I did get here by myself. I was not born to a rich or influential family, did not have a patron or sponsor to guide me. I worked crappy jobs, worked nights while in school during the day, ate lots of ramen, took in roommates I despised so the mortgage would be paid. I also applied what I learned, made mistakes I learned from, and looked for opportunities. Or made opportunities where I could.

What's your excuse again? I know you have one and we're all anxious to hear it.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The reality is quite clear. There's always opportunities to move up... or move on to where better opportunities exist. Move across the country alone if need be.
How do you move across town, let alone across country if you earn $7.25 an hour?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How do you move across town, let alone across country if you earn $7.25 an hour?
I was making about that much when I moved 300 miles for a job paying about $10/hr. You rent a truck, have friends help you move, or pack your stuff in boxes small enough to carry alone. Rent an efficiency and sleep on the sofa or a mattress on the floor. Take public transportation. Eat lots of rice and ramen. Study at night or when you can. Make contacts. Keep your eyes and ears open. Leverage any new experience gained. Look for employers who offer educational assistance. I've driven $300 beaters and learned to do car repair myself when garages were too expensive.

Where there's a will...

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The unfortunate reality of those stuck in low paying jobs.

What life is like on $7.25 per hour - LA Times
These no skill jobs are never meant to become your career. But these low paying part-time jobs have soared under Obama.

LNS12600000 Employed, Usually Work Part Time

In 2006 we had 25 million people working part-time, and now we have 28 million people working part-time. But hey, even a crappy, dead end minimum wage, part-time job is a job, so it lowers the unemployment figures.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:49 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
I was making about that much when I moved 300 miles for a job paying about $10/hr. You rent a truck, have friends help you move, or pack your stuff in boxes small enough to carry alone. Rent an efficiency and sleep on the sofa or a mattress on the floor. Take public transportation. Eat lots of rice and ramen. Study at night or when you can. Make contacts. Keep your eyes and ears open. Leverage any new experience gained. Look for employers who offer educational assistance. I've driven $300 beaters and learned to do car repair myself when garages were too expensive.

Where there's a will...
Well that sounds like a lot of work. Can't I just stay where I am and cry about my victim hood?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:23 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Where there's a will...
No there is not always a way and personal anecdotes such as yours do not address the obstacles that many low wage earners face. Little things like not getting 40 hours a week, having to find child care, having little money left after paying your rent and living so close to being broke that you can't even save up for a deposit on a different rental or pay for a moving truck rental.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The unfortunate reality of those stuck in low paying jobs.

What life is like on $7.25 per hour - LA Times
So apply for other jobs, keep applying until you get something better. Seriously. Pushing a wheelchair through an airport does not deserve more than minimum wage. Taking a customer's order at McD's does not deserve more than minimum wage. Making sandwiches does not deserve more than minimum wage. What incredible skill or braun do any of these jobs require? Not much at all. Why do they "deserve" higher pay to push a wheelchair or make a sandwich?

Minimum wage IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A LIVING WAGE. What part of that do people NOT comprehend? It was NEVER supposed to be a "living wage". That was a starter wage, a job to take on when you are young, BEFORE you sprout a kid, BEFORE you had any skills...this gave you some experience with plain old working.

Yeah, life IS hard when you work a minimum wage job. Yeah, those jobs usually DO suck. They aren't supposed to be "careers", they are jobs that suck, but give you experience with what it's like to work, show up on time, be courteous to the customers, learn how to do a good job, and then you move on to something better.

"There's no jobs!!!" Well, then stop giving them to illegals! Stop giving them to all of the H1B visa holders! Stop demanding higher wages that cause companies to take their jobs OUT of the country! Stop being so damn lazy and expect a counter job at McDonalds, or a wheelchair pusher, or a Subway sandwich maker to be your career! Those are not careers.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Around here no min wage mandate is needed. Nothing less than $10/hr. Now, who said you should be able to own a house and send kids to college on min wage? $10 and hour was a godsend for my kids. They were making $300 week. They didn't see that much allowance in a year. They were ecstatic.

Allowance? What is that? I never received on penny of cash from my parents growing up. They provided what I needed and that was it. I did not have cash in my pocket until my first part-time job in 1980.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You save and ask your friends and families to help.

You do have families don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies