Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 06:22 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I got my number from your first link, though it is 78% are 20 or older, I did round up two percent.
Well, duh, raising the minimum wage disenfranchises the 16-19 age group.

A comprehensive review of two decades of economic research on the minimum wage by economists David Neumark (University of California—Irvine) and William Wascher (Federal Reserve Board) concludes that increases in the minimum wage reduce job opportunities for the least-skilled workers.

[Emphasis mine]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Kiosks free waitress time to clean tables. Hence casual dining dumped cleaning staff when kiosks arrived and have waitresses clean tables.
Not really because they still have to monitor tables they are working and bring things to them. Besides, if a restaurant wants to save money on cleaning staff, they can make it so their waiters bus their own tables too. No need for kiosks for that.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, duh, raising the minimum wage disenfranchises the 16-19 age group.

A comprehensive review of two decades of economic research on the minimum wage by economists David Neumark (University of California—Irvine) and William Wascher (Federal Reserve Board) concludes that increases in the minimum wage reduce job opportunities for the least-skilled workers.

[Emphasis mine]
Oh no, the lives with mom and dad because their still in high school crowd will be disenfranchised. Maybe while they can't get a job, they can focus on more important things like getting an education to get them into college so that they might be able to get a job that pays much more than minimum wage. Besides, teens shouldn't even be working the majority of the time because they should either be in school or studying or sleeping.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Not really because they still have to monitor tables they are working and bring things to them. Besides, if a restaurant wants to save money on cleaning staff, they can make it so their waiters bus their own tables too. No need for kiosks for that.
I knew restaurant mgrs who added them, and they axed cleaning staff. Cut labor costs and customers did NOT care.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:33 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,820 times
Quote:
I went off glassdoor numbers for the state of North Dakota for how much pay is being offered for positions Walmart.
Yeah, that's not even close to accurate. Last time I looked at the flyer the starting wage for a cashier was still over $12/hr.

So back to your original point... Clearly conservative states do adjust wages to reflect an decent paying wage in some instances.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:36 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Oh no, the lives with mom and dad because their still in high school crowd will be disenfranchised. Maybe while they can't get a job, they can focus on more important things like getting an education to get them into college so that they might be able to get a job that pays much more than minimum wage. Besides, teens shouldn't even be working the majority of the time because they should either be in school or studying or sleeping.
I was one of the teens who was helping his family by working a few jobs. Now your saying I shouldn't have worked so we could starve or the house be repossessed? AWESOME! Great thinking there!

Of course since I wasn't a complete idiot I had enough skill because I didn't ever get minimum wage. Always a dollar or three more. Nothing amazing but when you can market your skills and your skills are above "watch cat videos online" and "complain on the internet I need more money" you tend to do better in life.

PS: Also worked 30-40+ hours in college via 3 jobs at the same time. My old boss still raves about my job ethics. Paid for most of my loans while in school, everything else while I lived with my folks the first year.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I knew restaurant mgrs who added them, and they axed cleaning staff. Cut labor costs and customers did NOT care.
Most customers don't care or know what goes on at a restaurant. Though funny thing, this restaurant management you know or whatever could saved money and not wasted buying kiosks, and just cut the cleaning staff and made the wait staff do their own cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Yeah, that's not even close to accurate. Last time I looked at the flyer the starting wage for a cashier was still over $12/hr.

So back to your original point... Clearly conservative states do adjust wages to reflect an decent paying wage in some instances.
Okay, I don't live in North Dakota, but if you think glassfoor is wrong you are welcome to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I was one of the teens who was helping his family by working a few jobs. Now your saying I shouldn't have worked so we could starve or the house be repossessed? AWESOME! Great thinking there!

Of course since I wasn't a complete idiot I had enough skill because I didn't ever get minimum wage. Always a dollar or three more. Nothing amazing but when you can market your skills and your skills are above "watch cat videos online" and "complain on the internet I need more money" you tend to do better in life.

PS: Also worked 30-40+ hours in college via 3 jobs at the same time. My old boss still raves about my job ethics. Paid for most of my loans while in school, everything else while I lived with my folks the first year.
That is sad that you as a teen was or is working multiple jobs rather focusing on your education. That basically is dooming a teen to a life of low wage jobs. Also, if a family has to rely on their teenager to keep the house repossessed and starve, then there are some really big problems going on in your family....

Old 04-10-2016, 04:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Most customers don't care or know what goes on at a restaurant. Though funny thing, this restaurant management you know or whatever could saved money and not wasted buying kiosks, and just cut the cleaning staff and made the wait staff do their own cleaning.

Okay, I don't live in North Dakota, but if you think glassfoor is wrong you are welcome to prove it.

That is sad that you as a teen was or is working multiple jobs rather focusing on your education. That basically is dooming a teen to a life of low wage jobs. Also, if a family has to rely on their teenager to keep the house repossessed and starve, then there are some really big problems going on in your family....
I support a raise in the minimum wage but many customers do care what goes on at a restaurant. North Dakota did pay very high starting wages because of the oil boom and no it isn't sad that a person works while in college.

There could be some big problems going on in a family, dismissing them won't make them go away.

I say I support a raise in the minimum wage but what I would really prefer is for us to stop doing things that make the minimum wage fall so far behind. I've mentioned that a few times in this thread but no one wants to touch that because as I've said many times, people love when the government steps in and puts money in their pockets but when it's done for others it's all of a sudden a bad thing.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:37 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Paying $15/hr is small change, if a business can't afford to do that much, then they probably shouldn't be looking to hire more employees because they have a financial problem

But who died and made you the arbiter of this? The arrogance is astounding.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I have a couple friends, married, they both make near that (A LOT of people make a tiny bit over it). They just got told their rent was going up by another couple hundred a month.

They've gone through a series of room mates, who flaked and they kicked them out until they finally got 2 who were a couple, one is working I think, the other in college. combined they could make the rent. Now......not so much.

So they're going to move...again. Probably to somewhere with high crime. They want kids...but they recognize they can't afford them. If they have a serious accident, or financial problem they will borrow money from me or someone else, and recover....given time.

But their life is full of work, and fear. It sucks.
That is really the biggest problem with the entire situation -- rents today are out of control. Thank the lord I gave up the renting life a long time back, because today's rent rates are WAY higher than 15 years ago. It's madness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies