Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I dont own a company, but am familiar with bidding on contracts. And it costs a company allot of money to hire an employee to do work. 15/hr plus all the other costs associated with employing someone, whether union, different state, wage determination, or even male/female plays a part in overall costs.
It costs a lot to hire employees in general. Running a business is hard work and not all businesses succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
It costs a lot to hire employees in general. Running a business is hard work and not all businesses succeed.
Some fail and get trillions from the taxpayers.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:41 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Deflect and deny. The mold in your basement getting to you?. Answer my questions.
What a stupid response.....what if the company he works for is private? You know, not on the stock market? Why should he divulge that information? No deflection, I am also in private company, and now damn way would I release that information....

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 PM

251 posts, read 203,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Minimum wage is only not enough in a meger, struggling economy, with too few options, which is what we have now. MW is a training wage, entry level, for movies and gas when one is just starting out and gathering some experience and references.

When MW is $15, adults will be hired to fill jobs, not students. Sorry! So, the 'good news' is that when we realize this, there will be a 'training' wage or 'youth wage', to address the huge youth unemployment circumstance. And, hopefully the economy will be better by then too.

So, in the meantime, talk to your Econ student friends, and they'll give you a clue.
I was an econ student once, and I also studied labor law for my HR cert and management training.

I'm speaking from that education, and from experience, when I say that minimum wage is a wage. That means it has a relationship to cost of living and full participation in a rich and civil society. It also has a relationship to the value of work to the entity needing work, and therefore to enterprise profit and community tax base. It is one of the crucial connections linking commercial concerns to both politics and the humanities, in the big picture. (There's more, but nothing that can't be gotten from a decent college website.)

Students get financial aid.

Or allowances.

Those are considered income. They are not "wages" in the sense I read here. They aren't intended to enable self-support.

Last edited by gelofogo; 04-08-2016 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: correction of sentence for grammar

Old 04-09-2016, 06:06 AM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Oh I am sure in right wing states, the value of an employee is a lot less. As they say in right wing states, if you can take advantage of an employee, then you should.
"Oh I am sure"

No, you AREN'T sure of anything. Just more partisan B.S.

EVERY state has its OWN Cost of Living.

High taxed states and states with big unions have higher wages in order to pay all those taxes and over pay union workers.

" As they say in right wing states," because you live in a "left" wing state you haven't a clue.

What do you pay for a gallon of gasoline?

What are your property taxes?

How much is the average house sold for?

The point is ALL costs are HIGHER therefore wages are higher to compensate.

Low cost of living states have lower wages.

You wouldn't have clue what they say in "right" wing states.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:43 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Oh I am sure in right wing states, the value of an employee is a lot less. As they say in right wing states, if you can take advantage of an employee, then you should.
I live in a "right wing" state. When our economy was booming and the cost of living was high jobs paid more. There was no need for the government to require a higher living wage as the employers did it on their own to try and attract applicants. Flipping burgers paid $12-$15/hr and often times included bonuses if you stayed on for 3 months. WalMart was starting at $17/hr for daytime cashiers. The cost of living was high, but the market here did raise its wages to reflect that.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:33 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Oh I am sure"

No, you AREN'T sure of anything. Just more partisan B.S.

EVERY state has its OWN Cost of Living.

High taxed states and states with big unions have higher wages in order to pay all those taxes and over pay union workers.

" As they say in right wing states," because you live in a "left" wing state you haven't a clue.

What do you pay for a gallon of gasoline?

What are your property taxes?

How much is the average house sold for?

The point is ALL costs are HIGHER therefore wages are higher to compensate.

Low cost of living states have lower wages.

You wouldn't have clue what they say in "right" wing states.
Two dollars for gas, property taxes are actually pretty low in the county I live in. Housing costs are higher because people want to live here. But you keep feeding yourself the lie that you are paid so little because the cost of living is low, though I bet when you compare the low cost of living to the low salary, you will find that making less than $30K is still low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I live in a "right wing" state. When our economy was booming and the cost of living was high jobs paid more. There was no need for the government to require a higher living wage as the employers did it on their own to try and attract applicants. Flipping burgers paid $12-$15/hr and often times included bonuses if you stayed on for 3 months. WalMart was starting at $17/hr for daytime cashiers. The cost of living was high, but the market here did raise its wages to reflect that.
Which right wing state are you referring to? I wouldn't mind seeing some proof of people flipping burgers making $12-15/hr. Also, did those workers also take a massive pay cut back down to minimum wage? Seems a bit far fetched, but who knows, I don't even know where you are talking about.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Which right wing state are you referring to? I wouldn't mind seeing some proof of people flipping burgers making $12-15/hr. Also, did those workers also take a massive pay cut back down to minimum wage? Seems a bit far fetched, but who knows, I don't even know where you are talking about.
North Dakota during the last oil boom. It didn't last long.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'm in western ND. Now that oil has tanked it isn't nearly as bad, however the wages being paid when it was booming is something you can find from a quick google search. There are photos of the hiring sign that sat in front of the local WalMart for around 2 years. Even now almost nowhere is paying minimum wage even with the slow down.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
North Dakota during the last oil boom. It didn't last long.
It lasted over 6 years and the wages still are higher than minimum wage. Costs are still high though, they've come down but it's still not as low as it should be imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies