Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post

That is sad that you as a teen was or is working multiple jobs rather focusing on your education. That basically is dooming a teen to a life of low wage jobs. Also, if a family has to rely on their teenager to keep the house repossessed and starve, then there are some really big problems going on in your family....
Where do you get those figures? Most successful people I know today are people who worked while going to school and learned the value of a dollar and a hard day of work. Yes my family went through some major financially difficult times, we passed them and are now doing well enough.

As for me, I am by no means rich but I make a good amount more then average. And I'm up for 2 more raises this year which should put me over/near the 6-figure mark. Hardly "doomed to low wage jobs" as you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,178,472 times
I wonder how many folks here have actually worked for minimum wage?

I have, my first 2 jobs were for minimum wage, and at the time I was happy to take them. They were all I could get, being a totally untrained and unskilled teenager. I might have resented the guys at the second place I worked, they were making civil service wages doing the same job I was, well, actually they stood around and drank coffee and smoked and made us to the actual donkey work but I knew that I was going to improve myself and rise above this. I bought a car with my second job and used it in my next job as a pizza driver (restaraunt work, right?) to make more than minimum wage and have climbed the ladder since then, eventually working for corporate America/Japan for well over that minimum.

We now live in an area where the minimum wage is meaningless, nobody works for that, not even the seasonal immigrant landscapers, not even retail gnomage pays that little.

Contiuing to work for minimum wage as an adult is irresponsible to yourself. Every time I here about some guy who has worked for the same place for 20 years at minimum wage I see a victim of not the employer but himself.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Contiuing to work for minimum wage as an adult is irresponsible to yourself. Every time I here about some guy who has worked for the same place for 20 years at minimum wage I see a victim of not the employer but himself.
So minimum wage should still be .25 cents as when it first started?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:21 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,178,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There shouldn't be a minimum wage mandated by the gummint. Would you work for .25 an hour?

If wages are too low, you won't find employees. If wages are mandated too high, you won't offer jobs to the unskilled.

The local economy and job market will determine the wages. Or did everyone work for free bofore the notion of minimum wage came along?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It should be $0/hour.

The market can determine how each person should be paid.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
There shouldn't be a minimum wage mandated by the gummint. Would you work for .25 an hour?

If wages are too low, you won't find employees. If wages are mandated too high, you won't offer jobs to the unskilled.

The local economy and job market will determine the wages. Or did everyone work for free bofore the notion of minimum wage came along?
Those are two separate arguments. Whether there should be one and what it should be if there is one.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It should be $0/hour.

The market can determine how each person should be paid.
Why does the pro sports leagues institute programs to even out wages?

Old 04-10-2016, 10:34 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
In another post on this thread you basically stated that you understood that with a $15.00 minimum wage that employers will desire and hire people for minimum wage positions that have more qualifications and experience than the people who currently hold those positions...who would be displaced...and that you don't have a problem with that....not caring about the fate of the people who currently occupy those positions at a current minimum wage. .

In the post above.......you are worried about the current employees (those at the bottom) being shortchanged and are worried about people who are below them, those looking and desperate for employment.

Re the two paragraphs directly above, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Which is it?

Do you care about the people making the current minimum wage, or not?

Wouldn't those desperate for employment be better off with at least some employment rather than none?

Or is it all about pushing this aspect of a progressive agenda, and everything else be d*mn*d?
If the current employee is doing a good job at that position, it would make no sense to fire them and hire and train someone else just because the pay went up. That is a poor way to run a business.

No, people are not better off being taken advantage of when they are desperate.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Where do you get those figures? Most successful people I know today are people who worked while going to school and learned the value of a dollar and a hard day of work. Yes my family went through some major financially difficult times, we passed them and are now doing well enough.

As for me, I am by no means rich but I make a good amount more then average. And I'm up for 2 more raises this year which should put me over/near the 6-figure mark. Hardly "doomed to low wage jobs" as you say.
Well lucky for you then, holding down 3 to 4 jobs while in high school seems a bit excessive and sad because you clearly weren't focused on your schooling. Most successful people I know worked hard on their schooling to put them ahead in life.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:31 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Well lucky for you then, holding down 3 to 4 jobs while in high school seems a bit excessive and sad because you clearly weren't focused on your schooling. Most successful people I know worked hard on their schooling to put them ahead in life.
I don't think that had much to do with luck. It had a lot to do with being responsible for yourself and working hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies