Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 07:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
By the very nature of the thread we are speaking about those who do work. We are speaking about wages.....wages are for those who work. Did I really need to explain this?
Not sure what your point is here.

Quote:
I had no hand in the mess that caused the banks to collapse but I was expected to bail them out. This is what is being spoken about concerning a fair playing field. It's wrong to raise the minimum wage but it's understandable to give Wall Street trillions of dollars for their mistakes. How exactly does that work because it's something I can't explain.
Two wrongs don't make a right. With government corruption reaching all the way to the Oval Orifice, there's little we're able to control there. So in addition to the dollars taken from us at gunpoint, you'd want to use the power of that same government to forcibly give more to those who add nothing more to the employer? Wages are an agreement between employer and employee - government has no place at the discussion table.

Quote:
No, it seems only those at the top gets the cookies. Even if we bump the minimum wages it's only crumbs compared to what Wall Street got. I don't expect this to get addressed any more than it has been the other times I've explained it.
So why aren't you inspired to work your way up the ladder rather than continually b-itching about it? The opportunities are there to do so as illustrated in my other post here. Raising the MW doesn't help as the MWers are still at the bottom of the economic ladder. All it accomplishes is to drag everyone else down. Within a short time they'll be whining again. Lather-rinse-repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Opportunities are everywhere in this country. As I've said before, my wife came to the US (legally) at age 22 with an overnight bag and a few dollars in her pocket. By the time she was 30, she had an employer-paid Masters' degree and was making six figures - by demonstrating her willingness to work hard and showing the value she added to that employer's bottom line. She didn't come here for the handouts, but for the opportunities that exist everywhere, and now she's a recognized expert in her field.

I was born in the shadow of a mill where the economy collapsed in the 80's. While friends and classmates had dads and uncles get them jobs in that mill before it closed, I worked nights and went to school during the day, sometimes taking on additional part time jobs to make ends meet. I worked in hospital kitchens, did sales, was a DJ, was a bouncer - whatever it took. With a meaningful degree in hand, I moved cross-country to where the jobs were. It took me until I was 33 to reach that six figure mark, but I did.

What's the excuse for those born here and for whom English is a native language and who understand the culture? A sense of entitlement and endless whining.
How dare you to ask people to work hard and study hard?!

I came here as a student not speaking much English and only with a few hundred dollars in my pocket. Trying to juggle between study, work and getting green card and then citizenship in the middle of the greatest depression since 1933. You Americans have no idea how hard it is for someone without a green card/citizenship to find a job legally! You think you have a problem finding a job? Try that without your precious citizenship please.

I passed the six figure mark at about 35.

The crap people whine in this country!

Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Not sure what your point is here.
Yes you do.

Quote:
Two wrongs don't make a right. With government corruption reaching all the way to the Oval Orifice, there's little we're able to control there. So in addition to the dollars taken from us at gunpoint, you'd want to use the power of that same government to forcibly give more to those who add nothing more to the employer? Wages are an agreement between employer and employee - government has no place at the discussion table.
Two wrongs do not make a right but righting a wrong is the right thing to do. Either way is fine with me. Pull all help that Wall Street got or raise the minimum wage. We harmed a large segment of the population by what we did with Wall Street and fixing that is not a wrong.

The government has no place in deciding which failed businesses should survive and which shouldn't either. They should not play favorites should they?

Quote:
So why aren't you inspired to work your way up the ladder rather than continually b-itching about it? The opportunities are there to do so as illustrated in my other post here. Raising the MW doesn't help as the MWers are still at the bottom of the economic ladder. All it accomplishes is to drag everyone else down. Within a short time they'll be whining again. Lather-rinse-repeat.
Bit me. The wife and I make 6 figures......it's not about me. That is what is wrong with this country. Me, me, me, me.

Did you see Wall Street whine when Yellen said she was going to raise rates 4 times this year? They whined and she bent over for them.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As a health care worker I have concerns about this. The median wage of a Certified Nursing Assistant, you know, the one who does all the grunt work on a hospital unit, is ~$11/hr. For some reason, people seem more concerned about fast-food workers than about those who take care of us when we are at our weakest.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
As a health care worker I have concerns about this. The median wage of a Certified Nursing Assistant, you know, the one who does all the grunt work on a hospital unit, is ~$11/hr. For some reason, people seem more concerned about fast-food workers than about those who take care of us when we are at our weakest.
Do your nurses vote for the Democrats? If not, to hell with them.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,929 times
Quote:
Oh, I am very concerned why a CNA is paid below a living wage even though it is a skilled job. You should be wondering why a CNA is paid more, not why people should be paid less.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Oh, I am very concerned why a CNA is paid below a living wage even though it is a skilled job. You should be wondering why a CNA is paid more, not why people should be paid less.
I don't think I said anything of the kind. I'm just trying to raise a little awareness here.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:11 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,929 times
Quote:
I don't think I said anything of the kind. I'm just trying to raise a little awareness here.
CooL, I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make. Though I will say as someone who knows CNAS, they should definitely be making a lot more than $15/hr for all their hard work.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
CooL, I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make. Though I will say as someone who knows CNAS, they should definitely be making a lot more than $15/hr for all their hard work.
Well, yes. And if minimum wage is raised to $15/hr, they should make at least $20/hr. It's not a minimum wage job.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:23 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
Quote:
Well, yes. And if minimum wage is raised to $15/hr, they should make at least $20/hr. It's not a minimum wage job.
Agreed. I would imagine that many CNAs would quit and take easier jobs if the minimum wage was raised to $15, so hospitals and clinics who employ CNAs are going to have to offer more than the minimum to retain them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies