Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 12:43 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
........... I don't even know where you are talking about.

One of several examples you've evidenced in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:

Funny you mention kiosks at restaurants, I personally think they are stupid and undermind the wait staff from being able to provide better service, but I have been to restaurants that use them. Each time, I still had a waiter taking my order and bringing me my food. The kiosks do sort of allow the waiter to serve more tables, but even that I would question because I feel like it tends to neglect the paying customers.

Kiosks allowed the wise business people running your restaurant to eliminate other staff (cleanup staff). That staff was paid minimum wage-your server gets $2.17 from the restaurant (tipped staff have lower MW). So of the $9 an hour serving you, they cut $7, and you failed to notice.I love kiosks, tablet ordering, self service checkouts, use them all the time btw.

I applaud the restaurants for cutting cleaning staff avoiding need to hike prices more. Adding to viability of the restaurant.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:04 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
About 80% of minimum wage workers are 20+.
Please link your source.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:12 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Please link your source.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/cps/...rkers-2014.pdf

The above contradicts his statement.

Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think: 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20, One Third Are Over 40 | Economic Policy Institute

This is likely where he got the 80%.

It illustrates how statistics can be made to say whatever one wishes them to say.

Or in the immortal words of Mark Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics".

Mark Twain quotations - Statistics

Old 04-09-2016, 01:16 PM

A 16 year old bagger wanting date money is worth neither more nor less than his dad doing the same job, supporting 3 kids and a wife.

So the age of the MW workforce is not relevent. It is what it is worth to the buyer (a/k/a employer) that counts. Minimum skills = minimum wage

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 04-09-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
and minimum pay = Walmart, which is now taking a dump.

Minimum skilled workers shouldn't be paid great money, but keeping valued, low skilled, workers on the job should be the priority. In Walmarts case when thousands of their valued employees made what they thought was too much money, they were laid off, hence what you have now which is an embarrassing failure that has happened to companies like Sears in the past. Walmart became so greedy that there weren't enough employees to stock shelves in thousands of their stores, again a completely idiotic move when profits are in the hundreds of millions. Large companies like HD, and Lowe's use this business practice as well, not so much HD anymore since they learned their lesson back in the early mid 2000's.

I have zero problems with a cashier making $9-9.50 an hour to start, if that employee is drug free, shows up to work everyday, and makes everyone's job easier, then give them a decent raise of a $1 an hour after a year and so on topping them out at 13.50-14.00 an hour, while explaining to the employees that if they want more money, they have to take on more responsibility, and so on.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

I have zero problems with a cashier making $9-9.50 an hour to start, if that employee is drug free, shows up to work everyday, and makes everyone's job easier, then give them a decent raise of a $1 an hour after a year and so on topping them out at 13.50-14.00 an hour, while explaining to the employees that if they want more money, they have to take on more responsibility, and so on.

10% raise is outlandish for a cashier. Give me the self checkout option.

But WM promotes 90,000 annually. That will get her 10% and she would earn it.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:53 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
http://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/cps/...rkers-2014.pdf

The above contradicts his statement.

Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think: 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20, One Third Are Over 40 | Economic Policy Institute

This is likely where he got the 80%.

It illustrates how statistics can be made to say whatever one wishes them to say.

Or in the immortal words of Mark Twain, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics".

Mark Twain quotations - Statistics
Oh, yes, of course, the Economic Propaganda Institute. They're a union think-tank; very left oriented, so take what they say with a grain of salt.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
A 16 year old bagger wanting date money is worth neither more nor less than his dad doing the same job, supporting 3 kids and a wife.

So the age of the MW workforce is not relevent. It is what it is worth to the buyer (a/k/a employer) that counts. Minimum skills = minimum wage

All I ask is a free market which allows me to pay what housing is worth to the renter. Minimum wage = minimum housing.

(The reason so many people are agitating for a $15 minimum wage is that the existing minimum wage does not enable them to afford housing.)

Old 04-09-2016, 02:05 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
Teenagers aren't even worth the current minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies