Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 02:03 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Sure, you just prefer slave like conditions, like "free" housing for labor rather than actually paying them. Of course at that point they are now indebted to their new masters, so getting out of such agreement might be difficult.

So yea, you are basically in favor of slavery.
I see you completely butchered the word "slavery." It's not slavery if the person has free will, meaning freedom of choice and freedom to pursuit happiness.

Now his inability of doing so does NOT make him slave. If that's true, aren't all employees slaves in one way or another? Unless you live in a farm and feed yourself, you are a slave. Hell, even the top paid CEOs are slaves.

There's a fundamental difference between "I am forbidden to choose by force, laws or decrees," and "I can't to choose because of my own situation." The former is slavery and the latter is NOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Some people dont know it costs an employer more than just their pay. You say 15 an hour is nothing. Well, give up fifteen an hour from your job. 28,800 a year is a lot of money to just give someone for minimum skills and work ethic, for example. Thats why we have Kiosks at some restaurants.
Oh well, some people on this thread think it is no big deal for an employer to pay more. Its not. They have business models, and are trying to make money for themselves. So, if people dont like the pay, dont take the job.
Are you kidding me? $28,800 is not a lot to pay an employee over the course of a year....if it is, then that business is obviously failing.

Funny you mention kiosks at restaurants, I personally think they are stupid and undermind the wait staff from being able to provide better service, but I have been to restaurants that use them. Each time, I still had a waiter taking my order and bringing me my food. The kiosks do sort of allow the waiter to serve more tables, but even that I would question because I feel like it tends to neglect the paying customers.

I think it is no big deal for a business to pay the minimum at least. I also keep pointing out that $15/hr isn't some high wage job that some on here keep pretending it is. If $15/hr is considered a lot of money to you, then you need to learn a better skill.

Just because a business is trying to make money for themselves is no excuse to short change their employees and take advantage of those that are desperate for employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I see you completely butchered the word "slavery." It's not slavery if the person has free will, meaning freedom of choice and freedom to pursuit happiness.

Now his inability of doing so does NOT make him slave. If that's true, aren't all employees slaves in one way or another? Unless you live in a farm and feed yourself, you are a slave. Hell, even the top paid CEOs are slaves.

There's a fundamental difference between "I am forbidden to choose by force, laws or decrees," and "I can't to choose because of my own situation." The former is slavery and the latter is NOT!
Call it whatever you want, the meaning is still the same, and you have said before you would start a business if you could pay people a penny a day.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:18 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me? $28,800 is not a lot to pay an employee over the course of a year....if it is, then that business is obviously failing.

Funny you mention kiosks at restaurants, I personally think they are stupid and undermind the wait staff from being able to provide better service, but I have been to restaurants that use them. Each time, I still had a waiter taking my order and bringing me my food. The kiosks do sort of allow the waiter to serve more tables, but even that I would question because I feel like it tends to neglect the paying customers.

I think it is no big deal for a business to pay the minimum at least. I also keep pointing out that $15/hr isn't some high wage job that some on here keep pretending it is. If $15/hr is considered a lot of money to you, then you need to learn a better skill.

Just because a business is trying to make money for themselves is no excuse to short change their employees and take advantage of those that are desperate for employment.

Call it whatever you want, the meaning is still the same, and you have said before you would start a business if you could pay people a penny a day.
Nope, not kidding. If you have 2-20 employees, do the math.. Not all business make allot of money. Some are Mom n Pop stores, etc.
I can see this thread is heavily biased towards making the business owner look evil and incompetent.
I recommend all here to go ope your own business once you get out of the basement.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:25 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
That is true, most jobs are worth more than $15/hr.
Sorry, some drone that presses buttons, lets a machine make change (if anyone even pays cash anymore), hands someone a receipt and a bag of food, is NOT worth $15/hr.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:

So what SHOULD a business be doing? Because providing for the general population is NOT the purpose of a business.

At the start I was sure you'd never owned a business. Now I'm just as sure you've never worked for one, either.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Nope, not kidding. If you have 2-20 employees, do the math.. Not all business make allot of money. Some are Mom n Pop stores, etc.
I can see this thread is heavily biased towards making the business owner look evil and incompetent.
I recommend all here to go ope your own business once you get out of the basement.
Last time I checked, Ma and Pa are still business owners, just because they are a sweet old couple working a little business doesn't give them a right to take advantage of their employees. This isn't about making them look evil and incompetent, this is about making sure employees receive at least the minimum in pay. Paying someone $15/hr isn't a high dollar job, and if Ma and Pa can't afford to pay someone $15/hr for their labor, then how are they going to be able to pay them $5/hr for their labor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Sorry, some drone that presses buttons, lets a machine make change (if anyone even pays cash anymore), hands someone a receipt and a bag of food, is NOT worth $15/hr.
That is your opinion, that "drone" or person, is providing their time at a value, $15 for an hour's worth of work is a small amount to pay someone. I do not understand why you guys keep acting like it is a lot of money to pay someone for labor. Who on this site is happy to be making less than $30K and year and considers themselves to be making a lot of money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So what SHOULD a business be doing? Because providing for the general population is NOT the purpose of a business.

At the start I was sure you'd never owned a business. Now I'm just as sure you've never worked for one, either.
I never said it was the business's responsibility to provide for the general population, it is their responsibility to pay at least a minimum living wage so that those who work for them can afford basic things for their hours of labor. It is also not the taxpayer's responsibility to subsidies employment for those businesses that cannot afford to meet the minimum requirements.

You are free to make all the assumptions you like, I will gladly continue to point out that you are completely wrong, but we don't know each other, so I really don't care.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:54 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Quote:
Last time I checked, Ma and Pa are still business owners, just because they are a sweet old couple working a little business doesn't give them a right to take advantage of their employees. This isn't about making them look evil and incompetent, this is about making sure employees receive at least the minimum in pay. Paying someone $15/hr isn't a high dollar job, and if Ma and Pa can't afford to pay someone $15/hr for their labor, then how are they going to be able to pay them $5/hr for their labor?

That is your opinion, that "drone" or person, is providing their time at a value, $15 for an hour's worth of work is a small amount to pay someone. I do not understand why you guys keep acting like it is a lot of money to pay someone for labor. Who on this site is happy to be making less than $30K and year and considers themselves to be making a lot of money?

I never said it was the business's responsibility to provide for the general population, it is their responsibility to pay at least a minimum living wage so that those who work for them can afford basic things for their hours of labor. It is also not the taxpayer's responsibility to subsidies employment for those businesses that cannot afford to meet the minimum requirements.

You are free to make all the assumptions you like, I will gladly continue to point out that you are completely wrong, but we don't know each other, so I really don't care.
Math is not your strong point. 10 more dollars an hour is a huge difference in pay. You state, if they cant afford a 15/hr how are they going to afford 5/hr. Well, 5/hr would be 3 employees vice 1 for 15/hr. ,
We are not going to agree. You have a nice day and I hope when you open your own business you will pay everyone way over their worth.. Business cost allot to run, and they arent charities, which most liberals think they should be..

Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hell we do not need any minimum wages. Let the poor work for nothing or just room and board. I'll bet there are plenty of starving desperate poor theat would sign themselves into slavery just to get fed. Wouldn't that be fair to the employers? Think how much more money WalMart would make if it did not have to pay its workers.

IMHO if a business owner cannot afford to pay a decent wage he should do the work himself.
And what is YOUR business owner experience?

Old 04-08-2016, 03:00 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
That is true, most jobs are worth more than $15/hr.

"That is true, most jobs are worth more than $15/hr."

Maybe in Portland Or. but, that does NOT mean the same job in say, Al, or NC, or other states is worth $15 an hour.

Cost of living is different in EVERY part of the country.

One size does NOT fit all.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:01 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Hell we do not need any minimum wages. Let the poor work for nothing or just room and board. I'll bet there are plenty of starving desperate poor theat would sign themselves into slavery just to get fed. Wouldn't that be fair to the employers? Think how much more money WalMart would make if it did not have to pay its workers.

IMHO if a business owner cannot afford to pay a decent wage he should do the work himself.
Tell us, what's a descent wage? $30 - $40 - $50 - $10?

That's the problem, you cannot....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies