Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Whether a person deserves a decent pay is dependent on whether or not he or she can produce decent value and the presence of or lack of competition.

The whole idea of someone must be paid at certain amount is nothing but fascist and communist.
Which goes to back up my point elsewhere that we are not a Capitalist society. Wall Street demanded a certain level of support from the government and they got it. Fascist and Communist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 AM

211 posts, read 114,044 times
Quote:
If so, anybody, who can't produce more than $15/hour worth of value, are now unemployed, meaning virtually all minimum wage workers.
No, all those business owners will happily take the hit and subsidize employees at $15/hr who only bring in $10/hr worth of value.

These proposals are punishing hard-working business owners, risk-takers and those with the ambition to start their own companies to reward people who have no/low skills, no ambition and no education. Its punishing success and rewarding apathy. And its a huge middle finger to people who have put in the extra effort to get raises and promotions only to find that years of hard work to get ahead are wiped out the the stroke of some bureaucrat's pen as they find themselves suddenly reset back to earning minimum wage.

If we want to lift people out of poverty, periodically raising the minimum wage is an awful way to do it. Its always going to be poverty, as inflation will wipe out these higher wages. These efforts should be aimed at expanding access to job-training programs, vocational schools and college, which aside from entrepreneurship is the only way people are going to escape the pull of the minimum wage job.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Why do some insist that the value of an hour of labor is worth less than it was 40 or 50 years ago? Seems very dismissive of the working class to me.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Why do some insist that the value of an hour of labor is worth less than it was 40 or 50 years ago? Seems very dismissive of the working class to me.
Because that's the fact of the life. No matter how much some say the sun comes up from the west; it is not.

Some people do not possess any marketable skills that would be worth $15 or a "living wage" - they can't feed themselves through their own work.

It is not dismissive of the working class - I myself is part of the working class. It is just the same that my work is certainly not worth the pay of a large corporate CEO, nor do I feel I am entitled to that.

Furthermore, you yourself would not pay for anything that is of no value to you, nor would you overpay for something just because. If you can't do that yourself, why would you advocate others to do it?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:49 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
$15.00 an hour in one state, is a lot different in another state. Just compare the cost of living between LA and the other LA (lower Alabama).

And for those who are not just entering the workforce and are supporting families, guess what, they are the same ones who supported Obama. And even thought the employment numbers look good, those are low paying jobs being created.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The unfortunate reality of those stuck in low paying jobs.

What life is like on $7.25 per hour - LA Times
Depends if you live in CA or in Florida!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:52 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The article is about a woman in East Point, Georgia -- a part of Atlanta I know well. That is just about the absolute best place to make $7.25 an hour in the US. The cost of living is extremely low. A three bedroom house sold for around $50,000 in 2010. I'm not sure what the current costs are, but they can't be much higher. The rents are ridiculously low there too. Plus, it has a metro stop so unlike 95 percent of America, you could almost get away without owning a car in that area. Plus, it's close to jobs .. it's not out in some rural area like most places with such a low cost of living. If you can't survive on $7.25 in that neighborhood, you can't survive anywhere.

Time it face facts -- 7.25 is a slave wage. It's time to double it -- and as another poster points out, no $15 is not a lot of money. That's just the bare minimum that one human should pay another human for an hour of his or her time.
It costs more than 15 n hour to hire someone.
Businesses arent charitys.
No skills, go learn some. Some had at least 12 years of school to find something..

Old 04-08-2016, 10:00 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
If so, anybody, who can't produce more than $15/hour worth of value, are now unemployed, meaning virtually all minimum wage workers.
To you maybe, but you seem to think 3 five dollars bills for an hour's worth of work is somehow a lot of money....last time I checked, businesses still need employees to run, if $15 is too much for them, then a more successful business will run in their place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
It costs more than 15 n hour to hire someone.
Businesses arent charitys.
No skills, go learn some. Some had at least 12 years of school to find something..
If your skill is only worth $15/hr, then you might want to learn a new skill.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:31 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The unfortunate reality of those stuck in low paying jobs.

What life is like on $7.25 per hour - LA Times
Suburban guy, when I was in HS I knew that I didn't want to make min wage the rest of my life, I knew that if I wanted a better life either I would have to work my way up some ladder or go to college. Since I didn't see what some ladder was without education I chose to go to college. No I could not afford to go to some fancy school so I went to a community college while working at the same time. While I was thinking about this sort of thing in "high school" and studying hard there were others that couldn't have cared less about school and I doubt they thought about their futures. These are the types that are most likely making min wage.

My question to you is,... did these people actually think that they were going to live the good life without effort on their part? Did they think life was just going to be a party all their lives? I think they are sowing the effort they put into it. I can't say I feel sympathy for anyone who didn't think and prepare for their future and then once realized the results of their non actions then complains

Old 04-08-2016, 10:32 AM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
To you maybe, but you seem to think 3 five dollars bills for an hour's worth of work is somehow a lot of money....last time I checked, businesses still need employees to run, if $15 is too much for them, then a more successful business will run in their place.

If your skill is only worth $15/hr, then you might want to learn a new skill.
If you are referring to my skills and 15/hr, my skills bring in much more.
I do have co workers that make 15-17/hr making fuber optic cables n connectors. They make , install and test, and hold minimum secret clearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies