Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There's going to be a whole lot of moving on up!

Articles: Obama Administration Sticking it to Whitey

HUD mandates
Stupid. Just stupid.

The rougher areas need to be cleaned up 1st, then maybe the decent people can start fixing up their own hoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 05:14 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Stupid. Just stupid.

The rougher areas need to be cleaned up 1st, then maybe the decent people can start fixing up their own hoods.
Step #1: Just as when other feral animals become a nuisance, implement a spay and neuter program. Mandatory sterilization for those receiving taxpayer-funded sustenance and for those convicted of criminal activities. The problems will be all but gone in a generation or two.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,655,360 times
So to attempt to fix the inner city problems, let's just spread them into the wealthier neighborhoods.

We should be trying to bring the bottom up, not bringing those on top down. This country is so backwards.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:53 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times
I honestly don't see the problem if they do it in an actually wealthy neighborhood instead of a middle class neighborhood were the neighborhood can actually turn into a ghetto. If they do it in a wealthy neighborhood Detroit can't happen because the neighborhood is just to expensive, and high class to depreciate into a ghetto, You can't make a 6 bedroom, $500,000 or more neighborhood affordable for guys in the hood, but you can certainly make a neighborhood that averages around $200,000-250,000 per house go ghetto as overtime the house will depreciate and lower the price into affordability. Story of the Alief neighborhood, it isn't the hood but most of it is lower middle class and a few parts are downright scary. The article tried to basically say that only white people live in wealthy Baltimore neighborhoods. I myself live in a "wealthy" neighborhood and their is definitely not only white people here, my neighborhood is probably 20-40% minorities easy, mostly Asians (Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Filipino etc.) and Hispanics, though as the few blacks are African like me. We also have a lot of European gals and lads who work for oil companies but maybe in Baltimore most of the wealthy people are white.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:07 PM

500 posts, read 319,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Step #1: Just as when other feral animals become a nuisance, implement a spay and neuter program. Mandatory sterilization for those receiving taxpayer-funded sustenance and for those convicted of criminal activities. The problems will be all but gone in a generation or two.
...but, but, but you'd ruin the #1 ghetto industry; birthing illegitimate children.

Those kids bring in big bucks.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
This is what I see going on. There are those not involved in crime trying to get out of those rough areas. Many can't afford to do so. The ones that find the resources to leave will leave, and never come back. One reason cleaning up those areas is such a hard task is that the persons most likely to do the cleaning up are the ones who want so badly to leave. The ones who can't afford it, but want somewhere safer to leave, they would benefit from affordable housing in safer areas. I wonder what the value of screening for criminal records would be.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:26 PM

690 posts, read 1,008,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
So to attempt to fix the inner city problems, let's just spread them into the wealthier neighborhoods.

We should be trying to bring the bottom up, not bringing those on top down. This country is so backwards.
Well this is not nothing new. It happened in DC spreading low income people into the surrounding counties as the inner city becomes gentrified.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
This is not nothing new. It happened in DC spreading low income people into the surrounding counties so the inner city gets gentrified.
It's happening in Atlanta too. After the housing projects were torn down, many of those particular residents went into nearby counties, like Clayton and DeKalb. With gentrification taking place in Atlanta, alot of low income residents are also going into Cobb County, as well as Douglas County. And now even some of the inner ring towns, like Marietta and Smyna, are gentrifying. Low income residents from those areas are being spread into other counties. Low income residents spreading around the suburban areas is nothing new.

I look at it like this. If there are old apartment complexes in your town, low income residents will be there. The only guaranteed way to prevent low income residents from moving into an area is to set up gated towns where you have to register your income and prove you're high income, and for those towns to make renting illegal.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:41 PM

23,568 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There's going to be a whole lot of moving on up!

Articles: Obama Administration Sticking it to Whitey

HUD mandates
Westchester was first, HUD used it as their beta test site in NY.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:47 PM

This is how I assess this situation. Anyone can be low income. Anyone who is low income can get Section 8. I'm going to call it as I see it. This is about poor Black residents going to wealthier White areas. I don't think this would be seen as an issue if it was poor Whites going into wealthier White areas. Or at the very least, it would be looked at as strictly a low income issue and not a race issue. I notice from the same naysayers of this program, very little said about gentrification. When low income residents can no longer afford to rent where they once did, silence from said individuals.

When it comes to things like Section 8, I don't think about race, until I see articles bringing up terms like "wealthy Whites" and "diversify". Maybe it's because diversity has not been something I've been afraid of. I know I could get killed easily in a homogeneous area. I work near neighborhoods that aren't diverse and I wouldn't live in them. Being homogeneous does not mean safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies