Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with this.

I also don't get the racial tone of the persons in the thread. IMO it shows a lack of knowledge about a lot of things and an overwhelming prejudice.

There is NO WAY that only black people will use Section 8. FWIW, black people are not even the majority of persons on Section 8. They are in certain urban areas with a large black population, but overall, black people are not the majority.

Race is not a factor in public housing or in HCV/Section 8 at all. Only income.

Also FWIW, many HCV/Section 8 residents are elderly and/or disabled.
To quote the article:

Quote:
In a nutshell, thanks to Washington’s money and political pressure, thousands of poor blacks will now be re-located from Baltimore’s slums to upgraded housing in the surrounding, nearly all-white suburbs.

Baltimore County will spend $30 million over the next decade to help private developers build 1000 homes for low-income African American families in affluent suburbs. In addition, the country will create 2000 units of subsidized Section 8 housing where residents will have access to better schools and less crime (housing must be built or rented in racially integrated clusters to avoid creating new ghettoes).
They're not moving rich blacks into these neighborhoods. They're apparently moving in only poor ones.

The problem is that this sort of thing has been tried and tried and tried. Forcible integration doesn't work. Upper class and upper-middle class folks, regardless of race or color, live where they live because they believe they in a low-crime bubble. People who make a lot of money don't tend to turn to lives a crime at nearly the same rate that low-income folks do. If the government forcibly built all-white trailer parks in affluent neighborhoods, I think the results would be the same: The rich folks would cut their losses and get the hell outa Dodge. They'll lose a pile of money for their troubles. Some won't be able to afford to leave anytime soon. They'll be pissed off in general. But most can afford to leave and will do so.

Do a little research on Gary, Indiana sometime. It used to be a nice town. Then the government forced integration. The rich folks left. The poor -- predominantly black poor -- poured into Gary. There were nice houses left abandoned all over town. Just kick the door in and the house could be yours for free.

How did the Gary, Indiana experiment work out in the long run? Here's the murder capitals of the USA:

10 Wilmington, DE
9 Trenton, NJ
8 Riviera Beach, FL
7 New Orleans, LA
6 Camden, NJ
5 Detroit, MI
4 Gary, IN
3 St. Louis, MO
2 Chester, PA
1 East St. Louis, IL

Gary is a Chicago suburb -- one that Chicago would love to disown honestly. Barack Obama supposedly came from here. He really should know better. It's not about racism. It's about bad results when you try and force people to live together when they don't want to.

PS: I suspect that the article is biased. If you can find a more neutral source, I'd be interested to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 AM

234 posts, read 202,397 times
I love how the cons here at CD have no idea what affordable housing even is, but are more than happy to make it a racial issue. Hilarious.

I bet if they looked up the amount of low income affordable housing that goes to white trash hicks living on RD (Rural Development) subsidies it would just blow their minds.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
PRINCETON, NJ -- Every state has at least some residents who are looking for greener pastures, but nowhere is the desire to move more prevalent than in Illinois and Connecticut. In both of these states, about half of residents say that if given the chance to move to a different state, they would like to do so. Maryland is a close third, at 47%. By contrast, in Montana, Hawaii, and Maine, just 23% say they would like to relocate. Nearly as few -- 24% -- feel this way in Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

Old 04-11-2016, 11:00 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
This is being made all about race. Well, there is one thing I will mention. Consider Prince George's County, Maryland. Alot of middle-upper class Blacks there. Go inside the Beltline and there are many trashy residents who came in from the worst parts of DC. That area got alot of the Section 8 types. Few people care if this happens to middle upper class Black areas. However, if it happens to White wealthy areas, then there are people screaming.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
I love how the cons here at CD have no idea what affordable housing even is, but are more than happy to make it a racial issue. Hilarious.

I bet if they looked up the amount of low income affordable housing that goes to white trash hicks living on RD (Rural Development) subsidies it would just blow their minds.
And like I said, if they were setting up white-only low-income housing in affluent neighborhoods, the results would be exactly the same. The predominantly white wealthy population of those communities will leave in droves. Only the newcomers will remain living there. It'll turn into a total craphole within a decade.

Truth is that building a section 8 housing trailer park in Beverly Hills, CA it would outrage residents and quickly result in the richest residents leaving town. Most people living in mansions don't want a trailer park moving in next door. Same concept in Baltimore.

Forcible integration just doesn't work folks.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
And like I said, if they were setting up white-only low-income housing in affluent neighborhoods, the results would be exactly the same. The predominantly white wealthy population of those communities will leave in droves. Only the newcomers will remain living there. It'll turn into a total craphole within a decade.

Truth is that building a section 8 housing trailer park in Beverly Hills, CA it would outrage residents and quickly result in the richest residents leaving town. Most people living in mansions don't want a trailer park moving in next door. Same concept in Baltimore.

Forcible integration just doesn't work folks.
K. I'll make sure to let everyone know in Beverly Hills they should just pack up and leave.

http://affordablehousingonline.com/h...Beverly-Hills/

Last edited by NOIGUY; 04-11-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
K. I'll make sure to let everyone know in Beverly Hills they should just pack up and leave.

In addition, Housing Authority of the County of Los Angeles provides 23,000 Section 8 rental vouchers in Beverly Hills.

Affordable Housing and Housing Authorities in Beverly Hills, California

Right and it's all right next door to $50 million mansions, right?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Right and it's all right next door to $50 million mansions, right?
And is that what the proposal is in Baltimore?

Please show me where the plan is to put up shanty towns next to 5,000+ square foot mansions.

There's no way in hell you're going to find anything close to that because that's not what is going on.

I have never seen RD, HAP, Section-8 or any other subsidies go for single family projects. Ever. If a neighborhood is zoned R-1 with minimum lot sizes, FAR, setbacks etc. how is a multi family project going to go up? IT CAN'T.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Don't worry, your sweet baby is safe from the evil black guy coming to "block bust" your neighborhood.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
And is that what the proposal is in Baltimore?

Please show me where the plan is to put up shanty towns next to 5,000+ square foot mansions.

There's no way in hell you're going to because that's not what is going on.
As I already stated in my first post on this thread, if you have a better source then please share it. The OP linked articles that are probably pretty biased and I don't like getting the facts from sources like that.

If a neighborhood of mere $500,000 houses has a shanty town move in next door, it's the same thing. It leads to bad outcomes. The current residents will see their property values plummet, they'll worry about crime increasing and they'll leave as fast as possible. Personally, I've got no problem whatsoever with the idea of having a black family move in next door to me. If they can afford to live in the neighborhood then good for them. If they're on the same level income-wise, they're probably good citizens and all that. But Section 8 housing wrecks neighborhoods. Government officials have been trying to force-integrate section 8 projects into affluent neighborhoods for decades and I can't think of a single case where it turned out well for all involved.

But hey, if you got better details on this thing please do share.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
To quote the article:

They're not moving rich blacks into these neighborhoods. They're apparently moving in only poor ones.

The problem is that this sort of thing has been tried and tried and tried. Forcible integration doesn't work. Upper class and upper-middle class folks, regardless of race or color, live where they live because they believe they in a low-crime bubble. People who make a lot of money don't tend to turn to lives a crime at nearly the same rate that low-income folks do. If the government forcibly built all-white trailer parks in affluent neighborhoods, I think the results would be the same: The rich folks would cut their losses and get the hell outa Dodge. They'll lose a pile of money for their troubles. Some won't be able to afford to leave anytime soon. They'll be pissed off in general. But most can afford to leave and will do so.

Do a little research on Gary, Indiana sometime. It used to be a nice town. Then the government forced integration. The rich folks left. The poor -- predominantly black poor -- poured into Gary. There were nice houses left abandoned all over town. Just kick the door in and the house could be yours for free.

How did the Gary, Indiana experiment work out in the long run? Here's the murder capitals of the USA:

10 Wilmington, DE
9 Trenton, NJ
8 Riviera Beach, FL
7 New Orleans, LA
6 Camden, NJ
5 Detroit, MI
4 Gary, IN
3 St. Louis, MO
2 Chester, PA
1 East St. Louis, IL

Gary is a Chicago suburb -- one that Chicago would love to disown honestly. Barack Obama supposedly came from here. He really should know better. It's not about racism. It's about bad results when you try and force people to live together when they don't want to.

PS: I suspect that the article is biased. If you can find a more neutral source, I'd be interested to see it.
Gary went to crap when its industries left and its factories closed, and everyone who could afford to leave left. Which was the story not only of Gary, but almost all the cities on that list. New Orleans experienced something similar with containerization and the decline of the port.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies