Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:50 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We've already been there and done that countless times and it always plays out the same way.
  1. The government relocates projects into mid-to-upper class neighborhoods or otherwise pushes a massive influx of minorities in.
  2. The wealthy people there leave in droves.
  3. Now you have abandoned nice houses everywhere -- kick in the door and you got yourself a house.
  4. The nice houses get wrecked.
  5. The nice part of town gradually becomes a total craphole slum.

That's pretty much what happened to Gary, Indiana and a bunch of other towns in America. The results are quite predictable. When rich people feel their exclusive neighborhood is being invaded by people they perceive as poor, dirty, criminal and above all else property value wreckers -- they just leave and let the newcomers wreck the place.

Harlem in New York used to be a white neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Who cares about global warming. Move the poor farther away from everything so they have to be moved around on subsidized, fossil fuel burning transportation.

To the liberal mind that makes sense.

How about to the fields and orchards where the work is?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:54 AM

234 posts, read 202,118 times
Quote:
As I already stated in my first post on this thread, if you have a better source then please share it. The OP linked articles that are probably pretty biased and I don't like getting the facts from sources like that.

If a neighborhood of mere $500,000 houses has a shanty town move in next door, it's the same thing. It leads to bad outcomes. The current residents will see their property values plummet, they'll worry about crime increasing and they'll leave as fast as possible. Personally, I've got no problem whatsoever with the idea of having a black family move in next door to me. If they can afford to live in the neighborhood then good for them. If they're on the same level income-wise, they're probably good citizens and all that. But Section 8 housing wrecks neighborhoods. Government officials have been trying to force-integrate section 8 projects into affluent neighborhoods for decades and I can't think of a single case where it turned out well for all involved.

But hey, if you got better details on this thing please do share.
Feds, Baltimore County strike deal to end discriminatory housing policies - Baltimore Sun

This looks like a better article than that other hit piece, but it is still quite vague. As the idea is that Baltimore is going to assist in providing private developers financing to build in specific areas. This will probably be with attractive mezz financing that is lower in priority than their perm loan.

So are you asking me to link you affordable housing complexes that haven't destroyed neighborhoods?

I'll just link you to Related's website.

http://www.related.com/our-company/b...rdable-Housing

As you can see for yourself, if you think these buildings are going to cause the neighbors to pack up their bags pronto, you're delusional.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:10 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
To quote the article:

They're not moving rich blacks into these neighborhoods. They're apparently moving in only poor ones.

The problem is that this sort of thing has been tried and tried and tried. Forcible integration doesn't work. Upper class and upper-middle class folks, regardless of race or color, live where they live because they believe they in a low-crime bubble. People who make a lot of money don't tend to turn to lives a crime at nearly the same rate that low-income folks do. If the government forcibly built all-white trailer parks in affluent neighborhoods, I think the results would be the same: The rich folks would cut their losses and get the hell outa Dodge. They'll lose a pile of money for their troubles. Some won't be able to afford to leave anytime soon. They'll be pissed off in general. But most can afford to leave and will do so.

Do a little research on Gary, Indiana sometime. It used to be a nice town. Then the government forced integration. The rich folks left. The poor -- predominantly black poor -- poured into Gary. There were nice houses left abandoned all over town. Just kick the door in and the house could be yours for free.

How did the Gary, Indiana experiment work out in the long run? Here's the murder capitals of the USA:

10 Wilmington, DE
9 Trenton, NJ
8 Riviera Beach, FL
7 New Orleans, LA
6 Camden, NJ
5 Detroit, MI
4 Gary, IN
3 St. Louis, MO
2 Chester, PA
1 East St. Louis, IL

Gary is a Chicago suburb -- one that Chicago would love to disown honestly. Barack Obama supposedly came from here. He really should know better. It's not about racism. It's about bad results when you try and force people to live together when they don't want to.

PS: I suspect that the article is biased. If you can find a more neutral source, I'd be interested to see it.
The article is not a real news source. At the top it speaks about being a "conservative" voice. Any "news" outlet that mentions a political ideology is not objective.

Unfortunately, too often today many conservatives like to make all sorts of issues, especially anything to do with Obama a "black" issue (even though they also frequently like to say that black people are ALWAYS talking about racial things lol).

On Gary.....ummmm.....Chicago is not responsible for Gary, Indiana. It is its own municipality in a totally different state. Also various cities in the Midwest experienced white flight, practically every city in the country experienced white flight. Integration has nothing to do with the issues facing that city today. They are economic issues that have been occurring since before 1960 when the area started to lose major employers. I am VERY familiar with the Midwest in general as I am from the Great Lakes region.

Many cities in the Rust Belt were economic powerhouses due to industrialization from the late 19th and early to mid 20th centuries. After the technologies changed and industries went to other countries, those cities lost population and became blighted and poverty stricken. Fortunately many of those cities today (even Detroit) are making a comeback, even though it is slow going. I am more hopeful and excited at Detroit (I used to live in Detroit) versus Gary as they have much more going on in Detroit today and I do think that the bankruptcy there was a good thing in a way for the city. But I don't know about Gary...

I feel bad for its residents. It is actually the most blighted city in the Great Lakes by many measures.

However, neither Chicago nor integration is the sole cause of its demise. The major factor in its condition today is divestment and a dwindling population. Only those too poor to move or who are die-hard residents wanting to improve the city have stayed.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
Feds, Baltimore County strike deal to end discriminatory housing policies - Baltimore Sun

This looks like a better article than that other hit piece, but it is still quite vague. As the idea is that Baltimore is going to assist in providing private developers financing to build in specific areas. This will probably be with attractive mezz financing that is lower in priority than their perm loan.

So are you asking me to link you affordable housing complexes that haven't destroyed neighborhoods?

Affordable Housing

As you can see for yourself, if you think these buildings are going to cause the neighbors to pack up their bags pronto, you're delusional.
ITA with you in regards to the buildings that are usually developed with these activities by metros and housing authorities.

They really are transforming poor communities and providing excellent buildings and even subdivisions (I worked for a housing authority that built $150k-$280k homes!) in all sorts of neighborhoods.

Most of you today just have a negative view, for one of black people, and two of housing authorities.

The developments created via these programs are many times phenomenal with the best amenities out there and they fill up quickly with a majority of market rate tenants.

Here are some of the pictures in Atlanta with "before" and "after." I was involved in some of these developments:

The Atlanta Housing Authority - Real Estate Development

The standards of the developments are very high and usually in wealthier neighborhoods they are majority, privately owned properties, however usually the housing authority, if they put some funds into the project, retain ownership of a percentage.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:50 PM

234 posts, read 202,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with you in regards to the buildings that are usually developed with these activities by metros and housing authorities.

They really are transforming poor communities and providing excellent buildings and even subdivisions (I worked for a housing authority that built $150k-$280k homes!) in all sorts of neighborhoods.

Most of you today just have a negative view, for one of black people, and two of housing authorities.

The developments created via these programs are many times phenomenal with the best amenities out there and they fill up quickly with a majority of market rate tenants.

Here are some of the pictures in Atlanta with "before" and "after." I was involved in some of these developments:

The Atlanta Housing Authority - Real Estate Development

The standards of the developments are very high and usually in wealthier neighborhoods they are majority, privately owned properties, however usually the housing authority, if they put some funds into the project, retain ownership of a percentage.
Yeah as the special limited partner so the property can get massive real estate tax abatements.

Usually the ownership is less than 1%

You've been the only person to post that has any clue what is going on in this industry. Most others have been just fear mongering nimbys and race Trolls.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:29 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post

Affordable Housing

Yeah that's a lot better source. Thanks for that. Still, it's much as I suspected. It sounds like a lot more social engineering.

The logic goes something like this:
  • Affluent white neighborhoods have more money in them.
  • As a direct result, their neighborhoods are nicer. They have better hospitals, better houses, better schools, less crime, better shopping areas, better everything.
  • Poor neighborhoods have crappy everything.
  • Solution: Move the whole poor neighborhood into the white affluent neighborhood where everything is nicer.
  • This always seems to result in white flight, followed by everything nice about the area going straight to hell.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I just love threads where Republicans prove everything that i already believe about them....not that i needed it.

Pretty soon, one of those "why won't Blacks vote Republican" threads will pop up. And i'll quickly be able to reference this thread.
But but but, Demoncraps are deh real raaaacists!

I'm very tired of hearing that meme that the Democratic Party are where real racists are, yet topics like these with their thinly veiled racism are exclusively made by GOP voters

Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Quote:
To quote the article:

They're not moving rich blacks into these neighborhoods. They're apparently moving in only poor ones.

The problem is that this sort of thing has been tried and tried and tried. Forcible integration doesn't work. Upper class and upper-middle class folks, regardless of race or color, live where they live because they believe they in a low-crime bubble. People who make a lot of money don't tend to turn to lives a crime at nearly the same rate that low-income folks do. If the government forcibly built all-white trailer parks in affluent neighborhoods, I think the results would be the same: The rich folks would cut their losses and get the hell outa Dodge. They'll lose a pile of money for their troubles. Some won't be able to afford to leave anytime soon. They'll be pissed off in general. But most can afford to leave and will do so.

Do a little research on Gary, Indiana sometime. It used to be a nice town. Then the government forced integration. The rich folks left. The poor -- predominantly black poor -- poured into Gary. There were nice houses left abandoned all over town. Just kick the door in and the house could be yours for free.

How did the Gary, Indiana experiment work out in the long run? Here's the murder capitals of the USA:

10 Wilmington, DE
9 Trenton, NJ
8 Riviera Beach, FL
7 New Orleans, LA
6 Camden, NJ
5 Detroit, MI
4 Gary, IN
3 St. Louis, MO
2 Chester, PA
1 East St. Louis, IL

Gary is a Chicago suburb -- one that Chicago would love to disown honestly. Barack Obama supposedly came from here. He really should know better. It's not about racism. It's about bad results when you try and force people to live together when they don't want to.

PS: I suspect that the article is biased. If you can find a more neutral source, I'd be interested to see it.
You should probably do a little research on Gary as you have no flipping clue what you are spouting. Hell potus was born in HI, not Chicago. He went to the presidency from Chicago. Big difference there. Blacks were already there and was majority black by the time hatcher was elected. The demise of the steel industry is what failed Gary. It's a one trick pony and never tried to diversify it's economy until recently.

Forced integration? You mean "allowing" blacks to move into Miller is forced integration? Please, the one area of the city that didn't see massive blockbusting like Glen park or the west side is Miller as the residents banned together both black and white to stop it as much as they could. Those white people didn't leave nice homes, many homes and businesses were torched for the insurance money. Keep in mind Miller is still the wealthiest area in the city and most diverse although the majority of white people in Gary live in Glen park. Black oak arguably the poorest part of Gary is majority white so go figure.

How can Chicago disown Gary? Different state there bub. For the record damn near everyone in Miller can afford to leave Gary, they don't. It's population has stayed the same at around 10k or so give or take since the 60's. My family still chooses to live in Gary, never been a victim of crime.

Last edited by msamhunter; 04-11-2016 at 05:07 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 05:00 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,172 times
Will all the wealthy white people be required to get diversity training from their HOA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies