Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 10:21 AM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Honestly, I think if most just wouldn't make such a big deal about it, there would be no issue. ...

Case in point. Recently, Georgia has the Religious Freedom Bill before the State Legislature. While I did not agree with all of their points, they TOO have rights to show THEIR beliefs and to be heard???? ...

My point is that ALL people should be heard and respected. Period. In fact, most of us over 50 were taught Civics to include treatment of others and societal issues in general. It WASN'T A BIG DEAL...while it did take time for society to adjust, it was done in relatively 30 years or less. One merely needs to look back to the way alternative societies were treated just 30 years ago to see what I mean.

See? We can disagree but, the very last thing I want to see is any group bullied. Again, if you aren't causing trouble, live and let live. It's not for me to judge. However, it IS for me to decide whether or not I agree. I do NOT have the right to make you or yours come to my way of thinking. That is for YOU to decide.

You sound like a pretty decent guy. But honestly, there are things you just aren't getting.

Making no big deal about issues usually means that issues never get solved.

Yes, people have a right to show their beliefs and be heard. But that is different than people taking ACTIONS against other people.

What exactly that you learned about in civics classes wasn't a big deal? It sounds as if you talking about civil rights. Do you realize that slavery was an issue in this "country" (counting colonial times) for hundreds of years and that the vast majority of those slaves NEVER had civil rights? Do you realize that even when the Civil War eventually ended slavery that many civil rights were denied those former slaves and their children for the rest of their lives?

And even for those who only suffered for 30 years. Gee...just 30 years. Do you know what it's like to suffer from anything for 30 years? That's almost half a person's lifetime.

What I think you're missing entirely is that we're not talking about opinions hurting people...we're talking about ACTIONS hurting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The left this and the left that...

I wish you could see how ridiculous comments like this sound. Is it really possible you believe that someone with more liberal attitude about such things "ignores" the likes of "Muslims throwing gay people off of rooftops?" Can you possibly be serious?

Thing is..., most reasonable people don't assume ALL Muslims are throwing gay people off of rooftops any more than ALL Americans think the ridiculous things that you think!
The VoR poster fails to mention that violence against gays isn't unique to Muslims: seems to me Matthew Shepherd was brutally beaten, tortured (yes, tortured - how "ISIS", or how "George W Bush") by heterosexual Americans, and left to die on a fence, slowly, painfully. Sort of like being thrown off a rooftop, except more painful and a more prolonged, agonizing death:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Matthew Wayne "Matt" Shepard (December 1, 1976 – October 12, 1998) was an American student at the University of Wyoming who was beaten, tortured, and left to die near Laramie, Wyoming on the night of October 6, 1998, and died six days later at Poudre Valley Hospital in Fort Collins, Colorado, on October 12, from severe head injuries.
Indeed, there were 2,001 incidents of anti-LGBTQ violence in America in 2013, and that figure only reflects reported violence. So perhaps voiceofrezon should reflect on his or her analogy, as it is vacant and void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Thing is..., most reasonable people don't assume ALL Muslims are throwing gay people off of rooftops any more than ALL Americans think the ridiculous things that you think!
Perhaps said person is not reasonable?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
He isn't making the tux. A baker spends hours baking and decorating a cake. It's a multiple day process. I don't see how a tux can be "rented with love" by the clerk working at the tux rental store but I can see how a wedding cake can be "baked with love" by the baker.

I guess he should have just said that he was too booked up and couldn't fit the cake into his schedule. Then there wouldn't have been a lawsuit.

Yes yes yes! He should have lied! He should have lied, instead of showing what evil is in his heart.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:32 AM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
SO very tolerant of you.
Actually, it's the perfect example of tolerance.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post

Yes yes yes! He should have lied! He should have lied, instead of showing what evil is in his heart.

So much drama!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
So much drama!
The truth, Madam, is painful, so very painful.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
So much drama!
Pardon me Ma'am, not claiming to be a professional critic or judge of the Academy Awards or anything like that, however IMHO this takes the cake for drama:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
see our dear prog invaders here?

..But the PROG doest care about the constitution except where it is a battering ram they can use to splatter the brains of those that do what they say.

...There is an evil in this country. It isn't liberal. it isn't conservative. It is Progressivism. it is evil and those who practice it wont stop until everyone is either bowing the knee or dead.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Pretty much.

I was a liberal throughout most of my college years during the Bush days. We shouted down conservatives, claimed "oppression," etc. We thought Bush was going to draft us all then send us to Iraq to get beheaded. Looking back, we were completely crazy.

I ended up flunking out of school at the end of 2007 and took a semester off. I never told my parents, and would get up and go to a nearby state park and walk for hours in the mornings. Basically, I figured out I was not going anywhere in life with an entitlement mindset, and needed a swift kick in the ass and some accountability. Long story short I started listening to Beck (before he went nuts) and Limbaugh and found they made a lot of sense.

When I back to college that fall with my newly found conservative beliefs, I found most of my former friends and teachers absolutely despised my views. I wasn't in your face about it, but when people would ask, I'd let them know I'd changed. I was downright hated by all but one of the liberal professors, and lost of my former friends. It was hurtful. The department chair arbitrarily failed me from a critical class, and he was the only one teaching a class in that subfield. I basically left the major because I know I'd never get ahead.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:15 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Pretty much.

I was a liberal throughout most of my college years during the Bush days. We shouted down conservatives, claimed "oppression," etc. We thought Bush was going to draft us all then send us to Iraq to get beheaded. Looking back, we were completely crazy.

I ended up flunking out of school at the end of 2007 and took a semester off. I never told my parents, and would get up and go to a nearby state park and walk for hours in the mornings. Basically, I figured out I was not going anywhere in life with an entitlement mindset, and needed a swift kick in the ass and some accountability. Long story short I started listening to Beck (before he went nuts) and Limbaugh and found they made a lot of sense.

When I back to college that fall with my newly found conservative beliefs, I found most of my former friends and teachers absolutely despised my views. I wasn't in your face about it, but when people would ask, I'd let them know I'd changed. I was downright hated by all but one of the liberal professors, and lost of my former friends. It was hurtful. The department chair arbitrarily failed me from a critical class, and he was the only one teaching a class in that subfield. I basically left the major because I know I'd never get ahead.
Seems you are easily swayed and not too adept at dealing with challenge or adversity, but what is really missing from your story is what actually changed your perspective from liberal to conservative, perhaps to add to "My Cement Theory" thread...

All I might say short of knowing the particulars is that you are by no means one of the only ones who took that "walk in the park" or maybe thought you could get through life without making an effort. Sounds like the transition of adolescence to adulthood to me, whether late in the game or not, but how that necessarily points toward becoming a liberal or conservative, I really don't understand.

I'm as liberal as they come, and I started working at age 16. Been pretty much working all my life and still working, not altogether unsuccessfully either -- always in the private sector. I did once apply for unemployment insurance benefits, but that was no "hand out" like conservatives tend to think. I've paid more into that fund and other taxes in general than most people even make! Bugs the Hell out of me when conservatives suggest that liberals aren't hard working or somehow inclined toward entitlements rather than striving for a real quality of life (that entitlements just don't get you btw).

Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
The truth, Madam, is painful, so very painful.
It doesn't have to be painful. A person who demands tolerance should also practice what they preach and try to see things from another person's perspective. Live and let live is rarely cause for so much drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies