Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Is it normal to go into a store and announce you are gay and would like special treatment? Seems anyone gay or not would go around to stores and get a feeling for the type of people working there before making announcements and asking for special accommodations.

One thing seems to be a problem for gays.......most people getting married put on their decorations when the cake is delivered and being setup.......do gays do something different than the rest of us?

Why writing on a wedding cake is this also something gays don't know how to do? I just don't get having someone forced into making my wedding cake......this is a special day and I could hire a private person and have more fun than forcing someone who didn't want the job in the first place. All bakeries seem to be okay with making the cake, but gays are demanding stuff even most heterosexual people don't ask to be done.
The BAKER ASKED who was getting married. And the topic of decorations was not even discussed in either case, the couples were refused service for ANY wedding cake.

Are you claiming that heterosexuals don't go to bakeries and ask for wedding cakes? Because that is all that either couple in the bakery cases did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I tolerate their right to believe as they do, not to act in a way that disadvantages me or others due to their beliefs.

If someone believes it's against their religion to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, then they certainly don't look too fondly upon me, a Jew. And that's fine, as long as they hold that evil close to their hearts. The second they start breaking laws that they agreed to when choosing to open a business to the public, then why should we turn a blind eye?
Even many Jews look down on Qr Folk AND are straight bigots against especially Black people. Not all Jewish people are any kind of liberal.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
we're talking about human rights here. not some random inanimate object.

no one is saying you have to open up your home to gays. all they want is to be treated like human beings. is that too much to ask for?
Who is mistreating them? Sounds like in addition to a rare personality deviation these people have a serious need for attention and victim mentality.

I think a lot of people are tired of their constant whining. It's pretty annoying, like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum in the restaurant, except its been going on for like 10 years.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:05 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I tolerate their right to believe as they do, not to act in a way that disadvantages me or others due to their beliefs.

If someone believes it's against their religion to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, then they certainly don't look too fondly upon me, a Jew. And that's fine, as long as they hold that evil close to their hearts. The second they start breaking laws that they agreed to when choosing to open a business to the public, then why should we turn a blind eye?
I was told to leave a Jewish deli because my young son, who was with me, was carrying an ice cream cone which we had just purchased in the ice cream parlor next door.
They said they can't have milk in the deli (even though there was cream for coffee on the tables). Bsides, we didn't want to sit down and eat. We only wanted to buy some sliced corned beef and go. No harm done. But, no, the ice cream cone could somehow fall over the 4' deli counter and into it from the other side and no -- we couldn't be in the same establishment.

I thought that it was an observant Jew who operated this business, and I shrugged and said OK and we left.

I didn't make a fuss, I didn't sue him, I didn't try to put him out of business. I just never again frequented that deli and took my business to others.

You talk of 'evil close to their hearts'. You may view it as evil, but it's not. It's a religious conviction. While this is not an exact analogy, it is similar. I think this example should help you see both sides of it. Religion matters, faith matters. One either tries to live by one's faith, or there's no point to it.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No, but it is an expectation that they receive the exact same treatment as everyone else. Not special. Equal.
So tolerance is for the buyer and not the gay purchaser?

Why can't the baker, bake the cake, frost it and let the couple put on the decorations? Seems only someone out to ruin a Christian, business would not figure out a way to not damage the beliefs of the person they are purchasing their lovely wedding cake from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The BAKER ASKED who was getting married. And the topic of decorations was not even discussed in either case, the couples were refused service for ANY wedding cake.
That's strange because this place does make wedding cakes.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/dearborn-sweets-dearborn
I wasn't that impressed with their wedding *services*. I was told they delivered for free, but then upon ordering found out they charged, so I had my cousin pick up. They also don't have a great set up for tastings (they have one table and it was taken, so we had to stand. They should really add more tables). But the cakes are great and our cake turned out how we wanted and was delicious. Also, they are UNBEATABLE, BY FAR, for the price. Like anywhere else, my cake would have been HUNDREDS more. For that alone, I couldn't justify going anywhere else. Ultimately, I got more than I paid for.

Why was Crowder being asked to try across the street? I don't by the guy didn't understand English!

Quote:
Are you claiming that heterosexuals don't go to bakeries and ask for wedding cakes? Because that is all that either couple in the bakery cases did.
The problem bakeries are not being approached with respect for where the owner stands, the outright agenda of gay couples that go in and make a HUGE deal are looking to put the Christian baker out of business.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So tolerance is for the buyer and not the gay purchaser?

Why can't the baker, bake the cake, frost it and let the couple put on the decorations? Seems only someone out to ruin a Christian, business would not figure out a way to not damage the beliefs of the person they are purchasing their lovely wedding cake from.

That's strange because this place does make wedding cakes.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/dearborn-sweets-dearborn
I wasn't that impressed with their wedding *services*. I was told they delivered for free, but then upon ordering found out they charged, so I had my cousin pick up. They also don't have a great set up for tastings (they have one table and it was taken, so we had to stand. They should really add more tables). But the cakes are great and our cake turned out how we wanted and was delicious. Also, they are UNBEATABLE, BY FAR, for the price. Like anywhere else, my cake would have been HUNDREDS more. For that alone, I couldn't justify going anywhere else. Ultimately, I got more than I paid for.

Why was Crowder being asked to try across the street? I don't by the guy didn't understand English!

The problem bakeries are not being approached with respect for where the owner stands, the outright agenda of gay couples that go in and make a HUGE deal are looking to put the Christian baker out of business.
Quote:
Fellow employee Hussein Khansa said Dearborn Sweets has made a cake for a gay couple's wedding before; and that the couple returned to have the bakery make them one for their anniversary.
"We have never refused anyone," Khansa said.
Muslims featured in YouTube video say it falsely portrays them

It was GOLDEN bakery that said that they do not make wedding cakes.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
It's justified by these people who believe "intolerance of intolerance is justified." It comes from a position that believes since homosexuals are having their rights restricted, those who turn away the business of gays citing their religious beliefs have to be bigots and going after them is justified. This completely disregards that those on the other side also have rights under attack.

While you might not agree with them, there is also protection for people to practice their religion freely. New laws aimed at reinforcing these rights rooted in the First Amendment are now under attack by not just individuals, but corporations who misrepresent these laws as those whose intent is to legalize open discrimination.

In short, tolerance is only given to one group of people because the others are represented as bigots and intolerance towards them and their beliefs is perfectly acceptable because they're wrong.
It is not a right to discriminate using ones religions, it is not part of the 1st amendment, never was. Those with religious convictions against homosexuality just want to trump laws that everyone else has to obey, they want the right to use their religion to deny others service, no different then if they wanted to deny blacks, jews, Asians or others using their religion, not allowed, never was. Any one that thinks discrimination is part of the 1st needs to read about the 1st again. You have the freedom to practice and believe, you do not have the freedom to use it against others or make laws against others based on your religion. Want to do that, move to a country that does.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Who is mistreating them? Sounds like in addition to a rare personality deviation these people have a serious need for attention and victim mentality.

I think a lot of people are tired of their constant whining. It's pretty annoying, like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum in the restaurant, except its been going on for like 10 years.
I am tired of the whining from the religious that think their rights are being trampled, when it is they trampling the rights of others and applauding it. Run a business open to the public then you have to operate by the law, not by the bible. Pretty simple, any moron should know that.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:39 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Even many Jews look down on Qr Folk AND are straight bigots against especially Black people. Not all Jewish people are any kind of liberal.
Of course. Your point?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Intolerance and hatred don't warrant tolerance. It doesn't work that way. No sane person is expected to be tolerant of the KKK, Nazis, or ISIS. That doesn't make them an intolerant person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies