Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 07:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

This is laughable and a strawman. Koreans KNOW that if they walk into anything but a Korean restaurant they would likely not get Kimchi, yet gays can buy cakes from a Baker for their mother's birthday for years but yet can all of sudden be denied the minute they want that Baker to make their wedding cake? Apples and oranges my friend a baker bakes and Italian took cooks cooks Italian food, not Kimchi.

Best to call around and see if they do that, before you go....

Or are you going to FORCE them to do it for you, like they are in bondage to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Two questions...

1) I can list the ingredients for Kimchi and spaghetti, including which are the same and which are different. Can you list the ingredients for a gay cake and a straight cake, including which are the same and which are different?
2) We both know the answer to #1, so your objection is probably with how it's decorated. Does a public bakery have a legal right to refuse service to all gays that order plain wedding cakes with generic decorations, such as this one? Why or why not?

The bakery had no problem baking them a cake.... It was what was to be placed on the cake, they wanted no part of and were forced to do it, or pay a price. Bondage.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:16 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
I'll tell you what.....
If I was a baker & they came in
(these days it's almost a set up)
to request a gay wedding cake....
And they insisted I decorate it according
to their specifications, I'd refuse.

Too bad if they're offended.....

This is hard core harassment at this point.
And it's American Christians who
better realize it.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The bakery had no problem baking them a cake.... It was what was to be placed on the cake, they wanted no part of and were forced to do it, or pay a price. Bondage.
Wrong. It had nothing to do with what was placed on the cake. It was what the cake's purpose was, to celebrate a marriage.

And yes, bondage. You want to do business, you follow the laws of the state in which you do business. Or you pay the penalty.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Wrong. It had nothing to do with what was placed on the cake. It was what the cake's purpose was, to celebrate a marriage.

And yes, bondage. You want to do business, you follow the laws of the state in which you do business. Or you pay the penalty.

Government owns all business?

It was about what decorations they wanted on the cake, or there would not have been an issue. Other then that, it was just a cake.

Is there anything you want special about this cake? Blah, blah, blah, blah.... Ah, we don't do that, but you can do it yourself. And the crap hit the fan.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Two questions...

1) I can list the ingredients for Kimchi and spaghetti, including which are the same and which are different. Can you list the ingredients for a gay cake and a straight cake, including which are the same and which are different?
2) We both know the answer to #1, so your objection is probably with how it's decorated. Does a public bakery have a legal right to refuse service to all gays that order plain wedding cakes with generic decorations, such as this one? Why or why not?
If they will sell a cake for a straight wedding to a gay wedding planner they are not discriminating against gays.

If they won't sell a cake to two straight men who want to get married for whatever reason, then they are not being hypocritical.

It's not the cake.

It's not the way the cake is decorated.

It"s not the sexual orientation of the person buying the cake.

It"s the ceremony of joining together two people of the same sex that the bakers object to and refuse to participate in, even in such a small way as providing the cake.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:45 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Government owns all business?

It was about what decorations they wanted on the cake, or there would not have been an issue. Other then that, it was just a cake.

Is there anything you want special about this cake? Blah, blah, blah, blah.... Ah, we don't do that, but you can do it yourself. And the crap hit the fan.
Not true at all. It was never about the decorations, it was about the event. That's what the original reason was given to the lesbian couple, that's the defense the bakers used in court, and what they announced publicly.

Don't believe me? Listen to the bakers yourself: Oregon bakery owners pay more than $135G in damages over refusal to make cake for gay wedding | Fox News
Fast forward to the 0:50 mark. There's more are at the 3:41 mark.

"It was a decision based on our faith [...] in this situation, it was not about the girls, it wasn't about anything but the event."

"$135,000 for politely telling someone I can't participate in your event... it's mind-blowing."

It was never about the decorations. It was about who was buying it.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
That's fine to discriminate against an individual. It's illegal to discriminate against a protected class.

If I'm a small business owner, I can legally refuse to do business with someone that's gay if they're a total dingus. I can't legally refuse service to all gays, or blacks, or Jews, or disabled vets, etc.

Being a member of a 'protected class' doesn't give you an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to anything, including the services of a retailer.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Being a member of a 'protected class' doesn't give you an ABSOLUTE RIGHT to anything, including the services of a retailer.
Sure they do. You can't deny service to an entire protected class. Show me some of the public stores that have "whites only" signs up.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:17 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Roadking, your first line is:

Quote:

It's difficult to sort out their hypocrisy
So, your thread title is inaccurate. You're not trying to understand anything, your purpose is to bash. At least be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies