Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Exactly.

Liberals would rather help Obama's daughters than barefoot white kids in Appalachia.
Correct. Obama's kids and Micheal Jordan's kids are "disadvantaged" while white non-Hispanic Mr. and Mrs. Smith's sons, with a household income of $34k a year are "privileged".

No matter where in the US Obama's kids go, they will always be classified as a disadvantaged class, while no matter where the Smith's sons go, they will not ever be considered so. There will be no minority and female quotas for for small business hiring by the feds for the Smith's sons, there will be no employment goals set by companies for the Smith's sons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Correct. Obama's kids and Micheal Jordan's kids are "disadvantaged" while white non-Hispanic Mr. and Mrs. Smith's sons, with a household income of $34k a year are "privileged".

No matter where in the US Obama's kids go, they will always be classified as a disadvantaged class, while no matter where the Smith's sons go, they will not ever be considered so. There will be no minority and female quotas for for small business hiring by the feds for the Smith's sons, there will be no employment goals set by companies for the Smith's sons.
You are describing things in your own way much like many conservatives like to do, ultimately misrepresenting the facts of these matters in the process. I know better than to think I can change anyone's mind, especially when it comes to the "poor" white older male in this country that feels "victimized" by affirmative action programs and the like, but here goes anyway...

Protected classes are LARGE groups of people, very typically minorities, even women, who have a fair amount of history being held back by prejudice, bigotry, poverty and barriers to allow them the pursuit of happiness generally afforded the majority who are not affected by those problems in the same way.

Much of what has been done to correct these problems of prejudice and injustice has made for more opportunity for blacks, women, minorities today that once upon a time were near impossible. Becoming President of the United States, for example. When the Constitution was originally written, blacks didn't even qualify as a full person with the same voting privilege, women had no voting rights at all. Of course we STILL have yet to elect a female POTUS even though HALF of American citizens are women! Not yet anyway...

No one with any sense, logic or reason whatsoever can look at this history and still ongoing problems related to racism and bigotry and point to the likes of Obama's kids or Jordan's as some sort of evidence that suddenly minorities in general have some sort of "leg up" over white folks in America. I mean, that's like looking at Oprah and suggesting that somehow that's the example that represents the advantage of all blacks in America. What's next? All us white folks should do as well as Bill Gates or Donald Trump?

Not sure how better to explain other than the obvious. You cannot understand these issues or policies unless you look at ALL the numbers as a whole, the statistics, not the exceptions to the rule. Thank goodness we have signs of improvement in America, like finally a black POTUS, for example, but to think such rare exceptions suddenly make the rule? That now all is well? That's just typical conservative head-in-sand mentality. Plain and simple.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There will be no minority and female quotas for for small business hiring by the feds for the Smith's sons, there will be no employment goals set by companies for the Smith's sons.
PS: Just to make you feel better, have a look at the numbers of white men who fill out Congress, the board members and leadership teams of most businesses, especially the larger corporations that rule America. Unemployment figures by race, income levels by race, incarceration levels by race...

You might feel better if you look at the full picture, maybe even appreciate the color of your skin (assuming it's white) more than you did before, statistically speaking anyway, you should.

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-05-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 12:54 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
You hurl out banal catchphrases and ridiculous insults and then get upset when someone thinks they're better than that? You honestly think that any of the right-wingers on this board are any more willing to give serious consideration to a 'liberal' idea?

I'm pretty sure that the reason so many right wingers think liberals are 'high and mighty' is because they're insecure about their intellects, usually owing to the nature of their education.

It's why they gravitate towards the simplest explanations, why Trump is so popular, etc. They keep trying to pretend that the answer is so simple that anyone who doesn't get it is a moron. This is because complexity and ambiguity frighten and confuse them. Whenever someone tries to tell them that there might be more to an issue than 'bomb the hell out of them' or 'make our country great again', they get upset and start pulling out classic lines like 'liberalism is a mental disorder', etc... which is essentially also what you have done here.

You've even managed to somehow work Hitler into the equation, which is ridiculous since asking people to please not be idiots is hardly fascism.

I don't think I deserve money, fame or power. I don't think I'm important. I don't think I'm special or unique. I don't need to be admired (it would be nice to be listened to before I'm dismissed, however). I don't feel entitled to more than my fair share. What I would really like is if people like you stopped being idiots. It's not that I'm a genius, it's that you and people like you are much stupider than you should be. It's impossible to discuss things when the whole point for 75% of RWers is repeating 'liberals are idiots' over and over.
First off, I am not a right winger, just because I criticize progressive liberals you immediate label as someone of the opposite far side. Also you go on to criticize Trump or there supporters as simpletons which proves my last post as correct. You claim that anybody that supports Trump is frightened and unable to contemplate complexity which again shows that liberals see those that don't agree with them as being beneath them.

I didn't insult , I just stated what I read from other liberals comments, You yourself in your post above basically said "please don't be idiots , but if you support Trump or some other non liberal then you are".

The fact is liberal progressives are tyrants and nannying at the core, which is why all your proposals and laws using government as your tool to always ban, restrict and guide people in how and what they do, what they say, what they own, what they keep you cannot deny this. Progressive liberals want to regulate people plain and simple. This why you want to ban guns, regulate what someone drives, or what they consume, regulate their income, regulate their retirement, regulate what ethinic or racial group get what and so on.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
First off, I am not a right winger, just because I criticize progressive liberals you immediate label as someone of the opposite far side. Also you go on to criticize Trump or there supporters as simpletons which proves my last post as correct. You claim that anybody that supports Trump is frightened and unable to contemplate complexity which again shows that liberals see those that don't agree with them as being beneath them.

I didn't insult , I just stated what I read from other liberals comments, You yourself in your post above basically said "please don't be idiots , but if you support Trump or some other non liberal then you are".

The fact is liberal progressives are tyrants and nannying at the core, which is why all your proposals and laws using government as your tool to always ban, restrict and guide people in how and what they do, what they say, what they own, what they keep you cannot deny this. Progressive liberals want to regulate people plain and simple. This why you want to ban guns, regulate what someone drives, or what they consume, regulate their income, regulate their retirement, regulate what ethinic or racial group get what and so on.
Seems we have one inclined toward insult, hyperbole and loaded rhetoric upset at the other for insult, hyperbole and loaded rhetoric. All we need now is more insult, hyperbole and loaded rhetoric if you ask me...

"Liberal progressives are tyrants?"

Maybe I need to check the definition of tyrant, or maybe just do a better job of finding comments worth reading...

Old 05-14-2016, 09:52 AM

10 posts, read 7,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Springsteen most certainly discriminates against an entire population of people, of all colors, persuasions, ages -- he took action against everyone, none of whom were able to participate in the drafting and passage of the bill he so vehemently objects to.

PayPal: It makes them a hypocrite.
Sure, and their state voted for the politicians that implemented the discriminatory bill, which probably affects more people in the state than the number of people that would have gone to his concert, and in worse ways.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, it is.
How about refusing to do business with somebody you don't agree with?
That's completely different from refusing to do business with someone because of who they are biologically attracted to.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:35 PM

But how can this be?

"The Democrats’ more recent success in the state is in part the result of good fortune. California has been going through a period of prosperity, and in recent years Mr. Brown has been spared the need to impose politically contentious spending cuts."

No doubt when "trying to understand the liberal mindset," California has to be considered, since there are not too many states so heavily Democrat and so heavily criticized by conservatives who just hate that, especially given the success and/or "pluses" about California vs other states as can be measured and enjoyed in so many different ways.

Lots of interesting to read in this article about all that...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/30/us...=top-news&_r=1

Old 05-05-2017, 07:43 AM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Actually, it's like being Korean and ordering spaghetti from that Italian restaurant, and they refuse by saying "we're not selling spaghetti to you since you're going to eat it in a Korean household".
^
Its so entertaining how the liberal mind makes these outrageous leaps of logic. Not the same thing.

A Christian bakery would have no issue selling a wedding cake to a gay couple as long as they don't have to make a gay themed cake. Whether the gay couple takes it to use at their gay household isn't the issue for the Christian bakery.

It would be more like if I demanded an Italian restaurant to prepare my spaghetti with soy sauce and sesame oil instead of tomato sauce. It's not on the menu and I have no right to force them to alter their menu.

Gay themed wedding cakes are not on the menu in Christian bakeries.

In the end it's all about sanctimonious self-righteous social justice warriors forcing their beliefs on a private business, forcing it to do something it doesn't believe in when in all practicality, they can just go down to a gay-friendly bakery, buy a gay cake and be done with it. Instead, they have to make a big scene for nothing because it really bothers them that someone can have an opposing view. Therefore they gloat by attempting to force their views down the throats of people who disagree with them, attempting to shame them all along the way. The "live and let live" mentality days of liberalism are a thing of the past.

Maybe a bunch of Christians should go to a gay atheist owned bakery and demand they bake a Christian themed cake and sure for religious discrimination when they refuse?

Last edited by ToneGrail; 05-05-2017 at 07:51 AM..

Old 05-05-2017, 08:19 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Its so entertaining how the liberal mind makes these outrageous leaps of logic. Not the same thing.
I'm not a liberal.

Quote:
Gay themed wedding cakes are not on the menu in Christian bakeries.
Have you been to a bakery before? There's no set menu, even for wedding cakes. "I'll have the #4 wedding cake" isn't how it works. There is no menu. Go ahead, stop inside one and ask for a custom cake for something like a one-armed polkadot octopus in a tuxedo. They'll make it for you even though it's "not on the menu".

"Gay themed wedding cakes" sounds like a made-up term cooked up by some liberal to push an agenda, like "assault rifles". It's just a wedding cake or rifle.

Quote:
Maybe a bunch of Christians should go to a gay atheist owned bakery and demand they bake a Christian themed cake and sure for religious discrimination when they refuse?
Do it. It's a free country. Don't be surprised when they actually make the cake because they were able to put on their big boy/big girl pants and realize cakes aren't a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies