Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 02:34 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,088,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Did you even read the posts? It's clearly said she was chosen because of gender.
So you believe a decision like this was based solely on a letter a child wrote to the president? Seriously?

And again, do you not feel Tubman meets your criteria of having merit? It almost seems like you are arguing against her not because she has merit--which I think even you must agree she does--but because she is a black woman.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,244,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you want to get paid in something actually "worth" something. Get paid in pennies.

Melt the pennies down and resell the copper... Then you will get more "worth" from your money, than a printed piece of paper, that has nothing backing it.

$100 in(old) pennies, will pay you almost $400, in copper weight.
The new pennies made with the different backs, have a lot of tin and are no longer pure copper.

$2.24 an ounce, as of noon today
A $1 roll of pennies weighs....
Only pennies minted before 1982, and nickels, are currently worth more than face value.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,639,726 times
Quote:
Only racists and sexists would support a system that is based on gender and race. Is that crystal clear to you?
If your argument is this

Jackson and Harriet Tubman, both heroes of a nation’s work in progress toward great goals. It is unnecessary to diminish Jackson in order to honor Tubman

I think you have a great argument. I would agree. Personally, I think change the look of our currency is waste of money, time, and unnecessary. But since they want to change it, then Harriet Tubman is a good choice.

No one is supporting a system that is based on gender and race. Let's just focus on this subject and this subject only. she deserves to be honored.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:43 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Quote:
Please read post 443. It's clearly said the reason to choose Tubman was because of her gender. I even quoted the part for you.
Well, I'll give you a pass if you're Chinese. Maybe you don't understand how a democracy works. See, here in the US people are allowed to petition the government for something they want, or a pet peeve, or whatever. Doesn't mean any action will be taken, but sometimes action is taken. I doubt that is something a Chinese citizen could ever do. Not under that regime.

This girl wanted to see a woman on our currency. That's all.

I remember being a young girl (I'm almost 65) and watching movies on TV. I would pay special attention to the credits, trying desperately to find the name of a woman, even in the lowest category of credits. They were extremely rare, and that discouraged me somewhat...made me feel like a second-class citizen. That has changed now. And it is changing for other groups of people, also. No one should feel like a second-class citizen.

I hope you are enjoying the freedoms we have in this country; the freedom to try to make change where we think it's needed; the freedom to express yourself on City Data, too.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Please read post 443. It's clearly said the reason to choose Tubman was because of her gender. I even quoted the part for you.
Quote:
So, according to you, if Eleanor Roosevelt had been chosen (or, indeed, ANY woman) it would have been sexist.
Are you able to respond?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:06 PM

19,851 posts, read 12,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, I'll give you a pass if you're Chinese. Maybe you don't understand how a democracy works. See, here in the US people are allowed to petition the government for something they want, or a pet peeve, or whatever. Doesn't mean any action will be taken, but sometimes action is taken. I doubt that is something a Chinese citizen could ever do. Not under that regime.

This girl wanted to see a woman on our currency. That's all.

I remember being a young girl (I'm almost 65) and watching movies on TV. I would pay special attention to the credits, trying desperately to find the name of a woman, even in the lowest category of credits. They were extremely rare, and that discouraged me somewhat...made me feel like a second-class citizen. That has changed now. And it is changing for other groups of people, also. No one should feel like a second-class citizen.

I hope you are enjoying the freedoms we have in this country; the freedom to try to make change where we think it's needed; the freedom to express yourself on City Data, too.
What the heck?

This entire post is one of the most condescending I have read here in quite a while.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
Now Audie Murphy should be placed on the 5 or 10 dollar bill.
Google him to see why!

Old 04-22-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What the heck?

This entire post is one of the most condescending I have read here in quite a while.
Yes, that was deliberate. Or not. I have no idea if she was born here or came here as an adult.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:26 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,725,020 times
Quote:
Once again, why should we choose based on race and gender? Are you a racist and sexist?
No, but you're providing ample evidence that you are. And I don't throw that term around lightly.

You're protesting Harriet Tubman and saying her selection is based on affirmative action, but admittedly know very little about her. When asked if you admire any woman or non-white male enough to think they should be on currency, you can't name a single one.

I could name a dozen people right now--male, female, black, white, hispanic, asian, native American--whom I admire enough to think they could go on currency. Can you? Or do you think only white men are worthy of respect and honor?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:29 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,920,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Cash is still more highly regarded than credit/debit.

Businesses, especially restaurants, still prefer payment in cash. Everybody at least carries 40 dollars with them.

That's gonna be two Tubmans.
Umm, no they don't. How old are you? I only keep a few ones in my pocket for purchases too low to use credit (gotta get those airline miles). I probably used BTC before the last time I used a 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies