Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:35 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,177,836 times

Advertisements

Lol, I knew C-D wouldn't disappoint in twisting this around to take any accountability or criticism away from the cashier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 10:49 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Lol, I knew C-D wouldn't disappoint in twisting this around to take any accountability or criticism away from the cashier.
I didn't know anything about CD when I joined and began posting, but it is pretty obvious that the forum is a right wing hate site similar to Stormfront or Free Republic.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I didn't know anything about CD when I joined and began posting, but it is pretty obvious that the forum is a right wing hate site similar to Stormfront or Free Republic.
Dang.

And all this time I thought C-D was a left wing hate group.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Does left wing hate group mean you hate the left wing or you're left wing and you just hate?

Old 04-27-2016, 11:04 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
Quote:
LOL, so just let the anti-gay bigot get away with the ranting? If the cashier was ranting about n-word this and n-word that, would you also just keep your mouth shut and move on?

I would have recorded the bigoted rant on video, asked for the manager, shown them the video and if the employee was not fired on the spot, the video would be posted to as many possible social media sites and sent to traditional TV and print media so Family Dollar would feel the pressure to take appropriate action. This notion that gay people should just suck it up and ignore the hatred is ridiculous. It is time to fight and make public displays of anti-gay bigotry as socially unacceptable as displays of overt racism.
Keep in mind, you are responding to someone deep in the closet. That type of person will just take it for fear of being outed. It's really sad...

Old 04-27-2016, 11:13 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually--and this is important--Rosa Parks was sitting in the back.

Rosa Parks was sitting in the back of the bus (the black section) exactly where she was supposed to be sitting. The front (white) section filled up, and a white man went to the black section and demanded she give him her seat.

And that is the problem with continually accommodating haters: They are never satisfied with your accommodation. If you accede to them, they will just push for more accommodation of their hatred.
Small point here:
Rosa Parks was ordered along with four other Black passengers, to move back one row to make room for White passengers. The other three complied as they were expected to, but Rosa remained.

There was no White man other than the driver who asked Rosa to give up her seat.

But I see the Dollar General incident and the Montgomery bus incident as only distant cousins. Rosa had no choice but to ride that bus. The Dollar General customer could have simply gone elsewhere.

I have been insulted by Black clerks more than once, and been threatened by Black people. I ignore it and move along.
I once was accosted by a lesbian man-hater, and once I had to ask a group of gay men to move their language and antics out of my show space. Same thing. Move along.
Or you could call the ACLU, and go for your 15 minutes of undeserved fame.

This post is not intended to diminish what Rosa Parks did. I lived near Montgomery in 1955, and I think what she did took more courage than most possess.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:20 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Small point here:
Rosa Parks was ordered along with four other Black passengers, to move back one row to make room for White passengers. The other three complied as they were expected to, but Rosa remained.

There was no White man other than the driver who asked Rosa to give up her seat.

But I see the Dollar General incident and the Montgomery bus incident as only distant cousins. Rosa had no choice but to ride that bus. The Dollar General customer could have simply gone elsewhere.

I have been insulted by Black clerks more than once, and been threatened by Black people. I ignore it and move along.
I once was accosted by a lesbian man-hater, and once I had to ask a group of gay men to move their language and antics out of my show space. Same thing. Move along.
Or you could call the ACLU, and go for your 15 minutes of undeserved fame.

This post is not intended to diminish what Rosa Parks did. I lived near Montgomery in 1955, and I think what she did took more courage than most possess.
Sounds like you did intend to diminish what Rosa Parks did. You certainly implied that Rosa Parks should have accommodated the demand to give up the seating assigned to blacks to whites (another one of those broken treaties) as "expected," and you countered with your few incidents of opposition (as though that compared to a lifetime in a culture of continuous insult), and you called it "15 minutes of undeserved fame."

Old 04-27-2016, 11:51 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
LOL, so just let the anti-gay bigot get away with the ranting? If the cashier was ranting about n-word this and n-word that, would you also just keep your mouth shut and move on?

I would have recorded the bigoted rant on video, asked for the manager, shown them the video and if the employee was not fired on the spot, the video would be posted to as many possible social media sites and sent to traditional TV and print media so Family Dollar would feel the pressure to take appropriate action. This notion that gay people should just suck it up and ignore the hatred is ridiculous. It is time to fight and make public displays of anti-gay bigotry as socially unacceptable as displays of overt racism.
No, you don't antagonize. You get her supervisor first and report her. If the supervisor doesn't correct the problem, then take your complaint up with the company's national customer service. If that doesn't get results, protest and or boycott that company's stores.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When they can't control their hatred, they can be moved away from contact points with rest of society.

I don't care about fixing them; I just want them out of my way until they die.
in other words your hate trump the hate of others, gotcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
i am in no way taking away any accountability from the cashier, that person was in the wrong, and should be disciplined. i have however been on the receiving end of such rants and hate, and having people suggest something i am not. in the end i just accepted that person either didnt like me for what ever reason, or was just having a bad day, either way i was in no position to return said hate, and even if i were, i would not return hate with hate.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:21 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
I feel sorry for your daughter.

Don't bother. She is mature, well-adjusted adult that accepts herself for who she is, and her partner of 9 years are both well-loved in our family.

Their position is they want every one to live as they see fit. They see no need to be one of those that scream to the rooftops about inequality, while angering the haters in the meantime.

They just want to live their life and be left alone. Confronting people does nothing for the person you've confronted, other than seal the deal in their mind that they were right along. And for the ones who want to do the confronting, it does nothing but stir anger in your own heart, and that can do bad things to your health.

Live and let live, and walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies