Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 01:59 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You do know that Harvard is significantly cheaper for the average family than their local state school? Families making under $60,000 a year pay nothing.

But why do research when you can trash young peoples' accomplishments with no basis in reality?
Is this accurate?
Cost of Attendance | Harvard Law School

Standard Student Budget (9-Month)

2016-17 2015-16
Tuition $ 59,550 $57,200
Room/Board/Personal Allowance $22,262 $21,373
Mandatory HUHS Student Health Fee $1,088 $1,042
Waivable Harvard University Student Health Program (HUSHP) Fee $2,630 $2,390
Books and Supplies Allowance $1,300 $1,275
Travel Allowance $1,550 $1,500
Stafford Loan Fees $220 $220
________ ________
Total Budget $88,600 $85,000

Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Congrats. I applied to Harvard...didn't get in. I went to a good UC though, where I didn't have to graduate with debt (unlike if I had gotten into Harvard, since my parents made too much), so it's just as well. Would've been cool to have those sorts of networking opportunities though.

I don't doubt that she had the scores/GPA to get in legitimately. She comes from intelligent stock, she's been surrounded by success, and grew up with the resources needed to succeed every step of the way. She's probably never gotten so much as a B+ in her entire life.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:47 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
^^^^
Agreed. Blacks are unrepresented in Ivies at 5%-8% and a good portion of those are African foreigners. Affirmative Action isn't just for minorities, it's for poor people also. Seeing as income is part of Affirmative action being African American isn't going to be what gives her a leg up, it's having good grades because her parents are both highly educated and also being a legacy student.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
On every University's admittance policy including Harvard. Just look at the admittance stats, it's very consistent that blacks get admitted with much lower academic credentials at every university than whites and especially Asians.
Assuming that's true, taking general statistics and applying them to a specific circumstance says nothing about Malia's grades and scores.

The vast majority of students who apply to the Ivies have the grades and test scores to get in and would do perfectly well at those schools. The schools look at additional factors though, and being a double legacy plus the daughter of the POTUS definitely carries more weight than your average extracurricular activity or service project.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Assuming that's true, taking general statistics and applying them to a specific circumstance says nothing about Malia's grades and scores.

The vast majority of students who apply to the Ivies have the grades and test scores to get in and would do perfectly well at those schools. The schools look at additional factors though, and being a double legacy plus the daughter of the POTUS definitely carries more weight than your average extracurricular activity or service project.

Asians have to score 450 points higher and whites have to score 310 points higher on the SAT than blacks to attend Harvard (look up the lawsuit)....sorry but for decades, virtually every black student admitted to USA universities (except traditional black universities) would not have been admitted to them had they been white or Asian. If Malia scored 449 points lower than Linda Liu's daughter on the SAT, she would be admitted over her. The odds that Malia scored the equivalent of what the average white or Asian admittee is virtually a zero probability....she is being admitted because she is black and because she is the daughter of the President, if she wasn't, she wouldn't be admitted to the University of Washington on academic merit.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:35 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Asians have to score 450 points higher and whites have to score 310 points higher on the SAT than blacks to attend Harvard (look up the lawsuit)....sorry but for decades, virtually every black student admitted to USA universities (except traditional black universities) would not have been admitted to them had they been white or Asian. If Malia scored 449 points lower than Linda Liu's daughter on the SAT, she would be admitted over her. The odds that Malia scored the equivalent of what the average white or Asian admittee is virtually a zero probability....she is being admitted because she is black and because she is the daughter of the President, if she wasn't, she wouldn't be admitted to the University of Washington on academic merit.
Surely you realize that these statistics shed no light on an individual applicant's scores?

Old 05-04-2016, 03:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. You have no proof, you're only going off of her skin color, and nothing else.

I got into the schools I did because of my grades and test scores, not because of my race. There are blacks sleeping under bridges smarter than you. Get over it.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:41 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. You have no proof, you're only going off of her skin color, and nothing else.

I got into the schools I did because of my grades and test scores, not because of my race. There are blacks sleeping under bridges smarter than you. Get over it.
In many countries, there is a national college entrance exam which every candidate applying for colleges must take. It is much more difficult and comprehensive than SAT, measuring the level of knowledge AND potential capability.

I think America should have such a exam too.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I'm sure she'll do well.

I just hope she doesn't become a lawyer.
i heard she is interested in filmmaking.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Please do share with us the contents of her application packet. I eagerly await seeing the data you are basing your opinion on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.