Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No compete clauses, put you in bondage to your employer, unless you move 100's of miles away to work.
No compete clauses are free market. The employer has the freedom to choose someone to train that is going to pay off for him. You have the right to say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 08:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No compete clauses are free market. The employer has the freedom to choose someone to train that is going to pay off for him. You have the right to say no.

There is nothing free about being under the control of someone else, just to make a living.

In a free market, there is no such thing as employed, or employer. Everyone is self employed and looking for a job everyday. There is no job security and if someone is better than you, they eat like kings while you starve.
Everyone is in a competition with everyone else daily in a free market.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
There is nothing free about being under the control of someone else, just to make a living.
You have the choice whether to take the job or not. An employer is owed nothing for teaching you their trade?

Quote:
In a free market, there is no such thing as employed, or employer. Everyone is self employed and looking for a job everyday. There is no job security and if someone is better than you, they eat like kings while you starve.
Everyone is in a competition with everyone else daily in a free market.
Unless you already have the skill you aren't getting hired. Even if you sign a no compete, you can quit anytime you like.

Theories are wonderful things except in practice.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:44 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
You have the choice whether to take the job or not. An employer is owed nothing for teaching you their trade?

Unless you already have the skill you aren't getting hired. Even if you sign a no compete, you can quit anytime you like.

No compete agreements and related no disclosure and no disparagement agreements are now the norm in engineering, R&D and technology companies. When I was requested to go in disability due to failing health. I had to accept all of those agreements because the last thing my former employer wanted was one of their senior technologists going rogue, giving a competitor the companies business strategy, the details of new products or having someone with name recognition saying the companies products had flaws and what those flaws were. For a small tech company such scenarios are nightmares. Now such agreements are often followed by a nice termination agreement and a good parachute.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:41 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,294,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Adam Smith wrote his work "The Wealth of Nations" to put forth the idea that free market competition was the best way to create and maximize the wealth of nations. Better than things like Mercantilism, slavery, hunter-gatherer, or feudalism. The system Smith championed was called Capitalism. It puts a premium on the most efficient use of capital and in doing an activity for the lowest cost possible.

Businesses are punished by share holders if they choose to do things inefficiently. You must use the best technology and practices. You must keep wages to the minimum practical. If you can do your business with few workers you must. This may have been good at the beginning of industrial development but as the economy develops. Wealth becomes concentrated and technology improves to the point that its use eliminates jobs not create them.

The USA is plagued by slow growth and if it weren't for the retirement of the Baby Boom Generation our job growth rate is grossly inadequate because it lags behind our population growth. Although our nations net wealth is growing it is many in the form or virtual financial wealth largely due to the fact or accident of history made the US dollar the international reserve currency that underwrites about 60% of all business activities globally and dollar denominated financial obligations exceed 600 Trillion dollars. The number of dollars in non-American hands exceeds that in American hands!

In looking at the current Presidential campaign much is being said about erecting tarrif walls, and other abandonments of the free market that it begs the question ,has the free market become inadequate for managing the American economy and have we outgrown a economic system first formulated in the 18th Century?
many believe a situation now exists where things are so tight for the middle class that this is hitting consumer purchasing and thus hurting corporations which of course hits stock prices which effects the very wealthy the most

Old 05-17-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Learn more earn more......

Sounds like everyone needs a laborer they must train. The pay is always negotiable and not set in stone.
Like I said, you would still have the same job as you have now. Only you would own it, not who you have contracted with.(your business your contract)

Ever walk into a doctors office needing a problem taken care of, and present them with your terms for them to work for you?

In a free market, no one would be foolish enough to pay anyone by the hour. It would all be piece work. The faster you learn the faster you earn more.

Last edited by BentBow; 05-17-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 02:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
Quote:

Sounds like everyone needs a laborer they must train. The pay is always negotiable and not set in stone.
Like I said, you would still have the same job as you have now. Only you would own it, not who you have contracted with.(your business your contract)

Ever walk into a doctors office needing a problem taken care of, and present them with your terms for them to work for you?
Contract most definitely could exist in a free market. And I see this possibly working out in the free market. I've stated this before though. I think the idea of businesses selling services to people is going away. And I feel that the USA will become a demand economy where jobs are replaced by revenue streams. I think this is an awesome thing for the future of our economy.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Contract most definitely could exist in a free market. And I see this possibly working out in the free market. I've stated this before though. I think the idea of businesses selling services to people is going away. And I feel that the USA will become a demand economy where jobs are replaced by revenue streams. I think this is an awesome thing for the future of our economy.

Contracts or a handshake would be the only thing in a free market. Contracts keep both parties honest.

As a business owner in the construction industry, I have never signed a contract from someone needing my services. They have always signed my companies contract. Not that I have not had some unscrupulous people in the building industry that prey on taking advantage of those that have no idea what self employed means, much less subcontractor, throw their contract at me. They are looking for an employee, to mislabel as a subcontractor to take full advantage of them and hold no liability....

Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Theories are wonderful in theory.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Theories are wonderful in theory.

It has worked very well for me.... But then again, I do strive to be the best there is, no matter what I set my mind to doing.

I look for a new job, everyday. Sometimes a new job finds me.
Thing is, no one is setting my destiny but me. I cannot complain I don't make enough money. I cannot complain I work 10-12 hours a day. and sometimes only a couple of hours. I average $350 per hour, because that is what I know I need to stay in business. If I am not good enough to demand that wage, then I don't make it.

Competition, finds the best of the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies