Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:01 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,485,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
1. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

2. Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons

I think it is a tragedy to lose your child this way, but the above two is really not that difficult to do.

This said, I wish him well. what a sad story.
Because in the middle of the night what I want to do is fumble for my gun, find the magazine, and insert it in the mag well, pull the slide to chamber a round, all while in the haze of being just woken.

OR

I keep my loaded gun in my fast-open safe.

ALSO, at 5 my child already knows about gun safety, what to do if she finds a gun, what to do if a friend has a gun, and we've already tested her with unloaded firearms to make sure she does what she is supposed to. Same thing as a pool, you teach your kids to respect the water and to make sure there is someone around before they swim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:08 AM

39,502 posts, read 27,859,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Because in the middle of the night what I want to do is fumble for my gun, find the magazine, and insert it in the mag well, pull the slide to chamber a round, all while in the haze of being just woken.

OR

I keep my loaded gun in my fast-open safe.

ALSO, at 5 my child already knows about gun safety, what to do if she finds a gun, what to do if a friend has a gun, and we've already tested her with unloaded firearms to make sure she does what she is supposed to. Same thing as a pool, you teach your kids to respect the water and to make sure there is someone around before they swim.
The dad was in the shower. The girl got the gun. Simply teaching your kid to respect the water at five year old is not good enough.

I would have unloaded the gun when I was in the shower, or took the loaded gun with me to the shower if needed. Gonna have to make sure no kids touching that gun. that is basic gun safety.

well, kids are kids. I tell my five year old nephew not to eat candy, he still steals it from the candy jar. He is still my responsibility. Follow the gun safety rules, problem solved.

p.s. when I said, ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. What I meant was i only kept the gun loaded when I was the one using that particular gun. NRA teaches pretty good lessons on gun safety actually.

Gun didn't kill the girl, she was only being a curious kid, but here we have a negligent, sad father..

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 05-28-2016 at 12:25 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 06:45 AM

28,732 posts, read 18,971,639 times
I would not trust a five-year-old to handle a gun competently without my presence. Heck, the military only barely allows 19-year-olds to handle firearms competently without the presence of someone more senior--and that's based on harsh experience.

If I thought the chances of a rude intrusion were too great to allow me to keep the gun unloaded and locked away, then logically the gun should always be within reach. That would mean, in this case, in the bathroom with me.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:56 AM

19,809 posts, read 10,240,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would not trust a five-year-old to handle a gun competently without my presence. Heck, the military only barely allows 19-year-olds to handle firearms competently without the presence of someone more senior--and that's based on harsh experience.

If I thought the chances of a rude intrusion were too great to allow me to keep the gun unloaded and locked away, then logically the gun should always be within reach. That would mean, in this case, in the bathroom with me.
At 19, I was in combat.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Yeah, I would not trust a five year old either.

NRA actually has pretty good gun safety lessons, wish more people just follow them. not really rocket science.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:53 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,755,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The dad was in the shower. The girl got the gun. Simply teaching your kid to respect the water at five year old is not good enough.

I would have unloaded the gun when I was in the shower, or took the loaded gun with me to the shower if needed. Gonna have to make sure no kids touching that gun. that is basic gun safety.

well, kids are kids. I tell my five year old nephew not to eat candy, he still steals it from the candy jar. He is still my responsibility. Follow the gun safety rules, problem solved.

p.s. when I said, ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. What I meant was i only kept the gun loaded when I was the one using that particular gun. NRA teaches pretty good lessons on gun safety actually.

Gun didn't kill the girl, she was only being a curious kid, but here we have a negligent, sad father..
Not arguing but pointing out 'negligent' laws and their silliness:

In Florida, and many other states, if someone illegally enters my pool, and drowns, while trespassing, I am held liable. Even if I have a fence/lanai and it is properly secured.

You did hit the nail on the head: it is a tragic accident and the family will suffer indefinitely. Yet people will use this (evidenced by this forum) for their pet cause du jour.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post

In Florida, and many other states, if someone illegally enters my pool, and drowns, while trespassing, I am held liable. Even if I have a fence/lanai and it is properly secured.

You did hit the nail on the head: it is a tragic accident and the family will suffer indefinitely. Yet people will use this (evidenced by this forum) for their pet cause du jour.
Yeah, that is not just silly, it is stupid.

But in this case, the little girl was the dad's responsibility 100%. He should have taken his loaded gun to the shower. The bottom line is that the girl got the gun, that is the bottom line. Could have avoided.

Most gun owners are responsible gun owners. Not good reasons to take away everybody else's gun because of this tragedy. I have three nephew, I taught them my gun is not a toy. But they will still use it as a toy, they are just kids. Responsibility is all mine when they are with me. Like I said, just follow NRA's gun safety lessons, problem solved.

When you have a kid around somewhere in the house,

Make sure all firearms cannot be reached by anyone who should not have access to them without your consent.
Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons, especially children.
Keep ammunition securely stored where a child or any other unauthorized person cannot reach it.

Talk to your child about guns, and gun safety. By removing the mystery surrounding guns, your child will be far less curious about guns, and more likely to follow safety rules.
Make sure your child understands the difference between a toy gun and a real gun, and the difference between "pretend" and real life.

You have to do all the above, not just some.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:04 AM

277 posts, read 367,773 times
The number of urban myths and old wives tales being spread in this thread is comical.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:

I am sure many would use it as an excuse to take away everybody's gun. lol

Old 05-28-2016, 08:08 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,515,623 times
Quote:

A tragic accident? Try negligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies