Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So then how could you possibly say a billion of Chinese live in abject poverty if you have been there like you claim? Huh?
Because there are lots of wealthy Chinese people and hundreds of millions in poverty. Their GDP per capita is very very low and somewhat misleading do to their massive government spending on infrastructure.

I rode the bullet train from Xi'an to Beijing, about 600 miles. There are NO farm tractors or other equipment. Every farm I saw for 600 miles was a very small plot farmed by hand. And almost no farmhouses. In the 1950s, Mao moved all the farmers (except for the millions he killed) out of houses and into tiny little apartments. And that's just the poverty among their farmers.

We toured Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and saw huge slums. And even their "middle class" professionals live in tiny (500 -800 sq ft) apartments with no washer and dryer. They put their mattress up against the wall during the day so they have room in the apartment to sit and eat.

Here is a picture of middle class professional residences. Only the government officials and the wealthy have fancy apartments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 03:09 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Because there are lots of wealthy Chinese people and hundreds of millions in poverty. Their GDP per capita is very very low and somewhat misleading do to their massive government spending on infrastructure.

I rode the bullet train from Xi'an to Beijing, about 600 miles. There are NO farm tractors or other equipment. Every farm I saw for 600 miles was a very small plot farmed by hand. And almost no farmhouses. In the 1950s, Mao moved all the farmers (except for the millions he killed) out of houses and into tiny little apartments. And that's just the poverty among their farmers.

We toured Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and saw huge slums. And even their "middle class" professionals live in tiny (500 -800 sq ft) apartments with no washer and dryer. They put their mattress up against the wall during the day so they have room in the apartment to sit and eat.

Here is a picture of middle class professional residences. Only the government officials and the wealthy have fancy apartments.
So then you are admitting you were wrong when you said 1 billion Chinese live in abject poverty?

Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Just claiming they live in abject poverty.. Kinda rude and inaccurate.
It depends on what you consider poverty. The World Bank says China has 902 million people living on less than $5 per day. I call that poverty.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
So then you are admitting you were wrong when you said 1 billion Chinese live in abject poverty?
1 billion is rounded. 902 million to be exact.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
It depends on what you consider poverty. The World Bank says China has 902 million people living on less than $5 per day. I call that poverty.
Quote:
1 billion is rounded. 902 million to be exact.
Don't you think $5 bucks would go further in China than the US? Especially in the rural areas of China.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:53 PM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yes and money-losing public schools

and money-losing national defense

and the money-losing national intelligence apparatus

and the money-losing supreme court

and the money-losing fire department

and money-losing medicare

et cetera
We agree, all those govt functions are a waste of money. Whereas I prefer to eliminate or privatize those functions, you'd prefer to make the list longer.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We agree, all those govt functions are a waste of money. Whereas I prefer to eliminate or privatize those functions, you'd prefer to make the list longer.
No thanks. I prefer a modern society instead of picking berries and working the land. What's stopping you from living in your ideal world? Why do you CHOOSE to participate?

Old 06-08-2016, 05:41 PM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
No thanks. I prefer a modern society instead of picking berries and working the land. What's stopping you from living in your ideal world?
Statists like yourself who need the govt to give you what you can't get honestly yourself.

For the record I'm not about picking berries either.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Statists like yourself who need the govt to give you what you can't get honestly yourself.
If people took this attitude towards roads and airports, we'd be stuck in medieval times.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:

For the record I'm not about picking berries either.
So just plowing a field?

You say statist like a bad thing? You seem to have no qualms using a means of communication developed by theft. But I get it.... It's much to say you take the high road than actually do it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies