Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,045,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
As I said in my previous post, there are 18 cities with populations of 250,000+ with higher murder rates than Chicago. 23 cities with higher overall crime rates with 250,000 or more people.

These cities include Miami, Detroit, Philidelphia, Indianapolis, Washington,and Houston. All prominent large cities in major metro area.

Chicago becoming the focus of conservatives has to do with the President's relationship to the city and nothing more.
As someone else stated, maybe partly why Chicago is highlighted is also because of the total number of murders committed in that city is quite high. I've been trying to find stats on which US cities have the highest total murders rather than per capita and haven't quite found it yet, but Chicago you would think would be really high up near the top.

And according to here:

2016 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

The murder rate of Chicago has been going up in recent years and maybe even more worryingly the number of shootings has gone up from almost 2200 shootings in 2013 to almost 3000 in 2015 and this year so far there's been over 1500 shootings. I'm just wondering are there many US cities that average 8 shootings, 7 wounded by gunfire and more than 1 murder EVERY SINGLE DAY???!? Don't you find those numbers INSANE?? New York City which has over 3 TIMES the population has a much lower murder rate and total murders and in turn probably much lower numbers of shooting incidents as well.

So I'm sure its partly due to Obama's relationship with Chicago and also because its suppose to be a gun control state right? But mostly while Chicago isn't nearly as bad as it use to be in terms of murders, its still pretty damn bad for such a large city and that's why its in the news so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:56 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,652,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
As someone else stated, maybe partly why Chicago is highlighted is also because of the total number of murders committed in that city is quite high. I've been trying to find stats on which US cities have the highest total murders rather than per capita and haven't quite found it yet, but Chicago you would think would be really high up near the top.

And according to here:

2016 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass!

The murder rate of Chicago has been going up in recent years and maybe even more worryingly the number of shootings has gone up from almost 2200 shootings in 2013 to almost 3000 in 2015 and this year so far there's been over 1500 shootings. I'm just wondering are there many US cities that average 8 shootings, 7 wounded by gunfire and more than 1 murder EVERY SINGLE DAY???!? Don't you find those numbers INSANE?? New York City which has over 3 TIMES the population has a much lower murder rate and total murders and in turn probably much lower numbers of shooting incidents as well.

So I'm sure its partly due to Obama's relationship with Chicago and also because its suppose to be a gun control state right? But mostly while Chicago isn't nearly as bad as it use to be in terms of murders, its still pretty damn bad for such a large city and that's why its in the news so often.
Its also a textbook case of why liberal gun control laws dont work. Sadly, Hillary Clintons clueless buffoonery cant see that oppresive gun laws only hurt citizens from getting a gun to protect themselves.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:30 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,214,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Its also a textbook case of why liberal gun control laws dont work. Sadly, Hillary Clintons clueless buffoonery cant see that oppresive gun laws only hurt citizens from getting a gun to protect themselves.
I have to also wonder if the restricted E-Verify laws don't exacerbate the problems: https://www.justifacts.com/e-verify-state-map/.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:35 PM

73,147 posts, read 62,828,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have to also wonder if the restricted E-Verify laws don't exacerbate the problems: https://www.justifacts.com/e-verify-state-map/.
Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and South Carolina use e-Verify for all or most employers. Louisiana ranks #1 in the nation for murder, and has done so for the past few decades. New Orleans has been the murder capital in years past and still remains a murderous city. Mississippi ranks #2 in the nation for murder. Memphis is in Tennessee and is a very violent city. South Carolina has one of the highest(if not the highest) violent crime rate for any state.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,214,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and South Carolina use e-Verify for all or most employers. Louisiana ranks #1 in the nation for murder, and has done so for the past few decades. New Orleans has been the murder capital in years past and still remains a murderous city. Mississippi ranks #2 in the nation for murder. Memphis is in Tennessee and is a very violent city. South Carolina has one of the highest(if not the highest) violent crime rate for any state.
It is actually hard to compare when you look at the when these states actually created the regulations and laws. I presume that many were enacted as a knee jerk reaction to growing problems in the individual states? Most of the E-Verify laws are relatively new (about five years old).

Old 05-31-2016, 02:33 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,451,262 times
I'm really getting tired of all this Amish crime.....!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:34 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,147,151 times
I fully support e-verify, but I don't see how it would have any impact one way or the other on the gang violence in Chicago.
As for calls to send the National Guard in, that would probably make Chicago's detractors very happy, but again would do nothing to address the actual problem of gang violence in the city. As someone said earlier, gang-bangers don't line up in platoons to fight, and the National Guard are not law enforcement. Yes, there is a violence problem, a majority of which is in specific neighborhoods, but if you're getting your information from the media, or from City-Data, you have no idea what it's like to live in Chicago (A majority of it is anything but a "war zone"). Suggestions like "Call in the National Guard" aren't helpful, but then again, I understand that when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail to you. My suggestions center on existing law enforcement (They need to hire more cops, add more patrols, and further develop gang/intelligence operations) and when people are put in jail for serious crimes they need to stay there, and not be paroled/released early. I also think it should be a crime to be a documented member of a street gang. We can arrest/detain people for being suspected of having ties to ISIS and al-Qaeda, and as a society, we don't think twice about it, but we can't use RICO or somesuch to arrest active gang members?
(and of course, education, community outreach, programs for at-risk kids, to try and get to them in a positive way before they become criminals)

Old 05-31-2016, 02:36 PM

29,635 posts, read 16,622,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
That may be why conservatives focus on Chicago, but the media is the one consistently reporting Chicago's crime problem. Is all of the media conservative??
I actually dont see a lot of mainstream media covering Chicago in the volume that sites like Breitbart, Daily caller or Red State do.

Quote:
As an Independent who moved to Chicago a few years ago and loves the city, myself and many others here could care less about Obama's connection to the city. My focus is that if a city as big as NYC, which had historically bad areas is Bronx/Brooklyn/Queens, can have lower violent crime numbers; why can't Chicago improve?

I know several people who live here who love Obama, and they are just as vocal about Chicago's crime. Nothing to do with Obama.
Citizens caring about their own city is not the same as Breitbart having a story on the city every other day.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:49 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,147,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I actually dont see a lot of mainstream media covering Chicago in the volume that sites like Breitbart, Daily caller or Red State do.

Citizens caring about their own city is not the same as Breitbart having a story on the city every other day.
There is certainly a need from the Right to somehow make Chicago's failures Obama's failures, despite the fact that Chicago's issues go back many years before Obama was born. He didn't personally and singlehandedly end crime and violence in Chicago? What a failure! Some community organizer he turned out to be!

Old 05-31-2016, 02:58 PM

73,147 posts, read 62,828,648 times
This link is a must read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_...totals_by_year

Murders rates were higher between 1966-2002 than they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies