Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This link is a must read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_...totals_by_year

Murders rates were higher between 1966-2002 than they are now.
Good to keep in mind, but I would still rather see them declining rather than creeping back up. The city needs to hire more police. More foot and car patrols. They say they can't afford it, but if they can afford to kiss George Lucas' backside to try and get his museum, they can afford to take that money and work on fixing our city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 03:17 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
There is certainly a need from the Right to somehow make Chicago's failures Obama's failures, despite the fact that Chicago's issues go back many years before Obama was born. He didn't personally and singlehandedly end crime and violence in Chicago? What a failure! Some community organizer he turned out to be!
So... exactly what DID he accomplish as a community organizer for 3 years in Chicago?

Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
The final count this Memorial Day weekend was 69 shot and 6 killed.

Memorial Day weekend closes with 69 shot in Chicago, many of them on West Side - Chicago Tribune

Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,856,597 times
Quite sad..........I was hopefull it wouldnt be so bad

Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Quite sad..........I was hopefull it wouldnt be so bad
Like I said... it was hot. In the 80s. Shootings and death tolls rise with the temperatures. Chicago has always been that way. More thugs outside = more shootings and deaths. Many would always hope for bad weather on a holiday weekend for exactly that reason.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:45 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
I've lived in Chicago for five and a half years and it's not this dangerous place that many people think it is. If you stay in the decent neighborhoods, nothing will likely happen to you. It's the West and South sides that are deadly.. And I don't think many people who aren't from Chicago realize that most of the people killed are gang members...not innocent people on the street.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Good to keep in mind, but I would still rather see them declining rather than creeping back up. The city needs to hire more police. More foot and car patrols. They say they can't afford it, but if they can afford to kiss George Lucas' backside to try and get his museum, they can afford to take that money and work on fixing our city.
The reason that we get the living crap taxed out of us and still can't afford anything is because we've got the most corrupt politicians in the entire nation. Doing crazy stuff like fixing the roads and hiring enough police is for states where the coffers aren't constantly being robbed.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... exactly what DID he accomplish as a community organizer for 3 years in Chicago?
Funny. After all these years, somebody thought to ask that question.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Decriminalize the activities that gangs profit from.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:31 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Funny. After all these years, somebody thought to ask that question.
Surely you jest. People have been asking that question since 2008. The problem is that the people asking it either don't understand what being a community organizer actually entails, or are being intentionally obtuse. Because Obama didn't ride in on a unicorn and wave a magic wand, making crime and violence in Chicago magically disappear in three years, he's an abject failure!
I'm sure, however, the residents of Altgeld Gardens appreciated the summer job center and the removal of asbestos from their homes (both minor miracles considering the glacial pace of Chicago bureaucracies) but I'm sure to point this out will bring some Obama haters out to tell us that summer jobs for poor kids is a bad thing, and asbestos is good for your health (or, alternatively, that poor people deserve to live in asbestos ridden homes as a punishment until they get a damn job and buy their own asbestos free home!)
Obama didn't perform miracles as a community organizer, but he was hardly a failure. And when he realized how limited the change was that he could effect in that position, he sought positions of greater influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies