Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 06:53 AM

572 posts, read 279,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
No. We support keeping politics OUT of science.
No matter how many conspiracy theories you dream up, the science is actually perfectly fine... it's public opinion that is poisoned. Historically, the uninformed public has been much easier to manipulate than professionals who know their field.

The problem is that this is a situation where policy will determine our future quality of life, and the GOP is deliberately lying to voters in order to secure funding for their election campaigns.

Oil & Gas | OpenSecrets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 06:54 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This is just another myth perpetuated by AGW deniers...

Human beings do exhale almost 3 billion tons of carbon dioxide annually, but the carbon we exhale is the same carbon that was "inhaled" from the atmosphere by the plants we consume. (When we eat meat, we're still eating the same carbon, except that it passes through livestock on its way into our mouths and out into the atmosphere.) The only way to add to the carbon in the atmosphere is to take it from a sequestered source like fossil fuels—

Are you heating the planet when you breathe?
Where, in any of what you tried to say, did I imply, infer, or insinuate that we are not introducing more carbon? Terrible attempt to refute. You are normally much better at it.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Misinformation to you might be information to others.
There are absolutely no circumstances under which lies become truth.

If you want to prove that your stance on this issue isn't primarily politically motivated, then you really need to grasp this concept.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
No matter how many conspiracy theories you dream up, the science is actually perfectly fine... it's public opinion that is poisoned. Historically, the uninformed public has been much easier to manipulate than professionals who know their field.

The problem is that this is a situation where policy will determine our future quality of life, and the GOP is deliberately lying to voters in order to secure funding for their election campaigns.

Oil & Gas | OpenSecrets
I'm not a member of the gop. And your response does not address the core issue: legislating what is science and what isn't.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:

Oil & Gas | OpenSecrets
Also, how can it be a 'conspiracy' if it's an open bill in the most populace state? You are smarter than that.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I'm not a member of the gop. And your response does not address the core issue: legislating what is science and what isn't.
The bill simply repeats the consensus view.
If the consensus were to change, then obviously the bill would have to be revised.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Also, how can it be a 'conspiracy' if it's an open bill in the most populace state? You are smarter than that.
I wasn't talking about the bill, I was talking about all of the anti-government/anti-scientist paranoia that runs rampant on this forum, especially among the old-timers who grew up hating commies and worshipping Reagan.

The bill is about punishing people who deliberately spread misinformation to further their financial or political interests. It's something I obviously support... mostly because I evaluate these things on a case-by-case basis and don't automatically panic and slip into 'muh free speech' mode every time something like this comes to my attention.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the bill, I was talking about all of the anti-government/anti-scientist paranoia that runs rampant on this forum, especially among the old-timers who grew up hating commies and worshipping Reagan.

The bill is about punishing people who deliberately spread misinformation to further their financial or political interests. It's something I obviously support... mostly because I evaluate these things on a case-by-case basis and don't automatically panic and slip into 'muh free speech' mode every time something like this comes to my attention.
Free speech is the key. You, as one who adheres to science, should champion that. We differ on the current subject but science CANT be furthered if dissent is, no pun, stymied.

And I still say sequestration is better than anything besides bc's solution which can't be applied globally because then it gets into 'conspiracy' aspects.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Besides, f... This forum. It's the net. Take it for what it is. Some will agree, some won't. Kind of like cap America civil war: which side was right? Iron man? Cap?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:43 AM
SFX

1,634 posts, read 889,305 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that debates have rules about being intentionally dishonest about the way you're presenting your information.
Not when it's "politics"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies