Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In CA the fees and other garbage can top the price of the firearm.
Yet, the SAME people try to convince us that THEY "CARE" about the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
There already are limits on free speech: libel, terroristic threats, etc. Nothing I have said falls into those categories.

If you yell "fire!" in a crowded theatre do they try and outlaw free speech for everyone?

Aside from that, you suggested limiting the constitutional rights of Americans based on your own fear. Our current President stated that republicans were trying to disenfranchise black voters with voter ID laws and called their behavior against the constitution criminal. By that analogy, do you think your words were criminal?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Then how about a requirement to have a class III license to acquire high capacity magazines? I'm not in favor of banning anything. Just wondering if it's possible to make it more difficult for nut jobs like the Orlando shooter to kill so many people at a time.
I guess you did NOT read my other post:

And if those "Wascally Wabbit"s if say 2 or 3 happen to be thugs breaking into your home and EACH, being criminals to start with have 30 rounds EACH will NOT obey the law about how many rounds one can have, and you are limited to only 10...., well you get the picture.

Sometime people do not think things through all the way.

Criminal are BANNED BY LAW to NOT have guns in the FIRST place.

They are criminals because THEY BREAK LAWS.

If we CANNOT stop them from getting guns, how in the world to you think we can STOP them from getting high capacity magazines?

As I said, "Sometime people do not think things through all the way."

Old 06-15-2016, 08:48 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Bottom line, whether they pertain to firearms or not, no matter how many laws are on the books, if they're not enforced, they are useless. We don't need new gun laws that can eventually destroy the Second Amendment and the rest of our constitution, we need common sense in everything that's done to prevent tragedies like the ones in San Bernardino and most recently in Orlando. Hindsight is always 20/20 and from what I'm hearing, a lot of people who knew the guy in Orlando used hateful language towards Jews, gays and other groups. The people who knew him are probably wishing they reported the guy.

Whether you are for the Second Amendment or not, I only hope Americans, and people throughout the entire civilized world are more vigilant now after the horrible events that took place in the last few years, which started with the ones on September 11th, 2001. Those kind of attacks are not going to stop, and restrictive gun laws are certainly not going to prevent them. We are going to have to watch what goes on in the Muslim communities throughout the United States, on the internet, and wherever individuals are encouraging others to kill innocent people for the sake of their beliefs, without having to worry about backlash from civil rights groups.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
There are already limits on free speech: libel, terroristic threats, etc. Nothing I have said falls into those categories.
THEN WE SHOULD PUT THE EXACT LIMITS ON FREE SPEECH AS WE DO FOR OWNING GUNS.

Hasn't been said, "The pen is MIGHTIER then the sword"?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am more concerned with the people than the weapons. I think we need a far more extensive 'No Gun" list to go along with the "No Fly" list. I also believe that anyone included on the combined list should have the right to know how their name was placed on that list and a method to appeal that inclusion.

This might have prevented some but not by any means all of the recent shootings.

I agree with the caveat that anyone who is not an American by birth who makes it onto one of those lists should be automatically deported.

Why do we let those who are deemed too dangerous to fly or have a gun run loose in society?

But I also have some reservations about who is compiling these lists and how many people are put on them without just cause.....it can certainly be a slippery slope. Which is why I say limit deportation to immigrants both legal and illegal.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I agree with the caveat that anyone who is not an American by birth who makes it onto one of those lists should be automatically deported.

Why do we let those who are deemed too dangerous to fly or have a gun run loose in society?
Because they have not yet broke a law?

Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

If someone is on a list we should just lock them up in jail without a trial.

Why do we let those who are deemed to dangerious to fly or have a gun just be in society, lock them up. Worked well with the Japanese in internment camps after during ww2.

It is scary how quickly some want to remove the rights and Liberty from others.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
There are already limits on free speech: libel, terroristic threats, etc. Nothing I have said falls into those categories.
Speech is only limited when it has a direct harm to others or the threat of harm is immediate and fairly certain.

If having a firearm or accessories were an immediate threat and almost certainly would cause harm to another, we would be reading thousands of stories of people shooting each other every day. With nearly 300 million guns in the US, a tiny tiny fraction of them are used to intentionally harm another; therefore, such exceptions made for the 1st don't apply here.

People shouldn't be allowed to have nuclear weapons because the radiation and affected area do constitute an immediate threat to others, which is why they would be an exception to the 2nd. You can leave an AR-15 in a barn for 10,000 years and without human intervention it would never harm people living around that barn. Nuclear warheads are constantly inspected because they aren't 100% stable and they could leak radiation and harm people without a human initiating any action with them. The same goes for biological and chemical weapons. So there are, and should be, exceptions made to the 2nd.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
THEN WE SHOULD PUT THE EXACT LIMITS ON FREE SPEECH AS WE DO FOR OWNING GUNS.

Hasn't been said, "The pen is MIGHTIER then the sword"?
I'm not sure what you're arguing here. That it should be illegal to advocate for certain restrictions on firearms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies