Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 05:54 AM

28,338 posts, read 16,477,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because the critical design features are the automatic reloading and hammer cocking functions married to the rapid reloading and/or high magazine capabilities. Showing trick shooters rapidly loading other type of weapons without the inherent ability to sustain fire for an extended period will only cause the political class to add those weapons to the banned list.

Just hope a crazy person does not become a show shooter and then goes on a rampage because the next step will be to limit you to muzzle loaders

But no one is calling for a ban on all semi-auto rifles....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:14 AM

57,400 posts, read 26,440,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So, your issue is with the damage caused by the round? Why are you not calling for a ban on .223/5.56 NATO ammunition, then?

There are lots more rifle calibers that are equally or more lethal than .223/5.56 NATO - why is no one discussing banning them?
Well as quoted by the designers it isn't just one facet of the AR-15.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Huh? The post I quoted was yours, not a firearms designer's. Your post that I was responding to was almost exclusively about the amount of damage the 5.56 NATO round causes.

So, if the AR-15 went back to the 12-1 or 15-1 twist it had in the early days (which would minimize or eliminate the tumbling), you'd be fine with it for civilian use?

What other "facets" of the AR-15 do you take issue with?

Old 06-17-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Yeah. You are. If not emotional, you're being illogical.

Show us you are not being emotional or illogical. Please present actual facts beyond the typical hard-left talking points. I'll be more than happy to argue them in public, or private.

Heck, come on down to Charlotte. I'll put you up for the weekend, cook a bit of BBQ (my namesake) and shoot the breeze with you. I won't just put my money where my mouth is, I'll put my house where my mouth is. I'm all about civilized debate. And a good time.

I'll bring the bourbon.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,755,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
OK she is wrong about assault rifles, as was I. Happy now? Can we get back to the issue I was addressing? We are discussing how liberals in general, and Hillary in particular, want a total gun ban. It's not true, it has never been true. This is her position and frankly I don't understand how it can be argued

CLINTON: I respect the Second Amendment. I respect the rights of lawful gun owners to own guns, to use their guns, but I also believe that most lawful gun owners whom I have spoken with for many years across our country also want to be sure that we keep those guns out of the wrong hands. And as president, I will work to try to bridge this divide, which I think has been polarizing and, frankly, doesn’t reflect the common sense of the American people. We will strike the right balance to protect the constitutional right but to give people the feeling & the reality that they will be protected from guns in the wrong hands.

Hillary Clinton on Gun Control
She is merely deflecting, or more aptly, not saying anything specific.

Either she, or any elected official, needs to be absolutely specific, or say nothing at all. This isn't a privilege, it's a right. I've said it before... How about banning some speech or some right of assembly, and not specifically cite what speech or assembly?

That's exactly what amorphous statements about guns means. And it's why it is diligent to counter it at every turn.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:59 AM

19,809 posts, read 10,243,790 times
Quote:
They may not have designed that way but that is the result. There are some guns/bullets that go straight through an that is the reason the AR-15 isn't used as a hunting rifle.
One of the reasons the police use the AR15 type rifle is because it doesn't go through walls. You don't have a clue, do you?

Old 06-17-2016, 07:02 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,755,758 times
Quote:
The ar can be used to hunt. Just not efficiently as the round would be lethal to much above turkeys.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:11 AM

50,633 posts, read 47,480,236 times
Quote:
They may not have designed that way but that is the result. There are some guns/bullets that go straight through an that is the reason the AR-15 isn't used as a hunting rifle.
An AR is a perfect hunting rifle. Jesus.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 AM

12,512 posts, read 8,290,324 times
Quote:
But no one is calling for a ban on all semi-auto rifles....
Yet, but they are calling for a ban on all semi automatic rifles which can be reloaded relatively rapidly or accept extended magazines. The defense of defining "assault" or a specific model name from a specific manufacturer as if the general public cares about Colt, Armalite, Ruger... or "selective fire" or any technical legal term is meaningless politically. It started with named models UZI (with its extended barrel as a carbine) back in the day and then when the industry made minor changes and gave a new model name they started they saw that didn't work and started going after design characteristics like pistol grips and magazine capability. Then the industry came up with the attached pistol grip and called it a giant hole in the butt stock to get around the regulation.

If someone introduced a pump action or lever action weapon with a detachable fast reloading magazine to get around the semi automatic ban and someone went on a murder spree with one of those expect it to be added to a banned list also.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:23 AM

57,400 posts, read 26,440,027 times
Quote:
Huh? The post I quoted was yours, not a firearms designer's. Your post that I was responding to was almost exclusively about the amount of damage the 5.56 NATO round causes.

So, if the AR-15 went back to the 12-1 or 15-1 twist it had in the early days (which would minimize or eliminate the tumbling), you'd be fine with it for civilian use?

What other "facets" of the AR-15 do you take issue with?
Those were the same comments as one of the designers, I already listed all the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies