Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
I would use what means to defend myself as is permitted by law. That does not necessarily mean that I have the right to use deadly force in every circumstance, as many who have been convicted of manslaughter have learned to their detriment.
Here is an example in todays news:

Dead man, woman found in home
Police found two dead bodies in a northwest valley home late Thursday after receiving a report of a home invasion at the address

The 911 caller had identified himself as the owner of the house and said he and his wife arrived home to find an intruder there, Hoye said.

Preliminary information indicated that the man's wife was shot and killed by the intruder and that the man had returned fire, killing the intruder, Hoye said

ReviewJournal.com - News - Dead man, woman found in home

Old 05-09-2008, 07:19 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
"...it is my opinion that when the majority of the people (mis)use the law to act irrational, the law should be changed to restrict irrational behaviour."

**********Clearly your opinion is wrong. The majority of the people do NOT misuse ANY law to act irrational. That's nonsense.

"...illogical religious people who build their beliefs on so called 'Holy Scripture' instead of facts and logic..."

**********How DARE you.

"...Be sure to have a copy of that in your hand when you take a gun onto an airplane."

**********No need. A gun isn't "taken onto an airplane". It's checked with the baggage. A pain in the neck, but not a big deal.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
If we all need to have guns in order to be safe, then what does that say about our society?
It says we can't depend on a limited government and police force so we depend upon our empowered selves and our right to defend ourselves against the criminals that abound in the world today.

Many of whom are repeat criminals released back into society by whining liberals again and again, in order to rape and kill repeatedly.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashTheCash View Post
Well regulated means well governed or well directed according to rules or well under the control of the government.
Yup, but its not mandated that a well organized militia be kept up continuously. Whats mandated is that no laws preventing the ability of raising one by banning or restricting availability of firearms to the citizenry are permissable. Reasonable restrictions, while questionable on a constitutional level, have been permitted & overlooked for decades.
The fact is the overzealousness of the gun control freaks has gotten out of hand & now that the SC is reviewing the legality of restrictive municipal gun control laws, something it has NEVER done before, people in support of anti American law are tripping over themselves trying to justify the unjustifiable.

Quote:
The U. S. Government has no powers other than those enumerated in the Constitution.
Thats right, & they are directly & unquestionable not authorised to violate the constitution. They do however have a very real responsibility to protect the rights of all Americans from state & municipal govts violating those right.
Nobody would say that the gov't was wrong for ensureing the rights of blacks in the south were protected. Its the same thing.

Quote:
No it wasn't.
You are correct. The bill of rights is a list of amendments added to clarify some things to prevent exactly what we see today. Those things were put there to protect basic civil liberties from people who might not value them as much as others. We are a democratic country but not run by mob rule.
If the majority wanted to ban Islam for instance it couldn't do so because even tho we are a democracy we respect that a persons right to worship, or not, as they see fit is non negotiable as long as that worship isn't hurting others. We dont ban a religion because of what might or even whats likely to happen. If someone commits a religious motivated crime we punish them AFTER they do it. The same rules of law govern guns. Banning guns is unconstitutional in the same way.
For the same reason a city cant ban Islam they cant ban guns.
If someone commits a crime with a gun thats another matter but banning them or over restricting them from the entire populace is simply unjustifiable in this country for any reason.

People I think will learn the truth of this real soon.

Why do you say the Anti federalists were Jeffersonian?[/quote]

Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Rizzo's Pizzeria in Torrance plans fundraiser today for Pick family

Rizzo's Pizzeria in Torrance is holding a fundraiser today to raise money for surviving members of the Pick family, which was devastated by a murder-suicide last week.
The restaurant said it plans to donate 20 percent of its proceeds today May 9 to the Picks, and they also are taking cash donations in a collection box.
Rizzo's is at 2350 Sepulveda Blvd., Suite G, a little more than a block east of Crenshaw Boulevard.
Steven Pick, 42, shot and killed his 5-year-old son, Tyler, and his 62-year-old mother-in-law, Janell Stern, at the family home in the 1900 block of 230th Street on April 28.
He also wounded his wife, Jacquelyn, before killing himself. Unharmed was the couple's 4-year-old daughter, Nicole.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
Certainly, that is a tragedy - one that might not have happened if the man and the intruder were not carrying guns. I personally have no use for handguns; I think that only the police and military should have them (and I have serious doubt that the military needs them).

Old 05-09-2008, 07:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
When you are disarmed by the airline regulation you are then vulnerable to assault by anyone willing to punch or kick you for whatever reason. Do you trust a stewardess to be able to defend you from an aggressive passenger? I don't. I would have to defend myself and would prefer to have a weapon handy.

If the box cutter boys had to face an airplane with several armed passengers I doubt if they could actually have hijacked the 9/11 airplanes. I think that outcome, even if a few passengers were accidentally injured, would have been a far better outcome than what actually happened. Armed people are very difficult to intimidate.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:

I am a very serious gun owner. In my lifetime, I have spent several hundred thousand dollars on guns and hunting the most dangerous game. However, when it comes to dangerous criminals, I leave that to the police authorities.
Don't you worry about all the scary statistics? I mean, you're 44 times (or whatever) more likely to be a victim of gun crime in your home because of all those guns (not to mention their theft value).

How do you justify having dangerous weapons in your home?

If your life or that of your child were threatened, you would just negotiate your way out of it? You wouldn't use your guns, of course, because as you say, you'd leave that to the police authorities. Right?

Your guns are okay because they're just for hunting "dangerous game", and would never be used to protect yourself.

Do tell.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
That's right, in the United States it is the law that is the sovereign authority.
& the ultimate law says
"The right of the people to KEEP & BEAR arms shall not be infringed"
Nothing about hunting. Tho they obviously regarded hunting as a valid use of guns it was much more their point that people have an effective means of self defense. Not to take the law into their hands as in going looking for bad guys, but rather to save your butt when someone is trying to do you harm.
It should be noted that police as we know them are a modern invention & of questionable effectiveness.
Just as with gun control, the advent of the modern police force coincides with the increase in crime. Pre gun control & municipal police force America was a much safer place to live.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Rizzo's Pizzeria in Torrance plans fundraiser today for Pick family

Rizzo's Pizzeria in Torrance is holding a fundraiser today to raise money for surviving members of the Pick family, which was devastated by a murder-suicide last week.
The restaurant said it plans to donate 20 percent of its proceeds today May 9 to the Picks, and they also are taking cash donations in a collection box.
Rizzo's is at 2350 Sepulveda Blvd., Suite G, a little more than a block east of Crenshaw Boulevard.
Steven Pick, 42, shot and killed his 5-year-old son, Tyler, and his 62-year-old mother-in-law, Janell Stern, at the family home in the 1900 block of 230th Street on April 28.
He also wounded his wife, Jacquelyn, before killing himself. Unharmed was the couple's 4-year-old daughter, Nicole.
& that trumps over 2 million legal self defense uses of a firearm?
Its a tragedy but irrelevant in the big picture. Kinda like your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies