Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 08:36 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,545,296 times

Advertisements

Another article pushing the College Agenda. What happened to learning a trade or getting a certificate in something that is really needed in our country? Those jobs exist, but they keep talking about the college education everyone needs to make it out here to buy a house. Although, I am a Dissertation away from another degree, I truly do not believe that everyone needs a college degree to comfortable live here in America or own a home: For Millennials, Homeownerhip Isn't Affordable Without College Degree - Fortune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Another article pushing the College Agenda. What happened to learning a trade or getting a certificate in something that is really needed in our country? Those jobs exist, but they keep talking about the college education everyone needs to make it out here to buy a house. Although, I am a Dissertation away from another degree, I truly do not believe that everyone needs a college degree to comfortable live here in America or own a home: For Millennials, Homeownerhip Isn't Affordable Without College Degree - Fortune
Not interested in the competition?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,077,988 times
LOL this sort of reminds me of something my stepson said - in all seriousness - the other day at graduation. Now, keep in mind that he's 23 years old and has yet to actually have a job, other than lawn mowing jobs that his mom lined up for him when he was a teenager.

My husband said, "This is great - now you can get a job!" He was actually serious - it's time for adulthood to set in, past time really. My stepson said, "It's not as easy as it was when you were my age, Dad. I'm competing GLOBALLY for jobs."

My husband laughed when he told me this and said, "Well, in order to be competing for jobs, I think he needs to actually be APPLYING for jobs - which I see no evidence of."

Sort of like complaining that you don't ever win the lottery - when you never buy lottery tickets.

Maybe if Millennials would be willing to live in a starter home like the first home their parents bought - probably 1300 square feet or so, one bathroom, one car garage - that sort of thing - they could afford to buy a house, with or without a college degree.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:47 AM

45,647 posts, read 27,275,817 times
Baloney on the article in the OP.

I am a college grad... however, there are ways to make money outside of college. It may take a little longer, but it is absolutely possible.

I don't know what Fortune magazine is up to, but they are definitely skewing the original article from Apartment List. The original article focuses on how student debt hampers the ability the save for a down payment on a house. Well - no duh on that... The Fortune article totally changes the mood and tone of the original article.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,952,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL this sort of reminds me of something my stepson said - in all seriousness - the other day at graduation. Now, keep in mind that he's 23 years old and has yet to actually have a job, other than lawn mowing jobs that his mom lined up for him when he was a teenager.

My husband said, "This is great - now you can get a job!" He was actually serious - it's time for adulthood to set in, past time really. My stepson said, "It's not as easy as it was when you were my age, Dad. I'm competing GLOBALLY for jobs."

My husband laughed when he told me this and said, "Well, in order to be competing for jobs, I think he needs to actually be APPLYING for jobs - which I see no evidence of."

Sort of like complaining that you don't ever win the lottery - when you never buy lottery tickets.

Maybe if Millennials would be willing to live in a starter home like the first home their parents bought - probably 1300 square feet or so, one bathroom, one car garage - that sort of thing - they could afford to buy a house, with or without a college degree.
In 1950 the average size of the new home in America was 940 sq ft. Today it is over 2,300 sq ft.

Some people love, love, love the European example of free this and that so why not live like an average Brit in an 818 sq ft house and then you too will have extra money!

Nah, it's a whole lot easier to sit around and complain how "the man" is "making me buy things I can't afford" and all the other complaints that come with it.

Average home sizes around the world.

US: 2,300sf
Australia: 2,217sf
Denmark: 1,475sf
France: 1,216sf
Spain: 1,044sf
Ireland: 947sf
UK: 818sf

Old 05-24-2016, 12:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I'd be thrilled to live in a starter home but my definition and your definition are incompatible. Why can't people live in 400 sq ft starter homes in today's sucky economy?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:26 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,631,825 times
Not true. I don't have a college degree. My husband is a high school drop out. We currently own our home free and clear and on top of that at times own one or two others because we flip houses for a living. We may not be typical, but I think if we can do this someone making an average or even a bit below average could afford to pay for a little house. In fact I know they can because I've had clients in this description. Or is it like someone already said, when we say house what do we mean? If we mean 1000 or so square feet(like my first house) and a bit older or brand new 2500 square feet?

I think people look at what they see on TV and movies and think its reality. Every thing is richer, prettier, bigger and more for less effort than what reality would be. And showing houses to first time buyers can take a while looking before reality sets in and they realize what they really can afford. I know even a few college educated people that can't afford the bigger house or have attempted the bigger house and lost it to foreclosure.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
In 1950 the average size of the new home in America was 940 sq ft. Today it is over 2,300 sq ft.

Some people love, love, love the European example of free this and that so why not live like an average Brit in an 818 sq ft house and then you too will have extra money!

Nah, it's a whole lot easier to sit around and complain how "the man" is "making me buy things I can't afford" and all the other complaints that come with it.

Average home sizes around the world.

US: 2,300sf
Australia: 2,217sf
Denmark: 1,475sf
France: 1,216sf
Spain: 1,044sf
Ireland: 947sf
UK: 818sf
They are not very good at math.

I calculate 4.6 Hong Kong houses in a Australian house.

Population density has a bit to do with it.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:34 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times
75% of the people I work with have no college degree. Just about all of them over 30 have a home of their own. Well, actually a home they own as long as they pay the mortgage, HOA, taxes, etc.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:46 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
You can afford a house if you are in a decent trade, and are worth a damn. Better yet, you can buy a fixer upper, and actually fixer up. College doesn't offer any insight into how to do that kind of work, but a trade might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies