Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Public broadcasts instructing people to fight back in numbers. You had 30 people waiting in a bathroom texting Mommy when they should have gathered together and charged the SOB when he entered the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 05:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Just put the constitution through a cross cut threader, all problems would go away.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:20 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Only the truly naive thinks we can "stop mass shootings".
Australia did it. Are you saying we aren't as smart as the people in Oz?

Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Public broadcasts instructing people to fight back in numbers. You had 30 people waiting in a bathroom texting Mommy when they should have gathered together and charged the SOB when he entered the room.
You know what? I find it disgusting that you are mocking & insulting the victims. You have no idea how you would react in that horrible situation, whether you were armed or not. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Start by raising our kids to be responsible instead of entitled. Teach them to be honest, kind, and considerate and to work hard to earn their way through life. Teach them there is no free lunch. Quit giving everyone a trophy just for existing and telling them they can be anything they want to be when that is a bold faced lie as we all have limitations. Teach them that life is hard and you have to work hard to navigate life and that no one owes them a damned thing. They are here to contribute. Teach them they are part of a community and that they owe something to that community.

I grew up in a time when you put others first. Now it's me, myself and I before everyone else. We didn't have a lot of mass shootings when I was young (19 total from 1960-1979 compared to 70 from 1990-2010.) and guns were easy to get. I think part of the reason we've seen an upsurge is that we're raising our kids to feel entitled. Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more mass shootings.

ETA: One must keep in mind that the number of mass shootings will go up as the population goes up simply because there are more of us and more who might be mentally unstable. Mass shooting spiked in the 1990's with 48.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Only the truly naive thinks we can "stop mass shootings".

Short of getting Barbara Eden to fold her arms and nod her head you aren't going to eliminate guns.

Just curious as to your take on why it is that we have had more guns than people since the beginning of our country and yet we didn't have any problem like this until the last 30 years or so.

Did you know you used to be able to mail order guns? Lee Harvey Oswald did exactly that.

What is it that has changed in our culture where we were fine with having plenty of guns for the first 180-200 years or so, but now suddenly guns are evil and will stop at nothing to kill us all??

Don't you watch science fiction? Once there are enough guns they develop a mind of their own. ....oh wait that's robots...

ITA. If gun availability were the problem we would have always had a lot of mass shootings because guns have been a part of our culture since the founding of this country. Something has changed in the last few decades. Personally I think it has to do with raising kids to think everyone is a winner and they can have and deserve anything they want. Life doesn't work that way.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Don't you watch science fiction? Once there are enough guns they develop a mind of their own. ....oh wait that's robots...

ITA. If gun availability were the problem we would have always had a lot of mass shootings because guns have been a part of our culture since the founding of this country. Something has changed in the last few decades. Personally I think it has to do with raising kids to think everyone is a winner and they can have and deserve anything they want. Life doesn't work that way.
Medication. Wake up.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You know what? I find it disgusting that you are mocking & insulting the victims. You have no idea how you would react in that horrible situation, whether you were armed or not. You should be ashamed of yourself.
I agree with whogo. There was confusion but too many acted cowardly.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And violent crime went up. Bad trade off.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:43 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Did people in Australia stop killing each other?

We are not as stupid as they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies