Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 05:40 PM

11,799 posts, read 5,804,343 times

Advertisements

This should be something they are allowed to buy with the EBT card. I always thought it strange that people eat better when they're on food stamps then when they have to take the money out of their own pockets and pay for it. Tampons and toilet paper should be allowed - filet mignon, prepared foods - not!

Woman have had periods since the beginning of time and have had to deal with the curse - rich or poor. The nurses office in school has tampons if needed. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Or at least have them available in dispensers for a low cost each.

TP, toilet liners, soap, and paper towels are already provided. So what's the issue with feminine hygiene products?

I'm assuming you're male, but as a woman myself, I know how impossible it is to buy individual tampons. If you need one, you have to buy a whole box of them, and they're around $4-8 for the smallest package of them.

What would be more affordable to a homeless woman? $6 or $0.25?

Plus this would be more portable than having to lug around things in bulk.

You are correct in your assumption.

I don't have an answer for you on the homeless front. I know I do volunteer work at a number of places such as PADS, women's shelters and the shelters ask the public for donations of such items. I have no problem with making these items free in correctional facilities or women's shelters. If you can come up with a way to make them available to the homeless other than making them free in all public restrooms, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I agree there should be a way for the homeless to get such items for free. Yours isn't a solution I buy into.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM

If they were made available for free in soup kitchens, I'd be fine with that. But that leaves out a good number of homeless women, I believe.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
In jails and prisons women have to have money to buy tampons and they usually aren't handed out for free A 32 pack of tampons at Target or CVS costs around $7, which makes the cost of a single tampon about 22 cents. A woman uses an average of 20 tampons a month or $4.40, where is she supposed to get the money, if they are lucky enough to get a prison job the pay is usually 12 cents an hour. As a result, most inmates don't have the money to buy them, so they improvise with toilet paper which is pretty funky.

I remember when I menstruated for the first time, it was in 7th grade and I realized it when I was walking to my class, I wasn't prepared- it was horribly embarrassing and I ended up going to the nurse who gave me a large gauze pad designed for a wound.

I make up little care packages with food and personal items for the homeless, one of the most appreciated items are the tampons in the ladies packages, if they were so readily available in all the wonderful homeless shelters, then I'm sure they wouldn't be grateful when I pass them out.

To those of you who like to pontificate about how the poor deserve nothing, I hope that at some point you will become a little less self important and a whole log more human.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Free hoo haa plugs?

What's next for the entitlement minded, free chest harnesses?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:16 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
quote:
A woman uses an average of 20 tampons a month

Seriously, I didn't know that. lol. Wow. WOW I assumed it was like one a month or something. (I'm sure i'm not the only male who thought that) I would not be able to handle that kind of annoying maintenance at ALL.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In jails and prisons women have to have money to buy tampons and they usually aren't handed out for free A 32 pack of tampons at Target or CVS costs around $7, which makes the cost of a single tampon about 22 cents. A woman uses an average of 20 tampons a month or $4.40, where is she supposed to get the money, if they are lucky enough to get a prison job the pay is usually 12 cents an hour. As a result, most inmates don't have the money to buy them, so they improvise with toilet paper which is pretty funky.

I remember when I menstruated for the first time, it was in 7th grade and I realized it when I was walking to my class, I wasn't prepared- it was horribly embarrassing and I ended up going to the nurse who gave me a large gauze pad designed for a wound.

I make up little care packages with food and personal items for the homeless, one of the most appreciated items are the tampons in the ladies packages, if they were so readily available in all the wonderful homeless shelters, then I'm sure they wouldn't be grateful when I pass them out.

To those of you who like to pontificate about how the poor deserve nothing, I hope that at some point you will become a little less self important and a whole log more human.

This is an idiotic comment given how nobody has said the poor deserve nothing. I donate money and my time which is more than a lot of people do.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is an idiotic comment given how nobody has said the poor deserve nothing. I donate money and my time which is more than a lot of people do.
Go through the thread and I think you will be able to identify the posts I am referencing.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
My standard donation to food drives, which also take donations of personal hygiene products, has always been several boxes of tampons and pads. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be for a young woman to attend school or work without feminine hygiene items.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I get the shelters. I get correctional facilities. But schools?

What next? Soap? Deodorant? Clothing? Shoes?

And I'm wondering when people in power are going to encourage those in poverty not to have dogs, buy alcohol or smoke cigarettes or weed. Those might free up additional dollars to put toward hygiene products each month.
Yeah, schools. I taught middle school and there are parents who either can't or won't provide tampons/pads for their daughters. The girls would end up sticking wads of toilet paper in their underwear, which isn't that great of a system. Sometimes you'll end up with blood on the classroom seats. It took less than 3 months of teaching middle school before I decided I'd rather buy extra pads, even though it came out of my family's budget, and keep them in my classroom for them. Thank God the last 15 years the school counselors had them and I no longer had to deal with it. Those counselors or school social workers also kept deodorant, soap, shampoo, clothing, and shoes, too.

Yeah, definitely schools. There are some really crappy parents out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies