Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
So if Texas secedes, will I-10 be off limits to commercial trucks and travelers? That would be alot if extra distance, to go around Texas. Or would they just charge an exorbitant toll?
To be fair: IF Texas DID become its own country; there's probably be something like the Schengen Zone in Europe allowing travel assuming road taxes are paid at the borders so "foreigners" can pay for wear and tear on the highways. Cars and light trucks; maybe a few dollars but big rigs would pay heavier taxes like now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 09:12 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The whole term "Hill Country" makes me laugh. When you live between the Cascades and the Olympics, "hill country" sounds funny. Happy trails Texas!

Some yes but not as much as you think and far less that many, maybe most states.

Here we go, we are #36 https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
as I thought. Texas is #29. Naturally it's the south that leads the pack.
Ah, an admission that TX is in the bottom half.

Parts of the Hill Country are truly beautiful. They offer a different type of beauty from the Cascades and Olympics, just as the Appalachians and Rockies offer different types of beauty.

Back to the topic to be at hand - The pro-"Texit" crowd needs to shut up. Now.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:16 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But that should be not allowed when it is only a small group of kooks who feel that way in opposition to the majority of Americans.
The question here is, "Who owns the land?"

Your answer is, "The American People".

Of course that then leads to the question, "Why do the American people own this land?". Or more-specifically, "How did the American people acquire the land?"

The truth is, the idea that the American people own this land, is plain absurd. They took this land through conquest. They have no right to even a square inch of this soil, except by force of arms.

Even if you claim that we bought the land. Fine, but who did we buy it from, and how did they come into possession of it?

If you buy a stolen car, is that car now rightfully yours? Whether you have a bill of sale or not, that car is not yours, and it by all rights should be returned to its rightful owner.

Furthermore, let us understand that the whole idea of "The American People" equally makes no sense. Never in history has every single American ever agreed to anything. The creation of America in the first place, and our Constitution, was the product of only a handful of wealthy white men. Being that all others were debarred the right to vote(why do you think that was?).

Furthermore, the only reason America continues to be, is because the majority wants to maintain control of as much territory as they can. It is only the minority who ever wants to secede. Thus the idea that the minority requires the permission of the majority to secede, is plain nonsense.

That would be like the UK having to ask the European Union if it can secede. The EU would never let it happen. Why would they?

The right of secession is a fundamental right, not a legal right. If we had no fundamental right to secede, then we would still be British subjects, and there would be no Declaration of Independence.

And that right of secession is fundamentally an individual right(just as all our rights are), it does not merely apply to pre-drawn borders.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And watch other states quickly follow..yes!

I'll bet you'll be crying your eyes out over the loss of your almighty federal benefactor ...er uh government
Let's see, if your state was declared a state of emergency for natural disasters or whatever...would you be crying if the federal gov didn't come and help. Or would you just suck it up and pay more taxes to fix it.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 PM

891 posts, read 1,054,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Is that a bad thing? The founding fathers also setup the country to allow for slavery and no rights for women. Times change! Secession became popular when the federal government started mandating civil rights. A certain segment of America didn't like that...
Youre right and I agree, but that doesnt just automatically demonize everything the founding fathers did either....and just because Secession is tied with the Civil War and Slavery, doesnt mean its always an evil thing either.......Fighting a War to keep the Union together and end slavery was necessary, but ever since then the Feds have chipped away at the constitution and become more and more centralized, to the point where, like I already said, its gettin to where theres no need for Separate States within the Country, and thats really sad.....

Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Texas is nowhere near seceding. But never say never. The US is more divided than it has been since the Civil War and I don't see how it ever gets better. The political acrimony will only continue to get worse. For the people who think that the political gulf between places like California and Wyoming can be bridged, I would love to know how this would happen.

Eventually, I think people will get tired of the constant attempts at forcing ideologies on unwilling regions of the country. The practical solution will ultimately be to break up the US into smaller regional countries.

Quote:
Texans wanting to leave the union can do so. They just can't take an inch of American soil with them. The civil did at least one thing. It proves secession isn't a right and rednecks thinking about seceding will be met with extreme violence...
Haha... extreme violence. From who? All of the girly, pansy liberal males? In a hypothetical Civil War 2, the vast majority of the people who would know how to fight would be on the secessionist side. Here is what you would have left fighting for the Union:

1) Manly lesbians (this would be your most effective fighting force)
2) Gangbangers that shot their guns sideways
3) Liberal males like this one.

So no, your threats of extreme violence scare exactly no one.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:25 PM

7,782 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And you would be wrong. I live and work in Washington state. I am so tired of seeing Texas license plates moving here. I would love it if they had to literally get in line to immigrate waiting dozens of years before they could move here. Keep them in Texas where they belong. Build a wall and make Texas pay for it.

And there is a multitude of refugees from Washington in Arizona.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:27 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Youre right and I agree, but that doesnt just automatically demonize everything the founding fathers did either....and just because Secession is tied with the Civil War and Slavery, doesnt mean its always an evil thing either.......Fighting a War to keep the Union together and end slavery was necessary, but ever since then the Feds have chipped away at the constitution and become more and more centralized, to the point where, like I already said, its gettin to where theres no need for Separate States within the Country, and thats really sad.....
I'm glad you agree.

As for "demonizing everything" the founding fathers did; that's not my claim or point. I'm just pointing out that just because something was, doesn't mean it should always be. Case in point..

Old 06-25-2016, 09:29 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
How does someone get to "that[s] all the civil war accomplished?" from my statement? Seriously?
You said the civil war did at least one thing. It was a joke. I knew you didn't mean it that way. Just left out that whole free the slaves part of it.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:30 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Texas is nowhere near seceding. But never say never. The US is more divided than it has been since the Civil War and I don't see how it ever gets better. The political acrimony will only continue to get worse. For the people who think that the political gulf between places like California and Wyoming, I would love to know how this would happen.

Eventually, I think people will get tired of the constant attempts at forcing ideologies on unwilling regions of the country. The practical solution will ultimately be to break up the US into smaller regional countries.

Haha... extreme violence. From who? All of the girly, pansy liberal males? In a hypothetical Civil War 2, the vast majority of the people who would know how to fight would be on the secessionist side. Here is what you would have left fighting for the Union:

1) Manly lesbians (this would be your most effective fighting force)
2) Gangbangers that shot their guns sideways
3) Liberal males like this one.

So no, your threats of extreme violence scare exactly no one.
I can't speak for a hypothetical civil war 2; only the first civil war that left redneck licking their wounds...

The rest of your post is just wishful thinking and speculation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies