Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 09:31 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm glad you agree.

As for "demonizing everything" the founding fathers did; that's not my claim or point. I'm just pointing out that just because something was, doesn't mean it should always be. Case in point..

Exactly, so just because Secession was already tried and failed, for the wrong reasons...doesnt mean it couldnt be tried again, this time justifiably.....as the Federal government has long since overstepped its bounds into State affairs.....and its only gettin worse....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
This thread is so ridiculous.

I'm not going to repeat myself (like our friend SeaCove apparently loves to do), but you can see many less than well researched theories about "Texit" and Texas (most of the same negative ones that are on this thread are also on the thread in the Texas forum - nearly word for word) as well as the rebuttals - right here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...xit-nexit.html

Long story short:

1. Texas is not going to secede. The percentage of Texans who support secession is 18 percent. Sounds like a lot, till you realize that 18 percent of ALL Americans believe their states should secede.

2. Every article about "Texit" is based on ONE guy's claim that he has over 200,000 "signatures" on an online petition. ONE GUY - the president of some organization that's all about Texas secession. Oh - and some Twitter and Facebook posts - wow, those really prove a lot. If you can find a well sourced article proving that a significant number of Texans are actually supporting secession, please provide the link. And remember, there are 27,000,000 people living in Texas. Yes that's 27 million.

3. Speaking of how many Texans there are - to address SeaCove's claim of being inundated by Texans in Washington state: about 4000 Texans moved to Washington state in 2014 (the latest year I could find figures for). During that same year, over 10,450 Washingtonians moved to Texas. Remember, Texas has 27 million people. Washington has about 7 million people. Do the math.

4. "Texit" is a word that's nearly impossible for "news" reporters to resist, since it so cutely rhymes with "Brexit." Most media sources know that any little news nugget that paints Texas in a bad light is "good press." This whole "Texit" thing is really grasping at straws, and will dissipate very shortly as our illustrious "news" reporters go running willy nilly off to the Next Big Thing.

We're not going anywhere. Guess y'all will have to get used to having us around.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Can you even see the hills in the Cascades for all the green fuzz?

I dont agree with his/her negative opinion of the beautiful Texas Hill Country, but I gotta admit, at least we know what it is...unlike in WV where they call the Appalachians "Mountains", foh with that nonsense....they might of been mountains at one point, but now its mostly all just oversized hills........I lived in Seattle for a spell, and drove through the Rockies to get there, those are friggin mountains!.......and what I miss most about Seattle is starin out at Mt. Rainier everyday.....epic beauty right there.....

Old 06-25-2016, 09:45 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
I'm moving there.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
So what would happen if they did?

1. 31 Military installations in the state, make that the new country, would shut down and have to re-locate back into the US. That's ok though, they don't contribute much to their local economies.... cough..cough.

2. NFL teams would have to relocate to the US.... Cowboys and Texans.

3. NBA teams would have to relocate to the US...... Mavericks, Rockets & Spurs.

4. MLB teams would have to relocate to the U.S......Astros & Rangers.

5. A host of other associated teams..... out.

6. The universites.. no more NCAA.... form their own TCAA.... and play each other in the country of Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_sports_teams

7. Federal facilities like courthouses, parks, etc. will have to be closed.

8. Federal funding for highways, airports, universities.... no more.

9. Disaster relief, postal service, federal law enforcement.. no more.

10. Many big companies there would either relocate to US or downsize.

11. If Texan secessionists want any of the above srvices in their newly minted country, get ready to create and fund them.

Did I leave anything out?

What would happen if Texas actually seceded?
1 you don't think Texans will have their own military, and I hate to be the one to tell you but I am pretty sure our military would take a very big hit on volunteers.

2, 3, 4. you are also fooling yourself if you think those teams leave those markets, all of those leagues are trying to figure out how to expand to foreign countries as is, no way the lose those teams.
5 Associated teams are not leaving either.
6. I am also not so sure that the NCAA would not figure out how to keep those schools involved, too much money for them to lose.
7. That is not that big of a deal
8. Federal funding for Highways and such come from income tax and the sale of gas, pretty sure Texas can replace that money with taxes.
9. Those would all be recreated
10. Highly doubtful companies would leave, they are there for a reason and I doubt they let the US federal government get in the way of them doing business there.
11. I doubt that would be a problem either.

Here are some you left out.
Texas has huge oil reserves that can create a fully funded country very easily, the tax revenue from all taxes related to oil and gas will go to Texas instead of a large part of it going to the US federal government.
Texas also has the main port for all of the southern midwest states that supply stuff to many states, including the primary oil refineries and shipping facilities for the US. They leave it hurts us all in the price of gas.

I could go on, but the point is losing Texas will hurt both sides, but the US more than Texas.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This thread is so ridiculous.

I'm not going to repeat myself (like our friend SeaCove apparently loves to do), but you can see many less than well researched theories about "Texit" and Texas (most of the same negative ones that are on this thread are also on the thread in the Texas forum - nearly word for word) as well as the rebuttals - right here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...xit-nexit.html

Long story short:

1. Texas is not going to secede. The percentage of Texans who support secession is 18 percent. Sounds like a lot, till you realize that 18 percent of ALL Americans believe their states should secede.

2. Every article about "Texit" is based on ONE guy's claim that he has over 200,000 "signatures" on an online petition. ONE GUY - the president of some organization that's all about Texas secession. Oh - and some Twitter and Facebook posts - wow, those really prove a lot. If you can find a well sourced article proving that a significant number of Texans are actually supporting secession, please provide the link. And remember, there are 27,000,000 people living in Texas. Yes that's 27 million.

3. Speaking of how many Texans there are - to address SeaCove's claim of being inundated by Texans in Washington state: about 4000 Texans moved to Washington state in 2014 (the latest year I could find figures for). During that same year, over 10,450 Washingtonians moved to Texas. Remember, Texas has 27 million people. Washington has about 7 million people. Do the math.

4. "Texit" is a word that's nearly impossible for "news" reporters to resist, since it so cutely rhymes with "Brexit." Most media sources know that any little news nugget that paints Texas in a bad light is "good press." This whole "Texit" thing is really grasping at straws, and will dissipate very shortly as our illustrious "news" reporters go running willy nilly off to the Next Big Thing.

We're not going anywhere. Guess y'all will have to get used to having us around.
Hear, Hear!....I think we can end this thread with this post. (I know that wont happen, just sayin, lol) Im a Proud Texan and not for secession ultimately, but I will always argue on the side of bein able to do so, and any other state's right to do so (especially when we got so many haters tryin to clown us, like we're not in the top 5 of States in terms of contribution to this Country...It would hurt both sides just as hard if we left, no matter what yall try to say otherwise)......just like I havent smoked weed since 2005, but I will fight for 100% legalization til it happens or I die....

Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
1 you don't think Texans will have their own military, and I hate to be the one to tell you but I am pretty sure our military would take a very big hit on volunteers.

2, 3, 4. you are also fooling yourself if you think those teams leave those markets, all of those leagues are trying to figure out how to expand to foreign countries as is, no way the lose those teams.
6. I am also not so sure that the NCAA would not figure out how to keep those schools involved, too much money for them to lose.
8. Federal funding for Highways and such come from income tax and the sale of gas, pretty sure Texas can replace that money with taxes.
10. Highly doubtful companies would leave, they are there for a reason and I doubt they let the US federal government get in the way of them doing business there.

Texas has huge oil reserves that can create a fully funded country very easily, the tax revenue from all taxes related to oil and gas will go to Texas instead of a large part of it going to the US federal government.
Texas also has the main port for all of the southern midwest states that supply stuff to many states, including the primary oil refineries and shipping facilities for the US. They leave it hurts us all in the price of gas.

I could go on, but the point is losing Texas will hurt both sides, but the US more than Texas.
Agreed.

Too; IF things went down like this thread's talking about, Oklahoma would probably follow Texas out and maybe a few other neighborhood states like Louisiana and Arkansas.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,052,579 times
[quote=jwiley;44547790]1 you don't think Texans will have their own military, and I hate to be the one to tell you but I am pretty sure our military would take a very big hit on volunteers.

I could go on, but the point is losing Texas will hurt both sides, but the US more than Texas.[/QUOTE]

No, Texas would be the one losing out. The US would survive without them

Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
So what would happen if they did?

1. 31 Military installations in the state, make that the new country, would shut down and have to re-locate back into the US. That's ok though, they don't contribute much to their local economies.... cough..cough.

2. NFL teams would have to relocate to the US.... Cowboys and Texans.

3. NBA teams would have to relocate to the US...... Mavericks, Rockets & Spurs.

4. MLB teams would have to relocate to the U.S......Astros & Rangers.

5. A host of other associated teams..... out.

6. The universites.. no more NCAA.... form their own TCAA.... and play each other in the country of Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_sports_teams

7. Federal facilities like courthouses, parks, etc. will have to be closed.

8. Federal funding for highways, airports, universities.... no more.

9. Disaster relief, postal service, federal law enforcement.. no more.

10. Many big companies there would either relocate to US or downsize.

11. If Texan secessionists want any of the above srvices in their newly minted country, get ready to create and fund them.

Did I leave anything out?

What would happen if Texas actually seceded?
Are you thinking Toronto Bluejays or Maple Leafs, or Montreal Expos or Canadiens?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Texans wanting to leave the union can do so. They just can't take an inch of American soil with them. The civil did at least one thing. It proves secession isn't a right and rednecks thinking about seceding will be met with extreme violence...

Since Texas was a nation with it's own constitution, before a statehood was established with contracts, it owns more property than just what is outlined in US State boundaries. Within the contract, Texas can in fact return to the nation of Texas, with the contract has been broken.

But the fallacy of that is, the broken contract, is kinda like asking criminals to abide by laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies