Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Black America was doing better in the 1950s than today despite the terrible circumstances back then. Crime was much lower and the community was more vibrant. Back then most businesses in Black neighborhoods were owned by local Black residents. Then the corporate world teamed up with Big Govt and figured out how to shut them down legally so all businesses could be owned by outside corporations. Across the nation "urban renewal" bulldozed vibrant Black business districts and residential neighborhoods and replaced them with huge public housing complexes and urban freeways. The plan was to destroy Black self reliance and create a group of people dependent on govt, thus a loyal voting bloc. Sadly this was a smashing success across urban America. Everyone talks about slavery - which ended 150 years ago - but too few people talk about this. The process is now repeating with gentrification. Rich Whites - both Democrat and Republican - are remaking cities to their liking with no thoughts of the people already there.
Fair points, but let's not forget that most African Americans don't live in "inner cities." We're historically country folks in America, and a huge portion of us STILL live in rural America as well as Suburban America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 12:15 PM

529 posts, read 371,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
desertdetroiter, I'd still like to know what you would have white people do to fix black schools, communities, housing, poverty, cities and towns.

You never did address the fact that you said 'fix' and not 'help fix', but let's assume you meant to type the word help in there. What would you have us do? And who should be doing it? All white citizens? Certain white citizens? I'm trying to hear you out but you don't seem interested in providing any details.

I also ask you why more black people aren't doing something to help fix their own communities, housing, cities and towns? Or even the schools?

Look at what just one woman is doing in Highland Park, MI:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-spu...231219522.html

One woman started a nonprofit organization, has received donations allowing the org to buy properties, and now she has a mostly volunteer crew of men helping to restore properties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Know what?

Don't worry about it. Don't help fix anything. Okay? You over there, me over here, and all is well with the world.
See. He has no intent on answering legitimate questions. He just wants you over there and himself over here.

But I am the racist.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:22 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,683,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
desertdetroiter, I'd still like to know what you would have white people do to fix black schools, communities, housing, poverty, cities and towns.

You never did address the fact that you said 'fix' and not 'help fix', but let's assume you meant to type the word help in there. What would you have us do? And who should be doing it? All white citizens? Certain white citizens? I'm trying to hear you out but you don't seem interested in providing any details.

I also ask you why more black people aren't doing something to help fix their own communities, housing, cities and towns? Or even the schools?

Look at what just one woman is doing in Highland Park, MI:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-spu...231219522.html

One woman started a nonprofit organization, has received donations allowing the org to buy properties, and now she has a mostly volunteer crew of men helping to restore properties.

Quote:
Know what?

Don't worry about it. Don't help fix anything. Okay? You over there, me over here, and all is well with the world.

All your post tells me is that you either have NO idea what the H you're talking about and don't have any specifics about how you expect white people to help you....or you expect white people to do all the heavy lifting, including coming up with the ways in which we're to help you.

There was absolutely no reason for you to get defensive and shut down the discussion.

You just don't really want to have a discussion. You simply want to rant about white people.

Got it.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
All your post tells me is that you either have NO idea what the H you're talking about and don't have any specifics about how you expect white people to help you....or you expect white people to do all the heavy lifting, including coming up with the ways in which we're to help you.

There was absolutely no reason for you to get defensive and shut down the discussion.

You just don't really want to have a discussion. You simply want to rant about white people.

Got it.
The point from the beginning is that i DON'T EXPECT white people to help do anything, let alone any heavy lifting. Get it? I never have and never will. That's the point. We have no real history of working together.

So on the issue of illegal immigration, let's continue the tradition, shall we?

Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,619,901 times
Quote:
The point from the beginning is that i DON'T EXPECT white people to help do anything, let alone any heavy lifting. Get it? I never have and never will. That's the point. We have no real history of working together.

So on the issue of illegal immigration, let's continue the tradition, shall we?
Geez. You're a real cup of sugar.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Geez. You're a real cup of sugar.
That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata;44639464 [B
Black America was doing better in the 1950s than today despite the terrible circumstances back then.[/b] Crime was much lower and the community was more vibrant. Back then most businesses in Black neighborhoods were owned by local Black residents. Then the corporate world teamed up with Big Govt and figured out how to shut them down legally so all businesses could be owned by outside corporations. Across the nation "urban renewal" bulldozed vibrant Black business districts and residential neighborhoods and replaced them with huge public housing complexes and urban freeways. The plan was to destroy Black self reliance and create a group of people dependent on govt, thus a loyal voting bloc. Sadly this was a smashing success across urban America. Everyone talks about slavery - which ended 150 years ago - but too few people talk about this. The process is now repeating with gentrification. Rich Whites - both Democrat and Republican - are remaking cities to their liking with no thoughts of the people already there.
IMO it is silly for people to even think that the above was true in regards to the 1950s.

Black people were not doing better in the 1950s versus today. In the 1950s over 75% of black people lived in poverty. In the 1950s black people were still being lynched in the south. In the 1950s black people could not hold jobs in a specific field or even be a supervisor or manager of a manufacturing outlet. In the 1950s on all fronts, black people were worse socio-economically than we are today. Crime rates around the country for every demographic were on the rise in the 1950s and reached a climax in the 1960s/1970s.

The businesses of which you speak were true of all ethnic group due to the entrenched racism and discrimination lodged at people who were "different." Black people had to have businesses in their community because whites and even lowly regarded immigrant whites in many instances would not serve them.

The demise of black commercial districts occurred because black people fought for the end of housing discrimination and were able to move to whatever neighborhood they could afford. They fought for the end of discrimination in hiring and promotion and were subsequently in the 1960s and forward allowed to be employed as supervisors/managers and to make more money and so were able to be more open with where they spent their money.

The only thing I agree with you on is the fact that "urban renewal" was a culprit in the decline of black neighborhoods, this mostly occurred by the razing of black neighborhood for public works projects, including public housing being constructed and enforced by race (which is why a majority of inner city black neighborhoods deal with concentrated poverty to this day - ones where those projects have not been demolished and gentrified). Also freeways and road construction and other public buildings were built on land where black people lived and owned businesses because they were easier to take advantage of by local, state and federal governments since black people and their concerns are usually ignored anyway.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:18 PM

10,838 posts, read 14,968,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This woman is a radical leftist and she understands anti-immigration sentiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iooBRFiluPU
Black people don't like to work but illegal Mexicans do. This Obama understands and in his wisdom he Know we need millions of illegals which is exactly why he encourahes border jumpers.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:33 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Quote:
Sorry. Whites can't be trusted. You know I'm right.

Lemme run down my example again since you ignored it.

In 1959, the whole south (the region you love) was in the grip of Jim Crow. No state moreso than the state of Florida.

All of a sudden, Cuba has internal troubles, and white folks welcome HISPANIC Cubans into Florida with open arms by the hundreds of thousands. Those Cubans face no Jim Crow (although I'm sure they faced some discrimination) and in fact, are given the keys to the city of Miami (where blacks are heavily restricted) and put ahead of blacks that have inhabited Florida since slavery.

That sir, is called proof of white duplicity on the matter. Blacks cannot afford to get involved in this mess. A mess NOT created by us in the first place. White owned business and corporations brought these people here. Get them to clean it up.

When whites lost millions of jobs in a bunch of industries and watched their cities and towns get overrun with illegal labor, they did nothing. And voting Republican doesn't count as "action." The Republican Party has done nothing about illegals. Reagan signed the first amnesty. Forgot about that? George W. Bush wanted to come up with a plan for them to stay too. And why not? Texas is a sanctuary state.

Sorry, but we'll sit this one out.
I agree with this but will further add that black people have been in FL since the 1500s and not all of them were slaves. FL was a place where runaway slaves fled for safety for decades and it had a large free black population that was treated poorly and heavily discriminated against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's trying to get blacks to hate Latinos who are here legally? We just want blacks to stand up for the rule of law and our borders as any other race of citizens should. You're wrong, illegal immigration
hurts both poorer and less educated whites and blacks. It is also affects those who are middle class citizens. Seems like you are stuck in the 50's and 60's where blacks were looked down upon. We've come a long ways since then. I don't think blacks are inherently lazy but since there are many on welfare why not prove they would rather work by taking a stand against illegal immigration? Otherwise I totally agree with you on the other impacts that illegal immigration has on our schools and neighborhoods.
The woman in the OP link and many right wing pundits attempt to try to frame the illegal issue as one that "hurts blacks" in order to attempt to recruit us to help them get rid of illegal immigrants. Like detroit deserter mentioned, the job loss and economic issues that illegal immigrants caused actually do affect whites much moreso than blacks. The issue does affect black people, but every sort of economic issue affects black people. The woman in the OP IMO has been swayed into trying to recruit blacks to join an effort largely promoted by white Americans to stop illegal immigrants and indirectly to show and display discriminatory behaviors and rhetoric about primarily Latinos.

All I'm saying is that the majority of black people, contrary to what you and others believe, are not poor, and so for people like me - a black middle class person. I am not affected by illegal immigration. I also don't encourage any young black people I know to stay or enter into menial careers. Too often, many whites in America have no idea about what "the black experience" really entails.

I am not "stuck int eh 50s/60s" when "blacks were looked down upon." I was born in the 1970s and am very aware that I was the first generation born in my family who has been able to fully take advantage of all that is the "American Dream" as a black American. However, I also know tht black people are still "looked down upon" and I'm not going to align myself with basically white racists on the issue of illegal immigration.

As stated, an illegal immigrant is not taking my job. I work in a specialized field, so they could not possibly take my job. I encourage all the young black people I know (and i serve as a menotr and am very heavily involved in volunteerism in poor black neighborhoods, the neighborhoods I grew up in BTW) to not set their bar low when it comes to career or business creation.

In regards to your welfare comment, I know for a fact that the majority of black people who do benefit from social welfare programs also are not lazy and they do work and so I am not one to negatively stereotype poor black people. My mom was a "welfare mom" and was on welfare when I was a child. I mentioned black culture in my original post on this thread and I know for a fact that strength in the face of adversity if also a huge component of black culture, that black people always are striving to do better and be better as a whole and so I am not going to go along with your own skewed narrative of "poor lazy welfare blacks" and help you advocate against illegal immigrants with racist and demeaning rhetoric.

As stated, education is my only concern in the matter. Black youth have been achieving a lot over the 20 years in regards to completion of high school and college matriculation. Black girls/women are now the demographic most likely to go to college, about 50% of all black females go to college. I want to ensure they are better prepared and so I do get concerned in regards to the children of illegal immigrants taking up resources of black children and their illegal parents not paying into the system. However "building a wall" is an idiotic solution to illegal immigration. IMO it will take what I mentioned earlier, a re-defining of birth right citizenship and an amnesty/fine/military service system that will ensure that those who are taking advantage of the positives of our country contribute to its continued forward progress.

You are proposing no solutions that I can back. Just the fact that you stated that black people should "prove" they want to work IMO reeks of an internalized bias against poor black people on your part. Most poor black people work. They work hard and IMO they work harder than most blue collar and above persons in this country.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:35 PM

313 posts, read 330,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really? Please explain to us why you think that most Trump supporters are white. Are you not aware of the number of whites that are Democrats?

If you think that many Hispanics care about blacks you aren't dealing in reality.
Therrs no secret that the majority of people who suppprt trump are white. Trump attracts a big white
supremacist following as well.

yes I know a huge number of whites support democrats.

The point is though is that a larger proportion of republicans that are white compared to other races.

as far as hispanics go, from what I have seen they tend to get along with blacks allot better. usually its the fading out gangbangers in L.A. that dont get along.

Allot of whites have and do help the blacks with their problems but historicaly most whites never cared.

I see huge amounts of criticism over blacks by whites all the time. when barack obama became president it didnt take long for allot of whites to write him off before he did anything.

Just saying blacks dont get the credit they deserve and now people want to use them as pawns.

There is no bigger group in the u.s. that is loved and hated more and none so more emulated than the african american.

They deserve more respect imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies