Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 07:10 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Just stop it, stop...

What happens when the man reaches for his id and the cops have no idea what he's reaching for and shoots him? How is it wrong to let a cop know that you're legally carrying? I thought the point of that was to put them at ease?

The problem is we don't know what he did or didn't tell the police, or what the police told him. I see no reason to doubt the girlfriend, but that doesn't mean she's telling the truth or the whole truth.

If you re-read the post you quoted, he said you get your ID/carry permit out BEFORE the cop gets to the car, then you keep your hands in plain sight while you tell the cop you have a firearm. Then you follow the cop's instructions - you don't reach for anything unless the cop tells you to.

"...You have a firearm legally carried and the first thing you do before the police get near you is have your ID out and have both hands in plain sight and tell that office you have a gun on your person and DON"T MOVE..."
(emphasis mine)

Yes, the point is to put the cop at ease, which is why you inform them that you are a licensed concealed carry owner and you have a firearm on you, then you slowly comply with the officer's exact instructions after that. Is that what happened? Maybe.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
I'm not one to normally second guess cop shootings but I question this one strongly. The demeanor of the lady and the history of the man leads me to believe this was not a good shooting and this cop should face criminal charges and should never be allowed to work at a job carrying a firearm ever again.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 AM

17,427 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
According to his girlfriend he DID tell the cop that. He wasn't the driver either. Stop trying to look for excuses.
Yes, he was the driver.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
I remember the Diallo case in the Bronx from a few years ago. Cops shot an innocent man 41 times while he tried to reach for his ID. Actually, if I remember correctly, they fired a total of 41 rounds and managed to hit the guy several times.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The problem is we don't know what he did or didn't tell the police, or what the police told him. I see no reason to doubt the girlfriend, but that doesn't mean she's telling the truth or the whole truth.

If you re-read the post you quoted, he said you get your ID/carry permit out BEFORE the cop gets to the car, then you keep your hands in plain sight while you tell the cop you have a firearm. Then you follow the cop's instructions - you don't reach for anything unless the cop tells you to.

"...You have a firearm legally carried and the first thing you do before the police get near you is have your ID out and have both hands in plain sight and tell that office you have a gun on your person and DON"T MOVE..."
(emphasis mine)

Yes, the point is to put the cop at ease, which is why you inform them that you are a licensed concealed carry owner and you have a firearm on you, then you slowly comply with the officer's exact instructions after that. Is that what happened? Maybe.
Sorry but I disagree. Too often cops are fast to jump out of the car with their hands at their side. You mean to tell me that this man should be shuffling around in the car prior to the cop getting to the window to give this professional law enforcer a real reason to suspect unlawful activity?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,953,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Just stop it, stop...

What happens when the man reaches for his id and the cops have no idea what he's reaching for and shoots him? .
He's referring to reaching into your pocket and having your ID in hand BEFORE the cop even gets to your car. What kind of moron would reach into his pocket with a cop standing there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Sorry but I disagree. Too often cops are fast to jump out of the car with their hands at their side. You mean to tell me that this man should be shuffling around in the car prior to the cop getting to the window to give this professional law enforcer a real reason to suspect unlawful activity?
Been pulled over plenty of times (speeding) and have never had a cop jump out of his car as you say. They typically stop you, radio in your plates and then finally make their way over to you. Plenty of time to have your ID in hand.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:22 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
This was what I was going to say in response to Hooligan. You have to be realistic here. Who in their right mind would shuffle around looking for an id and then stick their hands out of the window before a cop reaches you after you've been pulled over?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

(emphasis mine)

Not all states require you to notify the police that you are legally carrying, and I certainly would not UNLESS I had to exit my vehicle.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
He's referring to reaching into your pocket and having your ID in hand BEFORE the cop even gets to your car. What kind of moron would reach into his pocket with a cop standing there?
And again, who in their right mind would do such a thing?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
*****ING sickening! Facebook was deleting the video earlier this morning and supposedly deactivated the account of the girlfriend. I hope this pig is FRIED-and yes, he is a *****ing pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post

Been pulled over plenty of times (speeding) and have never had a cop jump out of his car as you say. They typically stop you, radio in your plates and then finally make their way over to you. Plenty of time to have your ID in hand.
Don't be foolish-shuffling around in your pockets or car gives them probable cause to search/ suspicion of hiding drugs/paraphernalia. Your limited experiences are indicative of NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies