Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you are truly full of yourself, and that also proves that you do not even know the people in the NRA. they have plenty of members of color including every race.
In just about every group I find it fair to distinguish the people from the leadership. This thread is about the people telling their leadership to grow a set.

IMO there will be a large number of NRA members that will step up to defend the permit holder here (though it's now too late) while the leadership have painted themselves into a corner and are going to have a very difficult time doing that.

If they come out in defense of Castile they have to condemn police actions which are going to **** off a large number of police forces which they want no part in doing.

Quote:
read the link again. the NRA has already stated that they will have something to say when the investigation has been concluded.
We will see but I'm betting they simply hope it goes away.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I strongly agree with the point you've made about the protocol being important in this case.

& there are many variables which would, unfortunately, make it difficult, or challenging at the least, to ensure that the police officer & the person stopped are 'on the same page' with understanding the proper protocol or expectation. Some folks operate under the 'philosophy' that 'fear motivates'. I tend to think that fear makes it more likely that mistakes will be made. The current incident is a horrible example demonstrating the latter.

Maybe CC drivers should have a sticker on their car? Similar to the concept of a 'baby on board' sign or 'proceed with caution' warning?

American people seem to be very fearful of one another these days. That's a root or underlying problem/cause that is much more difficult to address much less offer up a band aid to solve.
In WV we no longer need to ask permission nor do we need to inform an officer we are carrying any longer. I initially had a problem with that aspect. I do no carry and I do not own a gun so it wasn't something I was too concerned over. I know the police forces weren't too thrilled over that part and I understood.

No longer. I have changed my mind. If he would have legally been able to keep quiet about his carry, he could have simply removed his I.D., handed it to the officer and told him to "have a nice day" and would still be alive today.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
The woman recording the video admitted that there was marijuana in the car. If he was around illegal drugs and carrying a firearm, he certainly wasn't a "law abiding citizen" like the NRA refers to.

That being said, I think we all should wait for more facts to come out. The video only shows the aftermath of the shooting. It does not show what the officer asked the driver to do, nor does it show the driver's actions.

Just like the shooting in Ferguson, I think many will be surprised when the investigation finds more information.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:45 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In WV we no longer need to ask permission nor do we need to inform an officer we are carrying any longer. I initially had a problem with that aspect. I do no carry and I do not own a gun so it wasn't something I was too concerned over. I know the police forces weren't too thrilled over that part and I understood.

No longer. I have changed my mind. If he would have legally been able to keep quiet about his carry, he could have simply removed his I.D., handed it to the officer and told him to "have a nice day" and would still be alive today.
Yup, I get what you're saying. & if you carry, it's not a good idea to keep your ID/registration/insurance docs in the same place as your gun to avoid misunderstanding.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The woman recording the video admitted that there was marijuana in the car. If he was around illegal drugs and carrying a firearm, he certainly wasn't a "law abiding citizen" like the NRA refers to.

That being said, I think we all should wait for more facts to come out. The video only shows the aftermath of the shooting. It does not show what the officer asked the driver to do, nor does it show the driver's actions.

Just like the shooting in Ferguson, I think many will be surprised when the investigation finds more information.
He never should have been pulled over in the first place.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
When someone has a gun, do you typically question it if they have a license to carry? Or do only think white people have a license to carry?
Firstly he was answering a question that jumped to the conclusion that the NRA was not supporting his rights. He was offering an explanation for one of the reasons the NRA has not commented on it.

Secondly whites are more likely to have a license to carry or have a legal gun because of discriminatory liberal policies in the cities where blacks predominately live. The lowest rates of legal gun ownership are in black communities located in the inner cities in part because of government policies that make it very difficult and expensive to legally possess a gun.

For example in NYC there is $450 non refundable application fee for a pistol permit that can be denied for almost any reason. This is not a permit to carry it concealed , it's to own the gun. Only the rich and politically connected are able to obtain them.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
but in reality, the NRA is an organization set up ad hoc to defend and promote gun ownership for whites.
The only discriminatory policies are those pushed by the left that make it very difficult and expensive to own a gun in cities where blacks live. It's the NRA that is fighting those policies.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:18 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

The shooting in Ferguson, after the facts, was just as outraging as it was when the news first broke out. Brown did not pose a threat to officer Wilson. Castile did not pose a threat to the officer. Martin did not pose a threat to Zimmerman. It's obvious except to the hardcore right wingers full of prejudice. I kept writing at the time that supporting injustice would blowback in their face. Your support for the killers has triggered black activism and the result is BLM, and increased resentment from minorities and reasonable whites, the result of which will affect elections. America would maybe never have had a black president if the country did not have a history of systemic racism.

The more you keep put someone under your boot, the faster your own demise happens like what happened in Egypt when the israelites were oppressed by Pharaoh and his people. That's a universal law.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:23 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
From the article:

"The reports from Minnesota are troubling and must be thoroughly investigated. In the meantime, it is important for the NRA not to comment while the investigation is ongoing. Rest assured, the NRA will have more to say once all the facts are known."

Everything coming out of that case has been one sided. The media has whipped people into a frenzy over conjecture.
Was the cops voice on the video one sided?

Old 07-10-2016, 12:26 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
The NRA believes the 2nd Amendment applies to whites only. It is a racist organization. They have not publicly defended Castile's right to carry.
Looks like the management like wayne and others think that way but i doubt many good members don't think so.

A house built on a foundation of sand soon crumbles. So goeth the NRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies