Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

The gun grabbers can really try to stretch things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 12:00 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, you actually reasonably have to be at risk.
I'm sure this varies by state. Where I am you only have to be able to demonstrate that it was reasonable to feel like your life was in danger OR someone might do you bodily harm. We can kill to prevent bodily harm here.

This is a low threshold to meet. Someone rummaging in a pocket in the dark could meet it as could a kid pointing a realistic looking toy gun.

I'm not saying police should automatically kill in these situations. But it does explain how they " get away" with shootings.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm sure this varies by state. Where I am you only have to be able to demonstrate that it was reasonable to feel like your life was in danger OR someone might do you bodily harm. We can kill to prevent bodily harm here.
If they are fleeing you are not going to win your complaint.

Quote:
This is a low threshold to meet. Someone rummaging in a pocket in the dark could meet it as could a kid pointing a realistic looking toy gun.

I'm not saying police should automatically kill in these situations. But it does explain how they " get away" with shootings.
They get away with it Because they lie, cover for each other and in some instances plant evidence.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
There is some hypocrisy here. No doubt. From many sides.

The government is out of control. That's our bottom line problem.
That's what infuriating. There's a Venn diagram of left/right concerns, and LE abuse of power is right in the center, yet we can't get both sides to come together over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not THIS "Redneck": had that idiot in Dallas been "white": I'd still be happy when the fool got took out. Cliven Bundy: from what I've heard about him; my "give a damn" broke when he pissed off the locals.
I'm not mad if you want to defend Bundy bc of your beliefs in what he was protesting, but too many people who were defending his actions came out against Garner for doing roughly the same thing.

Quote:
I just want to make sure I understand the intent of this thread. OP, is your argument that the door-to-door confiscation of weapons is equivalent to a routine traffic stop in terms of violation of civil liberties?
If you can't figure out what "just comply" is referring to, then it's not worth my energy to try to get you up to speed. Most other people got the connection, so either your being disengenuous or you wouldn't understand the argument even if I broke it down for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I'm not a member of any "just comply" crowd, however I am curious;

What event or scenario are you referring to here?
Pretty much any case where people have tried to absolve or mitigate the wrongness of LE actions b/c someone didn't comply.

These are the same people claiming to be vigilant against oppressive, authoritarian tyranny. They claim it's their right to challenge abuses of power. They don't preface their defense of their right with, "but first, we're going to comply with the power we're challenging..."

The only time these staunch defenders of our individual right to confront tyranny retreat from this position is when they are defending LE use of force against someone else.

Freedom to confront tyranny for me, not for thee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Do you know something the rest of us don't EddieB.Good?
Yep. And when they come to your door, I expect you to comply like a good citizen. B/c anything less than that justifies what comes next, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I don't think many people disagree with that.
Lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I thought no one was coming for our guns.

Was that yet another lie?
No. They're definitely coming. And when they come to your door, I expect you to comply like a good citizen. B/c anything less than that justifies what comes next, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course liberal America does the exact opposite.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:40 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
There is some hypocrisy here. No doubt. From many sides.

The government is out of control. That's our bottom line problem.
This, unfortunately, is true.

We are witnessing, right here in our own little village (CD), the demise of any last shred of unity we may have had as common citizens of the same country. Politicians, organizers, progressives, globalists have fomented this unrest and division. They have pushed hatred and racism, class war, to fulfill their ends.

sucks to be us
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That's what infuriating. There's a Venn diagram of left/right concerns, and LE abuse of power is right in the center, yet we can't get both sides to come together over it.
I'm glad some of us in here understand this isn't an us vs them, r vs d, left vs right, thing.

These are systemic problems brought on by elitists, the political class, the establishment. This is a concerted global effort by these mongers. The people of the UK realized it, and showed them the door.

We'll see more nations following suit and running away from the insanity... while we continue running toward it.

Last edited by steven_h; 07-09-2016 at 11:49 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 11:45 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
That's a stupid question.

Again.
And yours is a stupid rebuttal. Your turn.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
And yours is a stupid rebuttal. Your turn.
I do tend to reply in kind.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
I just want to make sure I understand the intent of this thread. OP, is your argument that the door-to-door confiscation of weapons is equivalent to a routine traffic stop in terms of violation of civil liberties?
I'm curious about that myself.

Let's talk a bit about the black guy at the Dallas rally - the one who was lawfully carrying the long gun and who was, for a short time, considered a possible suspect in the shootings.

I do not know a single white person who feels that he was in the wrong or that he acted irresponsibly. Of course, I live in Texas where people tend to support the rights of law abiding citizens to own and carry guns.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
No, the argument is that just because a person doesn't comply isn't a reason to just shoot them.
It largely depends on each individual situation and the level of non compliance. I mean, there's a big difference between a person rolling their eyes when the police officer asks for their ID and insurance, and a person physically struggling with the police officer. And every possible scenario in between.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It largely depends on each individual situation and the level of non compliance. I mean, there's a big difference between a person rolling their eyes when the police officer asks for their ID and insurance, and a person physically struggling with the police officer. And every possible scenario in between.
So you agree with me but you have to state it in another manner to appear you aren't really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies