Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:30 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

I am so glad they used that machine to kill that guy...if not, he would have taken more with him and quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of housing and feeding people like Charlie Manson, for the rest of their days...if they get the death sentence it should be carried out...but there is always the chance of him claiming mentally incompetent, therefore, he gets to live while he's destroyed so many other families.

I don't believe people realize, unless it happens to them....for these cops and their families, these were horrendous life changing negative effects...for the rest of their lives....and it seems no one thinks about the suffering they've been made to endure.

Sure, use robots, when lives can be saved....if you've got a guy like this cornered, then go in and get him with these robots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am so glad they used that machine to kill that guy...if not, he would have taken more with him and quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of housing and feeding people like Charlie Manson, for the rest of their days...if they get the death sentence it should be carried out...but there is always the chance of him claiming mentally incompetent, therefore, he gets to live while he's destroyed so many other families.

I don't believe people realize, unless it happens to them....for these cops and their families, these were horrendous life changing negative effects...for the rest of their lives....and it seems no one thinks about the suffering they've been made to endure.

Sure, use robots, when lives can be saved....if you've got a guy like this cornered, then go in and get him with these robots.
A year or so ago there was a guy in Toronto. Not white, not black exactly. I am not sure what he was, but he held a number of people in a streetcar hostage. Police convinced him to let his hostages go and when he did they used something similar to this robot to take him out. Kill him, if that wasn't clear. Guy never killed anyone. This is why I and others have concern CB. Black and brown lives do not matter, and when the cops can just roll in a bomb and take out the guy holed up in the 7-11 and go home to dinner... they will. Wasting hours in negotiations with people at loose ends will become a lost art. And no one will care because you can bet your last dollar that they will not be doing that @$%! to anyone with less than 10% melanin. The very lack of public condemnation for this use of robotic technology in police operations is what will allow its proliferation. By the time people get concerned it will be too late to roll things back.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:56 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default The sniper ended badly, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
MSNBC Live guest Haley Edwards says the fitting of the robot to blow apart the scumbag in Dallas was mean.

As we get further away in time from the sniper attack, I don't see the point in characterizing the suspect this way. Clearly, he was not in his right mind - but he'd served for years in Army Reserve & served for a six months or so in Afghanistan, although he didn't do well there - & was sent home to detach him from the military. Whatever it was that happened to him (in Afghanistan? Before or since?) that made him brood on the police to the point that he set out to attack the Dallas police, he didn't start out as a killer (his MOS was carpentry & masonry).

I've looked around & don't find a description of the Bomb Disposal robot used, nor the composition of the IED the robot carried in. I assume that the Dallas Bomb Squad had breaching charges made up & ready to go, or maybe flashbangs that were bunched up - that information may never be made public. & maybe it's for the best - as a police department, you certainly don't want to give away any information that might be useful to the next shooter.

As far as who had tactical command of the sniper scene, I assume it was the watch commander on scene. Failing that, the SWAT commander would have gotten his orders from dispatch, presumably delegated or @ the order of the chief of police. The SWAT team needs to have their ROE laid out clearly beforehand - it takes time to get into position & get a clear shot - they don't have time nor attention to spare once on scene to be playing phone tag to get the order to shoot. (But again, it's not clear that the Bomb Disposal detachment was seconded to the SWAT commander. & Dallas PD may not want to discuss how their decision-making process works, even after the fact. Their prerogative, really. Although if their chain of command asks, they will need to answer.)

Old 07-14-2016, 04:34 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
As we get further away in time from the sniper attack, I don't see the point in characterizing the suspect this way. Clearly, he was not in his right mind - but he'd served for years in Army Reserve & served for a six months or so in Afghanistan, although he didn't do well there - & was sent home to detach him from the military. Whatever it was that happened to him (in Afghanistan? Before or since?) that made him brood on the police to the point that he set out to attack the Dallas police, he didn't start out as a killer (his MOS was carpentry & masonry).

I've looked around & don't find a description of the Bomb Disposal robot used, nor the composition of the IED the robot carried in. I assume that the Dallas Bomb Squad had breaching charges made up & ready to go, or maybe flashbangs that were bunched up - that information may never be made public. & maybe it's for the best - as a police department, you certainly don't want to give away any information that might be useful to the next shooter.

As far as who had tactical command of the sniper scene, I assume it was the watch commander on scene. Failing that, the SWAT commander would have gotten his orders from dispatch, presumably delegated or @ the order of the chief of police. The SWAT team needs to have their ROE laid out clearly beforehand - it takes time to get into position & get a clear shot - they don't have time nor attention to spare once on scene to be playing phone tag to get the order to shoot. (But again, it's not clear that the Bomb Disposal detachment was seconded to the SWAT commander. & Dallas PD may not want to discuss how their decision-making process works, even after the fact. Their prerogative, really. Although if their chain of command asks, they will need to answer.)
Neither flash bangs or breaching charges will kill someone unless you cram them down the guys throat or wrap them around someones neck. Mainly cops use special shotgun shells for doors and shaped charges for walls They are both regulated and pre constructed devices.
However is seems that they used C4 which is used to detonate bombs and is not considered a destructive device on its own. However they did seem to construct a destructive device which is not within their scope and highly illegal. There is no law enforcement exception for them.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:16 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So it is society's fault this happened? How about the fact we have innocent cops and others dead? Should the police just have walked up to him as he was shooting and said; "we understand, you feel mistreated, let's go to jail and we will get you some help?"

Tell your sobs story to the families who just lost their loved ones, who were putting their lives on the line for our safety...
No, he's actually got a point, I was thinking about this and all the shootings. To me, if you murder someone, you've got to be a menace to society...and this guy was...there are a whole lot of mentally ill people out there who need to be instituted...and we don't have a lot of institutions any longer with counseling and medications....years ago, cut backs closed them down and put them out into the streets.

and, also, he is right, about our men who have come back from wars...they need to be rehabilitated before throwing them back into society...it must be awfully difficult for them to re-assimilate.

Think about it....

Listen, here's an example....you never hear about the cop whose had to shoot someone and what they mentally go thru. Some can handle it, some cannot....there is no way to predict how anyone would be able to carry something like that around....we are all different and have different stress levels, so, it's the same with our men who go to war....they are conditioned to do what they do...just as our law enforcement is...and it's either their life or yours, but Physiologically , it doesn't make it any easier. We are all different...we all think and feel differently, stress levels, expectations, reactions, perceptions, etc....

you can take two people who witness the same identical crime but have two different stories and perceptions about the whole scene. Just sayin

I believe they did the right thing with the drone, this guy had obviously crossed over the line and probably was beyond help....and he took out a lot of lives, not to mention, changed a whole lot of lives forever....which is something some American's can't seem to grasp any longer. They don't realize the whole of their actions, and how it can effect others for the rest of their lives....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-15-2016 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies