Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 03:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
The term rifle is perfectly well understood by people. No reason to introduce yet another term in the vernacular.
I thought long gun was perfectly understood too. I guess not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 03:05 PM

391 posts, read 290,486 times
Quote:
The term rifle is perfectly well understood by people. No reason to introduce yet another term in the vernacular.
Point is if they did not know it was a rifle, then why would they say that? If they did not know if it were a shotgun or rifle, what do you say? You say long gun. Period...

Or do you call a shotgun a rifle as well?

Old 07-17-2016, 03:10 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Not sensitive at all. It is just the most ridiculous thing I've heard since assault weapons.
Ridiculous? People have been calling rifles and shotguns 'long guns' for decades, LONG before the media obsession with "assault weapons". It wasn't made up by the ignorant anti gun nuts, it's a very common phrase used by gun owners all the time.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:11 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
Point is if they did not know it was a rifle, then why would they say that? If they did not know if it were a shotgun or rifle, what do you say? You say long gun. Period...

Or do you call a shotgun a rifle as well?
Dude was dead with the weapon already recovered when I started watching about an hour ago. If the person who recovered the weapon can't distinguish between rifle and shotgun, they shouldn't be in LE.

What's next, big gun, scary gun? Those descriptors are relevant too.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Ridiculous? People have been calling rifles and shotguns 'long guns' for decades, LONG before the media obsession with "assault weapons". It wasn't made up by the ignorant anti gun nuts, it's a very common phrase used by gun owners all the time.
Maybe it's regional. I was an owner for 15 years and went to at least 100 gun shows with 8 years military. Never once heard the term 6 states I've lived in, nor seen it referenced in Guns and Ammo or The Rifleman.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:16 PM

391 posts, read 290,486 times
Quote:
Dude was dead with the weapon already recovered when I started watching about an hour ago. If the person who recovered the weapon can't distinguish between rifle and shotgun, they shouldn't be in LE.

What's next, big gun, scary gun? Those descriptors are relevant too.
You did not answer my question...do you call a shotgun a rifle?

I saw a video and the witness said he seen the police officer duck behind a vehicle with an AK-47.

In other words, there is a lot of information being pushed out in a short period of time. At least the writers are getting it right and not labeling every report of a "long gun" as an AK. Then you would complain about that.

Relax... long gun as a description is totally acceptable when the writer does not know what type of weapon it is (well, they know it is not a handgun, as someone else already pointed out).

You want to make your argument valid, but it is not. Sorry. I'll get out your thread... made my point, clearly.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I saw a video and the witness said he seen the police officer duck behind a vehicle with an AK-47.

In other words, there is a lot of information being pushed out in a short period of time. At least the writers are getting it right and not labeling every report of a "long gun" as an AK. Then you would complain about that.

Relax... long gun as a description is totally acceptable when the writer does not know what type of weapon it is (well, they know it is not a handgun, as someone else already pointed out).

You want to make your argument valid, but it is not. Sorry. I'll get out your thread... made my point, clearly.
No. I call my .308 a rifle and 12 gauge a shotgun.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:27 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Maybe it's regional. I was an owner for 15 years and went to at least 100 gun shows with 8 years military. Never once heard the term 6 states I've lived in, nor seen it referenced in Guns and Ammo or The Rifleman.
11 Great Pistol Caliber Carbines - Guns & Ammo
Is .223 the Best Home Defense Caliber? - Guns & Ammo

The NRA uses the term when explaining NY gun laws in non legal terms:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2014...transportation

American Rifleman uses the term very often
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%22long+gun%22

Maybe it's not regional, maybe it's you.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:35 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,427,309 times
Quote:

Long Guns: Discount Rifles, Shotguns, AR15s, & Gun Parts | Front Sight Firearms

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...sed+Long+Guns/

Long Guns For Sale Online

https://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/

Old 07-17-2016, 04:34 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
No s..t.

Just another round in the chamber for gun control advocates.
Just because this is the first time you've heard long gun used in a sentence does not mean the rest of the population has lived under a rock. It's not an uncommon term. The media sucks, but for other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies