Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:07 AM

903 posts, read 583,700 times

Advertisements

I don't believe it is the Police's job to prevent crime. Their job starts when the crimes already started. It is society's job to prevent crime. It should start with the parents and then the schools and then hopefully those making better decisions can actually have influence on their peers.

That is not to say that cops can't have a positive influence within a society. They certainly can initiate programs and conversations, but it should start with the parents.

cd :O)

Old 07-21-2016, 10:13 AM

11,792 posts, read 5,801,446 times
"I use to live on a block called 39th and South Benton. Almost zero crime happened on this block beside the odd fight sometimes. No one really ever got shot, murder was acttually pretty uncommon. But the next block over 38th and Chesnut was an extremely bad block. Very dangerous to walk through. The next 5-10 blocks were mostly pretty safe with very sparse crime in them. But they are labeled bad neighborhoods because of their proximity to one problem block which is 38th and Chesnut.

So this mean 1 out of 10 blocks in these "black communities" are actually dangerous. There are even situations where you're a good 20 blocks or 30 blocks from any crime hotspot. In some cases bad blocks are 1:10 on average or 1:30 ratios for blocks. "

Let's discuss this statement you made. One block was an extremely bad block - did the surrounding citizens work with police to get out these undesirables. Was a neighborhood watch started to see what was going on that made this block so bad. Was it gang turf, drug houses? If the surrounding areas were good - why would the people in his neighborhood want to tolerate this and not work with the police to make it better?

I'm not here to refute your statement but just trying to find out why it existed in the first place. I've had friends living in bad areas - but we're talking about entire neighborhoods not just a street. Some do work with the cops - while others are fearful - not of the cops - but retribution by these bad people if found out who squealed on them.

A lot of the problem is lack of fathers in these youths lives - because these kids now a days do not have any responsibility for their actions.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This isn't true, and you have no way of actually proving this. This is a completely arbitrary statement.
Population ratio
6:1

Murder ratio:
1:1

I just proved it.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:47 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,609 times
Quote:
Clearly you didn't read my initial post. And I made this post so people stop posting the same old derivative garbage. Time to change the discussion.
Derivatives aside for one minute. Though it must be said the conversation then becomes very difficult for those outside the "Black" culture to get involved. White people are affected in the form of the derivatives you seek not to discuss. As such that notion of "cleaning up your own backyard first, before you tell others to clean theirs" is very salient in fact as some of the dust is coming in our windows.

Most of us can never vouch for what goes on in the Black community. In fact there are quite a few White people who could care less, wanting in some cases, as little interaction with Black people as possible. Out of superiority or feeling better ?. NO. Just because they want to left alone and let others be along the way.

Let me clue in on something about White people. Take the KKK and other White Supremacists out of it. The overriding sentiment in general is this. We had the history of slavery and have done our best to right those wrongs. Incredible progress has been made since then. We have evolved since that aforementioned time and can not constantly be held responsible for something we had no hand in. It is what it is. We now share the same boat of living together. What truly impresses White people is to see Black people rise through the ranks and make it to the top in this nation. Sports, politics, law etc. you name it. More luck to you my fellow American. That would be said about anybody regardless of race or origin.

What we can never understand is why , and very clear qst here, why is there so much violence among Blacks in their own community. We are empathizing as human beings on this point. Why can some Blacks make it to the very top , while others are left in a state of perpetual embitterment , not only attacking their own but letting that carry over to the outside community in general. As we can glean from stats on the matter, it does seem to happen quite a lot. Could there be better dialog in the Black community. Could there be better mentorship of young males there, could there a collective effort to celebrate those who made it in simple terms. Not focusing on Lebron and the megastars. But the simple hardworking people who made something of their lives in simple terms. The unheralded heroes and heroines we all hear little about. These are the ones , whether Black or White or Brown that make up this land. Doing so without any fame or notoriety. A simple life done well.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:59 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
when blacks stop embracing welfare as a solution for poverty, they will be amazed at the results..

Old 07-21-2016, 11:07 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
I thought about that as I wrote it. And there are some key things about the 80s that is very different from thte world we live in today. For one, many gang leaders were involved in the stop the violence movements. One of the first known rappers Africa Bambada was actually the leader of a gang. Many gangs in the NYC area got together and would compete in rap battles, dance contest, DJingg contest, etc. To the point where gang violence was almost non-existent in NYC.

This doesn't mean drug violence wasn't a bigger issue, but most of the gang alliances died in NY in the 80s and 90s. In the 2000s NYC started emulating gangs from the West Coast, which is totally different than the gang issues in 80s in NYC.

As to why I don't think many black people could stop crime these days? Well many black people aren't living in ghettos or "hoods" anymore. The black middle and upper class has made a lot of headway since the mid 90s. The truth is that in the 80s MOST black people lived in the ghetto. Today this is less so the case. So most black people now days are even more apathetic concerning black on black crime, because frankly it's considered an issue for poor blacks.

I moved from the "hood" in 1992. If it weren't for me being politically concious, I probably wouldn't care that much about the hood culture. I live in a upper middle class area of the city where everyone makes about 80k to 150k salaries on average. Believe it or not, more black people are entering this situation than ones who are not.

My "interest" in the poor black community isn't really political or racial. I have a theory that I would like to test out.

Thanks for clarifying.

Here is how I think people in high crime areas can try and help reduce crime.

There is a higher rate of black women who have children out of wedlock by multiple fathers than other races. That can automatically put them in a state of poverty and means they're either on welfare, or working without any assistance raising their kids.

In the old days, based on the accounts of black people I know who grew up in poverty in Chicago- there were fathers present who kept close tabs on their sons. And other kids sons. If a parent saw a kid doing something they knew was wrong, they'd grab them by the collar and threaten their behinds.

Basing it strictly on what I read and hear from parents in the media, they have a habit of blaming the police or blaming the school for not doing more. They need to do more as parents, in my opinion, and stop putting the onus on others to raise their kids for them. They need to be tougher about keeping track of who their kids hang out with, what they're doing, etc.

I get that poverty can lead to a life of crime because of the lack of opportunity, but discipline starts in the home, doesn't it? If a kid lacks that foundation of accountability and discipline they'll fail in school and not have many options.

People cannot just prevent crime; crime is an effect and you have to stop the cause. By eliminating the causes they do have control over, I think communities can really turn things around.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thanks for clarifying.

Here is how I think people in high crime areas can try and help reduce crime.

There is a higher rate of black women who have children out of wedlock by multiple fathers than other races. That can automatically put them in a state of poverty and means they're either on welfare, or working without any assistance raising their kids.
Black legitimacy rates were very high throughout much of American history. But then it seemed to dropped off in the late 60s. The reason for this is was the introduction of the welfare state. Black women were encouraged, and incentivized to not have fathers in the home. Oftentimes they were penalized if a man was caught living in the house. So this was the dawn of the bastard baby era, all funded fully by the US government. The evidence for this is really quite compelling, that it's worth some research.

With the loss of manufacturing jobs, and a ton of drugs dumped into the communities (many people link crack to the CIA), then you create a volatile situation. What people don't want to admit that black people were sabotaged by the government itself. And there is a lot of evidence to back this up.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post

What we can never understand is why , and very clear qst here, why is there so much violence among Blacks in their own community. We are empathizing as human beings on this point. Why can some Blacks make it to the very top , while others are left in a state of perpetual embitterment , not only attacking their own but letting that carry over to the outside community in general. As we can glean from stats on the matter, it does seem to happen quite a lot. Could there be better dialog in the Black community. Could there be better mentorship of young males there, could there a collective effort to celebrate those who made it in simple terms. Not focusing on Lebron and the megastars. But the simple hardworking people who made something of their lives in simple terms. The unheralded heroes and heroines we all hear little about. These are the ones , whether Black or White or Brown that make up this land. Doing so without any fame or notoriety. A simple life done well.
Robert F. Smith is the richest black man in America. Virtually unknown among the mainstream media, almost never covered, and received very little press. I don't THINK he doesn't want to be in the press. In the times he is actually interviewed, he seems to be quite vocal about black people in business, and owning capital. Yet he's almost never called up to do interviews by any real news source? Why is it that the mainstream media doesn't seem to be all that concerned with people like Robert F. Smith?

But we can keep going. David Sterling, founder of the largest black Technology firm. Worth several billion dollars, and built from the ground up. Anyone even know who David Sterling is? Only time you could find a speech from him is on youtube.

Ken Chenault (sp?). CEO of American Express. Virtually unknown and unmentioned by mainstream media.

I can go on.

Seems like you should asking questions about the lack of real coverage of successful black people by the media.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
1. How EXACTLY do you fight black on black crime?

In places like NYC, DC and Chicago, DROP THE GUN BAN. The criminals all have weapons and can care less what the law says about guns and many law abiding citizens have no way to defend themselves, so criminals know they can pull of burglarizes or robberies and know the person might not have a way to defend themself.

As for gang violence, only a extreme amount of police presence and serve penalties can calm that down.

I know there need to be more jobs available in those communities, but at the same time, a business owner should not or will not risk their life to open up a business only to be shot or one of their employees shot and killed during a armed robbery.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Population ratio
6:1

Murder ratio:
1:1

I just proved it.
This is only valid among poor blacks, not blacks as whole. So you have proved nothing. And then tried to use lazy math to justify your inane statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies