Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:12 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
This is one of the things that really bugs me about Trump (and I don't actually think he's a terrible person).

This whole "make American great again" slogan really bothers me.

This is already a great country! In fact, many politicians (including many Republicans) often refer to it as "the greatest country in the world." When did we stop being great? Let me guess, 2008?

It just seems to me that Trump is playing to the lowest common denominator with that slogan.
Has it been great for you? I have good honest hard working family who are middle class but are falling behind. I understand Trumps point, he employs people and see's their struggles and truly wants to do thing that will help.

So Hillary supporters fall on insulting these very hard working people and think you're going to swing them to vote for Hillary? Really? Who's the lowest common denominator?

And one more thing. How can you consider a women capable to run the country if she can't even win without having the DNC help her get the nomination?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I grew up in a country where terrorism wasn't anything that even crossed my mind. Yep

Police weren't killed for no reason. Yep
If police had to make a decision to kill a criminal, they were supported - not vilified.Yep
I grew up in a country where it was embarrassing to need help from the government Yep
and people had enough pride that they refused help unless there was no other choice, Yep
Right was right and wrong was wrong. Yep
It seems like a lot of people are calling what is right "wrong" and what is wrong "right" -Yep
and I keep seeing that in the DNC. Has everyone gone crazy?
Liberal land, I've never seen anything as bizarre as this in my life and OP is pumping more of it?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Leon Pannetta for President!!!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:08 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
The USA has never ceased being GREAT!

Why do I state that? There are a gamut of reasons which I could point to in order to validate this claim. Please allow me to indulge in a bit of gratitude.

First, I was born outside of Mainland USA. When my parents moved to the Mainland, for work related reasons, we lived in what was then, a "less than stellar" community within NYC's Bronx borough. Life was such that, at 12 years of age, I remember thinking to myself, "I never want to raise my children in a place like this."

That undesirable experience prompted me to join Our Military, serve with Honor, learn a skill, obtain a well paying job, become a productive Citizen, vote in almost every election, buy a house in a wonderful West Coast state, and yes . . . raise my [now college educated] children far from the Bronx.

I am forever thankful to The USA, the GREATEST Nation on Planet Earth, in so far as I'm concerned.
Pardon me. It slipped by me to state, "USA, I am eternally indebted to you, and I will eternally Love you."

Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I have a great job making a six figure salary living in a great city (NYC) with an amazing women who also makes a great salary. We are well educated and have great families who love us and support everything we do.

If you work hard, you will also have a great life. I'm sorry that some of you make poor life decisions, but that is all on you. No, Trump will not help you. Sorry.
I am assuming great life means financially well off?

Fact is not everyone can have a six figure salary, no matter how smart and hard they work. There are only so many six figure salaries available, and someone has to cook the food, take the trash, work on the car, sweep the floor, etc.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am assuming great life means financially well off?

Fact is not everyone can have a six figure salary, no matter how smart and hard they work. There are only so many six figure salaries available, and someone has to cook the food, take the trash, work on the car, sweep the floor, etc.
Exactly, and people are really fed up. here is something I'll bet most don't think about....

Politicians need you more than you need them. Otherwise they wouldn't "waste their time".

They don't like needing the people and they'd like to change that. Who do you think has more of a chance to do that? Someone who the media lets them get away with everything or someone who the media will hold them accountable. Think about that.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:44 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
To your second point, true again. When people are desperate they'll believe a lot of things they would normally stop and think about. The rich know that no one will save, they learn and do it themselves. The poor believe politicians who imply they will legislate their prosperity. Any politician who promises to legislate prosperity without effort is feeding off desperation and weakness.
I agree and the vast majority of rich people earned it. But you have to concede there are people that didn't earn it. Paul Ryan, so far as I can tell, has never had a job outside of government. Yet he lives in a walled mansion with 24 hour security. There are people in business whose success came from using government as a weapon against competitors. That's not earning it.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Most of Europe and East Asia is doing a lot better then us, as well as our Canadian neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
A-M-E-N!
That's not remotely true. It's amazing people can believe such BS.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I've been reading posts on this site since 2009 and cannot even begin to count the extraordinary number of threads and posts lamenting how the US is a bad country, filled with racist, war mongering, bible thumping, gun humping, knuckle dragging neanderthals, and why can't we be more like Europe?

And now suddenly liberals are scratching their heads and saying that America is already great, so what's with the Trump slogan..

I'll just let those sentences sit there. Take from them what you will.
It's backwards. It's Republicans now playing the victim the card, saying how everything is so bad, and saying how the system is rigged.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
All of the things you are talking about were problems well before 2008.

We have been talking about welfare reform for 40+ years.

Terrorism? 241 Marines were killed in 1983 when Reagan was president and the barracks in Lebanon were bombed, with no retaliation. The attacks on 9/11 killed 3,000 Americans and that happened during George W. Bush's presidency.

Statistically, more police officers were killed in the 60's and 70's than will be killed in this decade.

This all existed before Obama, but you are more aware of it now due to media and social media.

Oh, and you didn't answer the question that is at the heart of the thread: do you not think America is currently "great?" That is a yes-or-no question.
Pretty much this. This is how Trump gets 'em, he finds folks who will believe what they want to hear and are either far too lazy or ignorant to take less than 1 minute to fact check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies