Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
If I were the supervisor there, I would probably write up the guy who made the frivolous complaint. I have no patience for divisive, whining troublemakers.
I don't remember if it stated what happened in the article, but I think I remember reading he had made previous complaints to the supervisor, and then to the EEOC. Sounds like his supervisor told him not to pursue it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:53 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,510,561 times
Civil War, no one will ever agree on what it was really all about. We werent there, and the life, morals, people were much different than today. You can say what you want about what it was that started it. But the historians to this day keep arguing about it.
No matter what, it was a tragedy for all, as too many people died because of it.. Let it be a history lesson, and dont repeat it.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:59 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Default United citizens are a threat to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Exactly. Slavery would have ended in the South for economic reasons when slavery become a net economic drain with the mechanization of cotton.

All of the political division we have now goes back to Lincoln foolishly trying to retain the Union. Look at a map and the political geography is pretty similar today as it was in the 1860s. The country never truly reunified - rather it has been held together by gunpoint. Northerners still think Southerners are unintelligent and Southerners still hate Yankees.
And yet my yankee daddy, married (in 1944) a southern woman ...

Politics keeps the slavery issue alive, when most people have laid it to rest, you know that right?

Black Confederates | Harvard Gazette

Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Thanks for the link. I couldn't really read the Ebony article as it wouldn't enlarge on my phone. But I'm not sure what you're saying in relation to my post. Are you saying because many black Americans fought for the Confederacy that they supported the war? Many of them probably did, being part of the "family" and that life was all they knew. The families trying to locate their ancestors who fought aren't wishing they had actually won the war and slavery hadn't been abolished naturally a generation later.

Or am I completely misinterpreting your point? I have been known to do that.
The value of the article, "The Negro In the Civil War", published in Ebony in 1963, is the outline in the timeline, (Union vs. Confederacy) in what happened; when it happened. (again, I only skimmed it)

Quote:
The families trying to locate their ancestors who fought aren't wishing they had actually won the war and slavery hadn't been abolished naturally a generation later.
I know the heart of a Protestant in relation to, 'family' and in relation to God in that their desire to, not be told what to do and when to do it, by a Catholic Priest. God spoke to their conscience, stirred their hearts if you will and they knew, their version of right and wrong was different from what those in authority (government) over them would have them believe.

The web site I linked to is acting as a portal of information for me. I do not know if it's doing what it is designed to do in connecting this generation to their ancestors.

I was on there yesterday did copy past google research that landed me at the Library of Congress and the Slave Narrative (1936-1938) Federal Writers' Project.

What I'm saying is (so as to cut this short) the black Americans who fought for the Confederacy, did they support the war and why? And what better way to find the answers but through what they had to say about it, through diaries, journals and letters, they wrote during that era.

I want to hear what the horse has to say, not its mouth piece. Listening to people argue one side or the other, does nothing for me, other than give to me a head ache.

btw: the western civilizations were the first to end slavery, but the last to cease its controversy. do you not find that odd, because i do ...

Old 08-12-2016, 01:02 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
How many people, north and south, would not have died if Lincoln had withdrawn the troops from Ft Sumpter, which was where the Civil War started?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies