Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 09:17 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

They are unconstitutional and assume you are guilty until you prove you are innocent. These young boys did the right thing.
--------------
If Ever there is an Award Given Out for Flexing Your Rights, We Nominate this Guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
These are illegal where I live, but I have no problem with them. Your license is issued by the state and you are driving on public roads. You have to follow certain laws. Police ensure you are doing so. Don't like it? -- Dont drive!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They are unconstitutional and assume you are guilty until you prove you are innocent. These young boys did the right thing.
--------------
If Ever there is an Award Given Out for Flexing Your Rights, We Nominate this Guy
Wrong .. the Supremes have held them constitutional.

Excerpts From Supreme Court's Decision Upholding Sobriety Checkpoints - NYTimes.com

On top of that we have to conduct them in a random manner .. they have to be posted and allow a driver the choice not to enter the checkpoint. We stage a rover car just for this purpose...a policeman following you and observing signs of dui is just fine...

So..enter or don't..

All constitutional

Please don't listen to internet lawyer advice..it's generally wrong. Anything from free thought project is suspect upon its face

This is the difference between reality and some bogus agenda

Old 08-26-2016, 11:18 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
These are illegal where I live, but I have no problem with them. Your license is issued by the state and you are driving on public roads. You have to follow certain laws. Police ensure you are doing so. Don't like it? -- Dont drive!
but the public is being forced to pay taxes to keep the roads in working order, so people are paying for these roads and you're telling them to stay off them?

why is it too much to ask to just be left alone if you're not breaking the law? you want to live in a police state?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:26 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
but the public is being forced to pay taxes to keep the roads in working order, so people are paying for these roads and you're telling them to stay off them?

why is it too much to ask to just be left alone if you're not breaking the law? you want to live in a police state?
The roads you pay taxes on isn't necessary for you. They are for use of the general public, police, fire, ambulance, post office (original justification for government funded roads), delivery services, etc. Now, if you want to take part in their use, you have to follow certain laws, including being sober.

I would rather live in a police state than an anarchy state. I have a right to drive on roads that are not being used by drunk drivers. The only way to insure that is with police enforcement.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
The roads you pay taxes on isn't necessary for you. They are for use of the general public, police, fire, ambulance, post office (original justification for government funded roads), delivery services, etc. Now, if you want to take part in their use, you have to follow certain laws, including being sober.

I would rather live in a police state than an anarchy state. I have a right to drive on roads that are not being used by drunk drivers. The only way to insure that is with police enforcement.
if you don't want to drive on roads being used by drunk drivers, maybe you should stay off the roads too. i could say the same thing that i have a right to drive on roads without being forced to 'pull over' while not doing anything wrong.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
if you don't want to drive on roads being used by drunk drivers, maybe you should stay off the roads too. i could say the same thing that i have a right to drive on roads without being forced to 'pull over' while not doing anything wrong.
You're pulled over before you get into a plane and checked, even though you haven't done anything wrong... same with most stadiums for ball games. Same if you enter certain federal buildings.

I don't have much problem with sobriety checkpoints, but I question their effectiveness. I would rather we just have non-intrusive breathalyzer technology all built into our cars and it wouldn't start if you're inebriated. Not likely to ever happen, but that would be pretty awesome assuming it worked accurately. Think of the lives saved on that one.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:11 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
People who are against the check points need to talk to family members of people who have died as a result of a drunk driver. Because if it were not for check points you'd see a lot more fatal DUI's.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:42 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Wrong .. the Supremes have held them constitutional.

Excerpts From Supreme Court's Decision Upholding Sobriety Checkpoints - NYTimes.com

On top of that we have to conduct them in a random manner .. they have to be posted and allow a driver the choice not to enter the checkpoint. We stage a rover car just for this purpose...a policeman following you and observing signs of dui is just fine...

So..enter or don't..

All constitutional

Please don't listen to internet lawyer advice..it's generally wrong. Anything from free thought project is suspect upon its face

This is the difference between reality and some bogus agenda
You really have to stop thinking everything in America is like the tiny corner of the country that you live in.

DUI checkpoints where I live are not posted, stop everyone that goes through them, and have barricades set up on side streets with a cop (sometimes with a k9 on a leash) manning them leading up to the checkpoint so you can't avoid it.

May not be the norm, but that's what happens here.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:51 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
So you believe in "guilty until proven innocent?"

This isn't about following laws. It's about having to prove you are innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies