Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see those wanting diversity for the sake of diversity as:
Trying to see past race and ethnicity 10 9.71%
Being PC and it's more about looking tolerant 56 54.37%
Oh, give me a break and a beer 37 35.92%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:13 PM

1,202 posts, read 642,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpistan View Post
I want to live in a diverse area because that's how I grew up. I don't want my kids growing up with a bunch of white flight racists.

Some people will never get it. Its wacist! to want better schools,better chances for survival,home prices that don't plummet,etc etc. These are the kind of people that would sacrifice their lives and families live just to show that they aren't wacist! Its called white guilt syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 02:14 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. It just means you live in a diverse neighborhood.
Very true.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Hey, if you are fine with being racist, there is nothing more to say.
Racist used to mean someone that hated black people,now its someone who refuses to hate white people.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. It just means you live in a diverse neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Very true.
Not true.

There are plenty of people who wouldnt live near black, red, yellow, and brown people just because they are black, red, yellow and brown.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Depends what your motivations are. Do you want a diverse neighborhood because you enjoy sampling different foods and cultures? If so, more power to you.
In terms of food, I'd argue the more diverse the neighborhood the less likely to have truly diverse food.

The best authentic Chinese food will be in areas mostly populated by Chinese people. It's not going to be the neighborhoods where there is a 8% Chinese population. The Chinese restaurants in the diverse areas are going to be the non-authentic Americanized versions. This will hold true with any ethnic food. To get the authentic stuff, you need to go to those areas heavily populated by that ethnicity - less diverse.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you think the posts asking for diversity are looking for a good combination of German, English, Polish and Russian backgrounds? Lol. They are clearly asking along racial and ethnic lines.

Of course people are different in terms of likes, dislikes, economic class, education, etc. if you want a neighborhood with rich and poor people, ask for that.
Of course I know they are speaking of race. But celebrating diversity is a celebration of being "different."

Only thing I took issue with is the fact that your post of which I responded to stated that we should focus on us all "being the same."

We are not all the same. We are different. Wanting to live in a diverse neighborhood means you want to live around all sorts of people who are different.

However, in regards to German, English, Polish, Russian, etc. I think that if those ethnic groups still heavily spoke their native languages in their native accents that other white people would also include them in the "diverse" category. I personally do see them as diverse. I live in the Midwest and we have a large German and Polish American population. People here are very much connected to their ethnic heritage and we still have old neighborhoods that retain their ethnic roots as much as possible and I think that that is a great thing. It makes our community more interesting due to the diversity of cultures that shaped our city.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
In my area, you'd have to seek out a non-diverse neighborhood, as diverse is the default. When i look down my street, there's a bunch of blacks and hispanics, a white or Hispanic lady that is a baby factory, Nigerians, my east Asian next door neighbor, my Pakistani other next door neighbor and the Indian guy that waters his lawn in his skirt.

Even if I wanted to, I don't think it would be possible for me to find a nearby all-white neighborhood.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Racist used to mean someone that hated black people,now its someone who refuses to hate white people.
Pretty sure racism includes all races, not just black people.

Anyways.

You argued that you wouldnt live near people of color because you perceive them to be dangerous, regardless of reality. That is racism.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Anyways.

You argued that you wouldnt live near people of color because you perceive them to be dangerous, regardless of reality. That is racism.
There is no need to PERCEIVE it when I LIVE IT every day. I dealt with the horrible schools,I deal with the idiot unlicensed drivers everyday,I deal with the crime every day maybe not DIRECTLY but it affects the city I live in. It makes you wonder if you are next....even once nice areas for some reason are becoming crime ridden and crime statistics back me up.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:

Anyways.

Adding to that, statistically speaking, a white person is most likely to be killed by another white person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies