Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see those wanting diversity for the sake of diversity as:
Trying to see past race and ethnicity 10 9.71%
Being PC and it's more about looking tolerant 56 54.37%
Oh, give me a break and a beer 37 35.92%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 01:12 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

So, in our local city thread, we just had another person say they are looking for a diverse neighborhood. I've read, I'm not sure how many of them over the years, and I find it strange.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about when people are asking for a "diverse neighborhood" and not asking about a specific race, ethnicity or nationality.

If you are from Japan, and you want a neighborhood where there are other Japanese people, because you want that connection with other people who know what you are talking about when discussing Japan or plan to have your children continue speaking some Japanese which would be easier with other Japanese families as neighbors, that's fine.

I can understand any race, ethnicity or nationality wanting that, but it's the diversity for the sake of diversity that makes me question motives. Additionally, it almost always seems to be white people. I see people from India moving and asking where other Indians live. I have seen people from Venezuela asking where there might be neighborhoods with people from Venezuela or other South American countries. I've seen black people asking about neighborhoods where middle class blacks live. But it seems that the only people asking for this generic "diverse neighborhoods" tend to be white people.

I can practically see their subconscious say, "Well, since I don't socialize with anyone but white people, maybe if I live in a diverse neighborhood I can tell Javier that I have a Hispanic neighbor and a black neighbor when we do our business lunch every six weeks."

In most decent sized cities, it's fairly easy to be exposed to different cultures and even make friends with people with other backgrounds than you with very little effort. Taking your wife to a Salsa class, volunteering at a shelter, mentoring a parolee, going regularly to a jazz club, being involved in a hobby, etc, etc are all ways to meet and befriend all sorts of people. However, I suppose it's much easier to move into that "diverse" neighborhood and occasionally wave to the Asian man at the end of the street and say good morning as you walk past him.

There are also plenty of opportunities to meet a variety of people through work for a majority of the population.

I select a neighborhood based upon things like proximity to work and leisure activities that I like. My only preference for a neighbor is that they are pleasant to be around and a good neighbor. As long as they meet those prerequisites, I don't care what their race or ethnicity is.

People are people. The only reason to seek out a different race or ethnicity than yourself for no other reason than them being different means that you view them as different.

Well, that's my vent for the day.

Let's discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 01:18 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
I don't think that "seeking a diverse neighborhood" is trying to be PC. It's saying that they would value being in an integrated neighborhood over a segregated one (whether it's almost all white, all black, all Hispanic, etc.) Of course, when choosing where to live, there should be other factors, but I don't think that not necessarily wanting to living in an almost all-your-race or ethnicity neighborhood is a bad thing.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:20 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
I voted for PC, but im not sure that is the right term.

PC to me is like a Photo op that doesnt actually get anything done. you are supposed to do it even if the result doesnt change anything

Diversity, even if it is forced or intentionally searched for, actually has a tangible goal. Reshaping of societal thought, cultural understanding and so on.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:22 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Diversity doesn't have to mean racial diversity. They could be talking about the availability of restaurants, shopping, and other amenities.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:23 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Taking your wife to a Salsa class... going regularly to a jazz club...
Living in a diverse neighborhood shows you embrace diversity. However, the Salsa and jazz ideas I quoted above are striking examples of Cultural Appropriation.

What's next, cornrows and sushi?

/s

Last edited by Nepenthe; 08-31-2016 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: added /s for sarcasm

Old 08-31-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Diversity doesn't have to mean racial diversity. They could be talking about the availability of restaurants, shopping, and other amenities.
The context I usually see it in is in terms of the people.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Yep, it is crap. I live in a diverse neighborhood because the house and neighborhood were the best combination that was in my price range.

Ended up with my filipina wife because she was the cutest thing that would have anything to do with me.

In neither of these decisions was diversity a factor.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Living in a diverse neighborhood shows you embrace diversity.
What does that mean other than "I need to be around people DIFFERENT than myself"?

Isn't the goal to see everyone as people and not in terms of race or ethnicity?

Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The context I usually see it in is in terms of the people.
But how can you actually know who lives in the neighborhood before hand ???

Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, it is crap. I live in a diverse neighborhood because the house and neighborhood were the best combination that was in my price range.

Ended up with my filipina wife because she was the cutest thing that would have anything to do with me.

In neither of these decisions was diversity a factor.
I think that is a great illustration of how it will naturally work out when people stop looking at each other as different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies