Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:03 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Actually December 25 is not a school holiday per the calendar. The winter break starts on Dec 26 and goes through January 2. Maybe Christmas is on a weekend this year.

Also why are the religious names on the calendar for the Jewish and Muslim holidays and not for the Christian holidays? Why not list Good Friday or Easter Monday? I have no issue with all of them being included, but to purposefully exclude one makes me wonder why.
Christmas is on Sunday. That's also the reason New Year's Day isn't listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:00 AM

27,654 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Christians get a week at Easter, a week at Christmas, and Thanksgiving*. What other Christian holidays would you like?

*(I'm not going to sidetrack or quibble if Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday - doesn't bother me how you label it.)
Please tell us which religious holidays are listed then see if you get the point

Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Christians get a week at Easter, a week at Christmas, and Thanksgiving*. What other Christian holidays would you like?

*(I'm not going to sidetrack or quibble if Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday - doesn't bother me how you label it.)
"Christians get a week at Easter, a week at Christmas, and Thanksgiving"

Are you claiming that ONLY Christians get these days off from school?

Funny , I see NO MENTION of "Christmas", Thanksgiving is NO LONGER considered a "Christian" holiday, or Easter.

Do YOU?

"December December 26-30 Winter recess: schools closed

January 2017
January 2 Winter recess cont'd. January 3 School resumes

April
April 10-18 Spring recess: schools closed

Last edited by Quick Enough; 09-05-2016 at 11:20 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 11:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
On the 2015-16 calendar, Christmas is included in winter holidays so I'm sure it's never on the calendar as a seperate day regardless of how the calendar falls. Good Friday was listed last year so not sure why it's absent from the current calendar unless it falls on the week of spring break.

I think they should just say "Off School" for all religious days so as not to offend anyone or to highlight any religion as more important than another.

According to the schedule... School is in session Dec. 25th and they are off for the 26th- jan 3rd.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Christmas is on Sunday. That's also the reason New Year's Day isn't listed.

The Christmas and new years holidays here, start on Dec. 22nd for the kids.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
According to the schedule... School is in session Dec. 25th and they are off for the 26th- jan 3rd.
Christmas is on Sunday, so it would not be listed because school is already closed. It has always been done this way when I went to NYC public schools in the 90's and 2000's.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Christmas and new years holidays here, start on Dec. 22nd for the kids.
In NYC, Christmas Eve is usually the first day off. 12/23 has always been a school day, unless it's on a weekend or a Monday (they won't open schools on a Monday and have it closed the rest of the week).

Old 09-05-2016, 11:29 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Right, so a sample size of one (in any intellectual circle, this would be immediately dismissed at this point anyway) is being used to say that Christians are oppressed.

But you didn't put any thought into this. Did you notice that no holiday on a weekend was listed? I mean, their winter break doesn't start until Dec. 26th, when the two days prior would also be part of that break, technically. They aren't listed because it's on a weekend. Father's day falls on a Sunday; not listed. Mother's day is in the same boat. Halloween; also not listed. Day light savings time; not listed.

The school calendar doesn't have anything listed for days when there isn't school. The ONLY exception to that is on breaks, in which they just inform you that there is a break through that period of time.

You know what else isn't listed? Independence Day. Is it because they hate America or because there's no school in July?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Jews and Muslims get theirs. Christian? Whats that?
Parent culture of America is being snuffed out.
Holidays and Key Dates - Calendar - New York City Department of Education
NYC schools have 3 multi day holidays, Winter Break, Mid Winter Break ( encompasses the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln) and Spring Break.

NY State declares Christmas Day a holiday.

Christmas Day is a Federal holiday.

The Federal Reserve Bank cites Christmas Day as a holiday.

The NYSE declares Christmas Day and Good Friday as holidays.

Do you detect the pattern?

Old 09-05-2016, 12:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
The Puitans forbade Christmas celebrations in the New World based on their belief that partying and merrymaking were unChristianlike activities.

During the Protestant Reform- through most of the 1800's Christmas was not celebrated in the US , independent of non- assimilating European Catholic immigrants.

Christmas became a Federal Holiday in 1870.

Several Christian denominations do not celebrate Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies