Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times

Advertisements

America's long established heritage and tradition should be respected. If we have to hide our traditional holidays and add new ones then we are not, and there is no assimilation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Between all my preparations for Diwali, Yom Kippur, Ramadan, and Leif Ericsson day, I plum forgot about Christmas last year. Without it marked on the school calendar there is nothing to remind us.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:02 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Jews and Muslims get theirs. Christian? Whats that?
Parent culture of America is being snuffed out.
Holidays and Key Dates - Calendar - New York City Department of Education
How many Christmas days and Easters have your children gone to school?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:20 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny
Its still in the 90's outside and people are already whining about the phony "War on Xmas"?
Well ya gotta admit: christmas has become nothing but a SPAM EVENT now!!!!

Buy this,buy that,etc........... ITS NOT ABOUT LOVE AND FAMILY ANYMORE......... Its about how rich stores can get!!

People are sick of it.... NO OTHER HOLIDAY DOES THIS!!

And with the garbage LCD,LED lights & decorations out now,christmas doesnt mean anything to me!! (Its ugly to look at,etc)

Not the beautiful holiday I remember in the 90s and earlier

Old 09-06-2016, 03:15 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
We know you don't.

Which is the root of most of the problems in America.
As a non-religious person, why would I have a preference as to what a religious holiday is called? I will call it whatever everybody else calls it. The important thing to me is that everybody understands each other. Why is that a problem?

Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 AM

59,093 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
For those who think they're trying to remove the word "Christmas" , here's the NYC Department of Education schedule, which shows 12/26 as the day they get off for Christmas since it's on a Sunday. http://schools.nyc.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...alCalendar.pdf

I dont really care if they call it winter break or Christmas bteak, but I can see winter break being more accurate since it encompasses more than just Christmas. The terminology also matches mid-winter break, spring break and summer break.
"I dont really care if they call it winter break or Christmas bteak,"

But, MILLIONS of us DO care.

Again here we have the double standard.

A few complain about the rebel flag being flown and it is banned.

A few complain about using the "N" word and it is banned.

A few complain about any religious symbol being displayed on public property and they are banned.

BUT, MILLIONS complain about Christ being taken out of Christmas and the FEW are granted their wishes.

etc., etc., etc.

Why is it that when a few complain they get their way but, when MILLIONS complain, their voices are NOT heard?

Old 09-06-2016, 04:44 AM

59,093 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
A week at Thanksgiving? Where?

Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday, because it represents the feast and giving of thanks to God for the plentiful harvest (the first "thanksgiving") and that is a matter of historical record.
"Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday"

Your LACK of knowledge on Christianity is showing.

The Pilgrims were thanking GOD not Christ.

Maybe because you are NOT a Christian, you don't know the difference.

George Washington's proclamation making Thanksgiving a National Holiday.

"Thanksgiving Proclamation

[New York, 3 October 1789]
Page Image.
By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.
Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.
Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.
and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789. Go: Washington"

Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Thanksgiving is a Christian holiday"

Your LACK of knowledge on Christianity is showing.

The Pilgrims were thanking GOD not Christ.

Maybe because you are NOT a Christian, you don't know the difference.

George Washington's proclamation making Thanksgiving a National Holiday.

"Thanksgiving Proclamation

[New York, 3 October 1789]
Page Image.
By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.
Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor-- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.
Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be-- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks--for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation--for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war--for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed--for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted--for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.
and also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions-- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually--to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed--to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us)and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord--To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us--and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789. Go: Washington"

It wasn't a national holiday until 1863.
Under Washington it was a one time only proclamation.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:59 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I dont really care if they call it winter break or Christmas bteak,"

But, MILLIONS of us DO care.

Again here we have the double standard.

A few complain about the rebel flag being flown and it is banned.

A few complain about using the "N" word and it is banned.

A few complain about any religious symbol being displayed on public property and they are banned.

BUT, MILLIONS complain about Christ being taken out of Christmas and the FEW are granted their wishes.

etc., etc., etc.

Why is it that when a few complain they get their way but, when MILLIONS complain, their voices are NOT heard?
If Christians cared about the date of Christ's birth, they would celebrate it at the proper time (sometime in late summer), not in December.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
FYI both "winter" and "spring" breaks are for Christian holidays...(Christmas and Easter also Christmas is on a Sunday this year, which is why the break does't begin until the 26th).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies